Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Regarding file sharing etc

Cartoonist Gary Larson is not happy about people scanning his cartoons and put them on their web sites. Is his aproach futile? [url=http://www.portmann.com/farside/home.html]A letter from Gary Larson[/url] /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I admire and respect his honesty. The main thing that gets lost in these file sharing/intellectual propertty rights debates, are the feeling of the artist's themselves. It's easy to overlook that. But we shouldn't.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

That's a very thoughtful letter. I can only hope that it came from Larson's pen, not his lawyer's (although I assume this is the case). In fact, I think that it is so moving that I would love to use part of it on my material- too bad that would violate the letter's very premise.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity: [b]Didn't he die a few years ago?[/b][/quote]I believe you're thinking of B. Kliban, that father of the satirical cartoon in the style of Larsen. There's a short bio of him here: http://store.yahoo.com/pomegranate/abbklib19.html
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I agree with him 100%,but.............,he also has to realize that once you put your work out there you can't control how others percieve it.If you wan't your work to affect people as only you want it to(impossible),then don't put it out.That said,I miss the Far Side and Gary.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln Hammer: [b]I agree with him 100%,but.............,he also has to realize that once you put your work out there you can't control how others percieve it.If you wan't your work to affect people as only you want it to(impossible),then don't put it out.That said,I miss the Far Side and Gary.[/b][/quote]I don't think he is concerned about the perception of his work, just the illegal re-purposing of it.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

originally posted by Mats: [quote] Is his aproach futile? [/quote]He (Gary Larson) is just trying to be nice AND save himself the trouble of trying to sue the thousands of people who use his creations illegally. If people don't have his permission to use his work it is called stealing. Why is this such a hard topic for people to understand? Then, when the person who is being stolen from complains, everyone accuses him/her of being an asshole? When I first started coming to this forum there was a huge battle going on over "file sharing". I stayed out of it, but I read the threads hoping someone would shed some light on me as to why it isn't stealing. It never happened.

Archived