Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Voiceworks or Voicelive?

Aidan

As a good pianist but barely competent vocalist, I'm considering TC Helicon's Voicelive for a) a decent reverb channel b) a little vocal thickening and c) some sparing use of the harmonies feature. But mainly it's a security blanket for my own very mediocre singing!

As most of the time I'll be using my piano's midi info to drive any harmonisation, I wonder whether I'm better off just getting the Voiceworks and a three way footswitch (for bypass, harmonies off/on). This would be cheaper and of course I could then have the unit at eye level - I think I've already seen a post here pointing out that particular incovenience with the Voicelive as far as keyboard players are concerned.

On the other hand, I don't have a rack unit to put the Voiceworks in - I use a two-tier Quiklok type stand, so are there any add-on units I could get to house just this one unit within that rig? I don't plan on building up a huge effects/modules rack as we're mainly talking about solo piano/vocal lounge music here.

Any suggestions/observations welcome. Thanks.

Aidan

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump. Any comments, please? I know there are at least a couple of users of both out there! Thanks.

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

I have a VoiceLive which I use occasionally for pretty much the same things you want to (thickening/fx, occasional harmony). I have no problems having it down by my feet. The key is knowing where the presets you're gonna use are...easy enough to manage.

I don't use it a lot though, so I doubt I'll be able to answer any in-depth questions.

dB

Sorry for the delay, had not been here for a while. It actually does much more than meets the eye, and you1re bound to end up using it a lot as soon as you learn how.

I am a regular user of VoiceLive, and control every single feature via MIDI. I never touch the footswitches.

For the use you describe the cheaper version (VoiceWorks) would suffice. The only difference besides the obvious format/footprint is that the VoiceLive features a mono separate channel for processing instrument signals (e.g. an acoustic guitar). The rest is exactly the same (engine, features, etc.).

My experience is that keyboard players (specially piano players) are already busy with their feet and would be better off controlling any extra gear on the very keybed they are playing. I program any changes I every tune on a specific note of the keyboard (usually the first and second extreme left keys) that I do not intend to use for playing notes. I use those to step UP and DOWN the VoiceLive's song steps. I have the songs pre-programmed.

It's all just a matter of getting used to it and incorporate the controlling of the VoiceLive into your normal playing movements. For fancier stuff (continuous controls for instance) I program the sliders in my XP-30.

Let me suggest something: You could use the 100 bucks difference you'll save by choosing VoiceWorks instead of VoiceLive to buy yourself a Midi Converter (I have a MidiSolutions Event Processor Plus) which will simplify the controlling of the voice processor from your keyboard. It is an extremely simple gadget that lets you convert any incoming MIDI command (a key note, for instance) into any other MIDI command (Song Step Up, for instance).

If you want to ask anything else, feel free to PM me, I'll be glad to help :thu: .

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Archived