Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound Pro-3X

MightyTonewheel

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't help ya on the new models, but I didn't like my original Pro3T at all. It was shrill, and had that hyped AM sound since it didn't have deflectors.

YMMV with the new model.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Originally posted by Analogaddict:

I'm with Mr. Nighttime; I like the Pro-3t. I liked it even more after purchasing a Speakeasy preamp for it!

If you're interested, Motion Sound is selling a few Pro 3Tms via their website at a significant discount. They are in the "demo" section, but are being built NEW from the end of the parts inventory. They have full warranty.

I'm not sure if the improvements in the new model are worth it, but the older model (with shipping) is about 30% off if you don't mind waiting 3-4 weeks.

http://www.motion-sound.com/demo_gear2.htm

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I personally think the new solid-state based FET-emulating Pro-3X is way better than the tube-based Pro-3T (it's also a lot cheaper).

And I was initially biased against it as a former tube snob (I was already getting over this after switching from a tube preamp to the Class "A" solid-state Avalon U5 for my bass guitar).

To me there is a smoother and more predictable response, with deeper character in the bass. Less need for a low rotor, except for those church gigs or really big gigs.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

I could have made it more clear in my last post:

The old Pro 3Tm is about 30% cheaper than the new Pro 3X, not 30% less than it's old price. IIRC, the new model is somewhat cheaper than the old one.

Sorry about the confusion.

Edit: I am not associated with MS or any retailer. I just ran across this recently and ordered one.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I was curious, so I checked the manual on the Pro3TX. There are a couple things I'm not sure that I'd like.

First off, I'm a bit of a tube purist myself. I like the unpredictability of the tube over the FET, but that's just me.

The addition of more tone controls might be a good thing.

What I won't like is the setup for the low sim/mike. I run my Pro3TM into a couple channels in my board. The low sim on the Pro3TM is stereo, so there is a nice sense of movement like a low rotor when running a stereo amp like I do. The Pro3TX low sim in mono.

The Mike on the Pro3TM has it's own output, so you can send it to its own channel. I like that, so I can use the board's tone controls to adjust the horn tone, and use another stereo channel to adjust the low sim's tone. The mike output for the Pro3TX is a mix of the low and high. I prefer the additional control I have with the Pro3TM.

I found with my Pro3TM that it's important in a rock band setting to use the horn mike. When I first got it, I ran the horn volume with no mike support, and after a while shredded the horn's diaphram. $80 for a replacement. Since then I've turned the volume down and utilized the mike.

If my Pro3Tm ever fails, I'll probably go with the TX, but for now the TM is the one for me

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived