Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New addition to my rig

Nils Salthe Helberg

For a long time I've been dreaming about getting a good proper organ sound into my rig. Several alternatives have been considered.

After a lot of thinking and tryouts I ended up entering the virtual instrument world.

I got myself a M-audio audiophile interface which I set up with my 3 years old Medion Laptop Computer. Then I got NI B4II. The desicion fell on the computer version because of practical reasons. I guess everybody wants to have a real B3. But for transportation and storage reasons i went for the computer version.

After using it for a month including some gigs and stuff I'm very happy.

Question: I am thinking about getting a virtual piano. Any tips about a nice one which can be used on a laptop with 512 DDR. 40GB hard-disk. and be used together with the B4II.

How do I switch between two different "virtual synths" in a live situation?

Korg Triton LE 61

Novation KS5

Native Instruments B4II

Medion Laptop computer

M-audio Audiophile USB interface.

Fender Japan Jazzmaster 62'reissue

Epiphone Les Paul

Ibanez AS-73

Vox AD50VT

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted by Nils Salthe Helberg:

Any tips about a nice one which can be used on a laptop with 512 DDR. 40GB hard-disk

Your really limited with that amount of memory and hard drive size. You may be able to use Galaxy Steinway or EASTWEST/PMI Bosendorfer 290. I just not sure how well they'll run or how stable they'll be.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by misterdregs:

Did you see this thread?

"Cautionary tale - first and last laptop gig"

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/18/t/019874.html#000004

It all depends. He's been using it for a month and it's been working fine. I think the problem in Konaboy's case was that he tried to gig on the second day of using the machine.

How do I switch between two different "virtual synths" in a live situation?

-------------------------------------------------

You have to adjust different virtual instruments to different midi channels: for example, hammond on midi channel 1 and piano on 2. You will have to change midi channels from your dedicated midi controller -so you've better find one that has this control clear and handy- and everything will work just fine

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Archived