Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

attention all Hammond spotters!

Ian Sharrock

Any of you guys recognise this Hammond, and have you any idea how much they are going for?

It's currently lanquishing in the corner of the studio at the college, & the music teacher would really like to know if it's worth flogging. I've tried the organ on it's own. Seems to work fine although I freely admit to being the kind of Philistine who knows a lot about clonewheels but not the real thing :rolleyes:

Oh, what's the going rate for a Leslie 147 in good condition? (looks ok though I haven't fired it up). There's one of those as well!

http://www.d-zien.com/hammond.jpg

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by retrokeys:

Looks like one of the old L models. Watch for those overhanging keys. They can snap if you hit them too sharply on the end. I imagine you could get this for next to nothing. The leslie is worth more. Have fun

My guess is M-100, comparing the stop tab configurations with pictures in my "Beauty in the B" book. If so, it would be slightly more valuable than an L, but not by much. Mid 60's home model, tonewheel. Maybe worth $200? Yes, the Leslie is worth more.

- Bob

The original M's the 1, 2 and 3 were the best in that they used B-3 sized tone wheels (although fewer of them) and had waterfall keys. Back in the day they were popular for portabalizing. Even today these are the spinets you want. There is a cut down version of one of the later L's or M's on the BB Organ website under customer rigs. Apparently the guy who owns it got it for 7.50 at a thrift store. Who knows what some of these things will fetch. A friend of mine got an M3 on the provision that he move it. Doesn't get cheaper than that.

I gave my old M3 to a church. I wasn't playing it, so I thought it should go to a good home. I hope it's still being played.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

L-100 and M-100's are similar in tab appearence. A L-100 will have only an "ON" switch, while the M will have a start/run set of switches. And they're right above regarding the M having scanner vibrato versus electronic vibrato on the L. Since it *looks* like a pilot light next to the switch area, I would venture a L-100. Looks like it has reverb I and II tabs also!

If it is an L, don't let Keith Emerson near it. For either a L or M I would only pay $0-200.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

I'd also suggest an "L" model. It looks very much like an L122 I had several years ago except for slight differences in the woodwork. L's are great sounding little organs, even if they're not the full B3/C3/A100 shooting match.

Best wishes

Dan.

Yikes...my bad...I didn't realize the M100 looked so much like the L100...so, er, maybe that organ my brother fixed up was really and M...I told him it was when I gave it to him but he argued with me and I believed him :)

my spinet organ is an M102 which is slightly different

For my own education, when did Hammond go to single swtich starting on both the L's and M's? Like HammondAV I thought the L's had a single switch and the Ms kept start and run. Had me fooled. BTW, great old catalog pictures. Like looking through the "wish books" of times gone by. I'd be curious now if the original poster has gotten behind this beast and found the model number yet? If so, I'd like to hear the answer.

Thanks for posting all this. Neat catalog.

Are all these organs tonewheel? I understand there are differences among them, but I'm just wondering if I ever came across one super cheap or whatever if they all are. (I know some Hammond models somewhere later on didn't have the tonewheels, but never remember which, and I don't know if they had some other non-tonewheels earlier on).

Another question is why do all these shots try to make them look like they are in someone's home? Why don't any of them have Emerson's Knife stuck between the keys and a roaring crowd in the background? :D j/k

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Originally posted by retrokeys:

For my own education, when did Hammond go to single swtich starting on both the L's and M's? Like HammondAV I thought the L's had a single switch and the Ms kept start and run. Had me fooled. BTW, great old catalog pictures. Like looking through the "wish books" of times gone by. I'd be curious now if the original poster has gotten behind this beast and found the model number yet? If so, I'd like to hear the answer.

Well, I tried to get behind the beast but the temp. music technology teacher wedged it in so good I couldn't make out any plate.

Looking at the catalogue pikkies (thanks to everyone who helped here) it looks closest to an L-122. Not sure how much those go for.

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

er, no, if the first pic in this thread is the organ in question, it is most definitly not an L-122

looking again at the picture, it looks just like the organ I have, the cabinet looks like an M-102 but there may have been more variations of the M-100 that I don't know about

Originally posted by Joe Muscara:

Thanks for posting all this. Neat catalog.

Are all these organs tonewheel? I understand there are differences among them, but I'm just wondering if I ever came across one super cheap or whatever if they all are. (I know some Hammond models somewhere later on didn't have the tonewheels, but never remember which, and I don't know if they had some other non-tonewheels earlier on).

Another question is why do all these shots try to make them look like they are in someone's home? Why don't any of them have Emerson's Knife stuck between the keys and a roaring crowd in the background? :D j/k

Yes, all those organs are tonewheel.

Mr. Hammond was retired but still alive when KE was in his heyday. That sound you hear is him turning over in his grave as we speak of knives today.

Moe

---

My guess of M-100 series was based on the upper row of tabe stops - the organ in question has a configuration like the M-100 pics. The M has more tab stops than the L. Also, look on the right side tab stops - 1 stop alone, then a space and then 2 more stops. The L's right hand configuration is 2 + 2.

- Bob

I had an M-100 paired with a Leslie 145 (or maybe a 125... can't quite recall) and it sounded pretty good. Sold it to a little old lady who wanted something to practice on. She played in church.

I have a blond M-3 in my garage gathering dust. Probably should sell it (cheap).

Archived