Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the Anti-Christ here now?

I am not religious, though I consider myself spiritual. I was wondering if anyone truly feels these may be the end times. It seem damn near every Bush headline I read could be purported to support that line of thinking. The latest one, him supporting changes to OT laws, just makes me crazy. How many bad things is this maniac gonna get behind? CNN's site states that there are 2603 religions in the US today. Which are you? (Agnostic here)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn! The "end times" here again? I was told twenty five years ago that THOSE were the end times. My Mom once told me a co-worker of her's in the '50's said THOSE were the end times! And I understand that back in the 1880's, a group of folk travelled out west somewhere to sit and wait for the end to come, because THOSE were the end times! So far, it seems the "end times" will NEVER end! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well, theoretically, the "anti-Christ's" arrival would not signal the "end of the world". Hell...if I remember correctly, there aren't too many (major) religious beliefs with the notion that all things will come to a "final". Many do say that the end as we know it will come, but nothing final. That said...there are a couple of "enlightened" societies of long ago, plus a few others, who believe it will all end, and regurgitate itself between 2012 and 2015. The Mayans in particular believe something to the effect of the Universe restarting itself every 5000 years. An anti-Christ-type is here, but he's not what you think, and it's never the end. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

[quote]Originally posted by aliengroover: [b]An anti-Christ-type is here, but he's not what you think, and it's never the end. Peace[/b][/quote]So who is he????

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]So who is he????[/b][/quote]He goes by the name of Cheney I believe.It is also rumoured that he lives in a heavily guarded bunker,but there are no reliable sources to have claimed to have ever seen him.The other rumor is that he goes by the name of Bin Laden,and that he lives an a heavily guarded cave.I think just to be sure,we should hunt down both and eliminate both,then we could make way for the next crackpot quoting some oudated and misconstrued doctrine.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

The notion of [i]end times[/i] was given a push by the formation of the state of Israel in 1948, since this act figures prominently in the prophecies. One other event that would work similarly is the creation of a Hebrew temple on the mount if one is built. Jerry PS: I notice that the [i]Left Behind[/i] series of [i]end time[/i] fiction is doing very well in the bookstores: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0842357459/qid=1044098772/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/002-4071178-6008049?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The last Anti-Christ sighting I was aware of was Gorby from the USSR. There were books about it too -though probably glorified pamphlets... The thing is, with all of the confusion and mixed messages going around today, and everybody thinking that THEY know the answer, I don't understand why people aren't listening to what *I* think!?!?!? :eek: [quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b] CN's site states that there are 2603 religions in the US today. Which are you? [/b][/quote]Jedi Knight [img]http://www.lucasforums.com/images/smilies/lsabre.gif[/img] "May the Force Be With You" [img]http://www.lucasforums.com/images/smilies/eobi.gif[/img]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

(flame suit on) I'm Roman Catholic, myself. I have trouble believing that there will be an end time, though. I'm sure there will be sometime, especially after Bush gets us all killed, but until then, I find it hard to believe. And yes, I've read Revelations and I know a lot of this stuff has happened...but don't you think it's only happened because it's been written in a Holy text such as this? That's why I have trouble believing this. If a temple is built on the mount, would it not be because it's in the back of their heads already? I dunno.... I want to believe and be a good Christian boy, but things are so unorganized and weird.

The end is a bunch og bull imho. (flame suit: engaged) That thought pops up in every time period. Happens at every turn of a century or millenium. Happens when dictators start world domination (Napolean, Hitler). Happens with a with a severve outbreak of disease (plague, aids). Happens with every large war (WWI, WWII, Cold War etc.....). But yet we are still here, still going on. Bad things happen, especially at bad times. We'll get through it; always have; been through worse.

[quote]Originally posted by SteveRB: [b]What's an OT law ? What is a thing maniac ?[/b][/quote]I was going to ask the same question, but I didn't want to appear stupid and have to endure everybody making fun of me and thinking that I'm not [i]'cool'[/i]. But now that you've asked, everyone can just make fun of you instead... :p

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

well, i am a very, very, very revived Christian(Thanks to a 3 day retreat/revival that was outstanding, fun and amazing to see the true work of God)so, i may look on the subject differently but I don't think well know if the real anti-christ is here until he fulfills the prophecies about him. And if the son of Satan should happen to come up in the world, i'll know that the end is near and read the book of Revelation and see what will be next and praise God and get my life straight with Him in the mean time. JDL, Godbless

Well, I think most Christians (myself included) believe we are living in the "end-times". But that doesn't mean we think the world's only got 10 years left. We might have 50 years left, we might have 100, or 200, but I don't think we'll get to 3000... Jesus said he'd be back [b]soon[/b], but that's almost 2000 years ago, so God's time scale isn't something we can comprehend. Actually, the end-times (in a Christian perspective) sort of refers to the period between the first and second coming of Jesus Christ. In Revelations, the animal (or anti-christ if you will) is widely considered to refer to the Emporer Nero. There are TONS of symbols and metaphors in Revelations, and many seem to refer to Nero, Rome and the Christians who became martyrs. In hebrew, the number 666 also spells Nero. The book can be read as a historical text and as an apocalyptical text. One should be extremely carefull about what one "deciphers" from it. One should have a very thorough understanding of the Old Testament before trying to study Revelations. This is a difficult subject, and EVERY single thing one can say about it is pure guess-work. Thankfully, noone knows how, or even if, the world's going to end. Let's just make the best out of the time that's given to us!

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Interesting topic. I've always believed that the "Antichrist" would not necessarily be a person, but a [i]system[/i] of government or beliefs that will become nearly all-prevalent. The Bible personifies that system by giving it a name. If you think about it, that system could be well entrenched as we speak...but, as to when the actual end time will be, that remains to be seen.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The Bible seems to personify a lot of things. Then leaves the rest to allegory. People who take it all literally seem to be missing some kind of point, to me. many fundamentalists try to explain the bible is the word of God, but history proves the book was written by people. that being the case, it's wise to consider much has been lost in the translation. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by SteveRB: [b] [quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b]The latest one, him supporting changes to OT laws, just makes me crazy. How many bad things is thing maniac gonna get behind?[/b][/quote]What's an OT law ? What is a thing maniac ?[/b][/quote]Ack ..Sorry Overtime law, and I meant 'things is this'

Somebody is always going to think that he is living in the end times, and his popularity depends on how well he can convince others of the same. If were going to the bible, I might take the time to remind you that the bible states explicitly that no one will know when the end will come, save the Big Guy upstairs. So, as long as someone "knows" that this is the endtimes, the endtimes can never come. Like that logic? If you are creative enough, you can use the bible to explain anything. Do not mistake me here, I am a believer who goes to church every sunday on my own imperative, but I have a hard time believing any arguements proven through the bible. I will say with biblical fervence that things are better now than they were in the ages of the past. Life just seems worse now because of the fact that we are brought to the scene of every news-worthy tradgedy. If you are told everyday that the world moves ever closer to the brink of world war three, and that several nuclear nations are unstable and waiting to light the proverbial fuse, the viewer can't help but imagine that this is the end. For anybody interested in the end of the world, or just good drama, I urge you to rent and watch the modern remake of the movie "On the Beach." It's a very powerful end emotional drama about the last people to die after a worldwide nuclear exchange.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

whitefang- Your absolutly right about translations being skewed. The translations from original text to modern languages makes all sorts of mistakes. EX: It is said that Moses crossed the Red Sea trying to escape the Egyptians. When scientists looked at it, they found that the word for 'red' and the word for 'reed' were very similar, and that the original text most likely said Sea of Reeds, which could be any shallow area. Investigating the Torah/Bible as a historical record is pretty interesting. There are all sorts of scientific explanations other historical data that coresponds to stories in the Bible. They have alot of these shows on the History Channel, TLC, Discovery; always interesting to watch.

Archived