Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

which SRX can you recommend

delirium

I want to have first quality grand piano in my juno-g so I thought I'd add SRX card. But not sure

which one. Some to consider are:

Ultimate Keys Exp. Board

Complete Piano Exp. Board

Concert Piano Exp. Board

any tips? Are these sounds MUCH better then what originally ships with fantom boards or just a little?

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant tell you about the fantom board, but I have the concert piano card, and after playing with it for 6 months, I don't think I could ever go back to the on-board piano sounds on my RD-700. It really is that much better to me. Its just richer and fuller. The concert card doesn't have anything but different acoustic piano samples, but man are they good. I would highly reccomend it based on personal experience.

-J

I use the SRX-12 (much better Rhodes) and SRX-11 (better piano) and am satisfied. I sold my SRX-07 "Ultimate keys" to make room for the SRX-11.

I think the "Ultimate Keys" is very weak for EPs but the organs and basses are OK.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

FYI juno-g piano is not the same as Xa, that's for sure. It's better, for me it's same as in fantom X,

but I don't like it too much anyway. It's OK but

when key is pressed harder sound is changing to "metalic" kind and very bright. It's fine though when played soft. Maybe there is a way to tweak it somehow.

I hope SR-11 doesn't have that problem.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

thanks guys, looks like SR-11 or SR-02 is for me.

Although I can see much better reviews for SR-11 (complete piano) everywhere.

BTW what it takes to install William Coakley's Perfect Piano on the keyboard, is it also a card?

I heard great things about this piano sound.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Hi.. Iv got a RD700SX and always wondered which r the 2 srx cards to add on...

Iv had a taste of these cards at a shop in japan..

I liked 6 - complete orchestra , 8 platinum trax and 9 - world collection.

They seem like collections of waveforms of roland's SR-JV series...does that mean the sounds are 'dated' compared to SRX 4,7,10?

suggestions anyone?

Originally posted by delirium:

FYI juno-g piano is not the same as Xa, that's for sure. It's better, for me it's same as in fantom X,

When I went through the waveform ROM of the Juno G, the piano waves were the two layer Ac.Pno waves from the Fantom S and Xa, and not the new four layer JzPno waves of the X. The actual patch may be a re-working of those older waves though.

I own or have owned every SRX card. My favorites are:

SRX-12. For the obvious reasons. Covered in detail in other threads.

SRX-11. This is the best ac. piano Roland has available. If you don't like the jump in brightness you can always eliminate the highest velocity level. You can do the same with the Rhodes on the SXR-12. I don't mind the highest level on the 11, but like my Rhodes a little less jumpy.

SRX-03. I always found the Studio card to be useful. A nice Rhodes (Taxi Rhodes) though not as nice as SRX-12. Excellent muted trumpet, jazz flute, jazz guitar (when editted). The acoustic and electric guitars are a pretty nice improvement. The nylon string is good but not as good as the excellent nylon found in the Fantom X. The Finger Tappn' preset is my favorite agressive lead guitar on the Rolands.

I'm less of fan of the SRX cards that are compilations of the JV waveforms. If you really need those sounds, like World and Orchestra, then OK but in generally they aren't nearly as nice as the newer waves.

Busch.

As a jazz player, I use the Rock Piano #4 on the SRX-11, it's a little brighter and more present live and doesn't jump to the highest velocity as obviously. After many hours of trying different layer adjustments with the different patches in the SRX-11 I found that if I just -5 the velocity on my JV-2020 host module I don't notice the jump into the highest velocity level very often. And I am using the Medium Touch setting on my FP2 controller! On the SRX-12 I am able to use Patch #1 without any edit except the -5 velocity tweak.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived