Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how long can coke stay in a can?

this is weird... just now i noticed a very odd noise coming from across the room. barely noticable at first, but a lot like a static crackle from a bad mic cord. except when i shut my power amp off, the noise was still there. one by one, i shut everything down, yet the noise was still there, a crackling hissing noise like a cable that is bad. so everything is off, and i can still hear it. i sit in my mix chair, and i can hear it coming from the left and above me. there is no equipment there, so i start to wonder what horrible bug or mouse must be nearby. i do some investigating, and i find that a can of coke has disintegrated and is shooting a very fine mist of soda out of the bottom of the can all over my shelf! i have a coke collection from around the worls, i have cans of coke from germany, check republic, spain, france, and china. i had a can from japan but i was desparate on the plane home and i drank it (dammit!) so the oldest can i have is from china, i bought it in 1993 and its been sitting there on my shelf unopened for 10 years. today the can sprang a leak, and that was the noise i heard. the bottom of the can has a pinhole in it. maybe the acid in the pop ate the can? anyone know anything about this? i find it all very bizzare. i have taken very good care of my coke collection and its important to me for some odd reason and i dont want to lose it, but i may if the cans all disintegrate. currently the china coke can is in the sink spraying all its cokey goodness down the drain :cry:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had this happen to me too. I brought a can home from Italy a few years back. I had it sitting on my wall unit for the longest time. One day, I was sorting "spaghetti" behind the wall unit and noticed that there was coke all over the wall and cables. I looked at the can and found a small pin hole in it. I was rather upset. I asked my room mate about it and he had no idea what happened. I guess the acid in the drink eats away at the aluminum over time...

do you still have the can? i had a can of beer from germany "spring a leak" :D (i got to drinkin one nite and it was the only beer i had...tasted great for beer sittin around for about 4 years :D :D :D ) i still have that can, but its empty :p

Actually, no. I threw the can out. It became more of an eye sore. I put a piece of tape over the hole to stop it from leaking. Unfortunately, I gather the can had a low air pressure when I did it. The can eventually caved in on itself.

It wouldn't surprise me that different countries use different metals in their cans, depending on costs, health laws, etc. As a sorta-related example, you can buy very inexpensive cookware in Turkey, but they line it with solder (50% or so lead) and hence you shouldn't cook with it. I wouldn't worry about the rest of your collection, just make sure you don't store your Van Goghs directly underneath them! Have you been to that little burger/coke shop in Brookings, SD (just down I-29 from Fargo)? Its world-famous for its coke collection; I can't remember the name of it or even know if its still there (college at SDSU in 1980-1983).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Believe it or not, I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a chemical engineer, and he was talking about aluminum soda and beer cans. He said that they are coated on the inside with a small amount of a polymer to protect the aluminum from the beverage and the beverage from the aluminum. He went on to say that if the inside were not coated, the coke would eat through the can in about a week. So it's a good guess that the soda made it through the polymer and the can. He also said that about 100 billion of those cans are made in the US every year. Makes you think about recycling huh?
- Calfee Jones

[quote]Originally posted by JPMIII: [b]I can belive it, I know guys in the steel mills would use coke to eat the rust off of bolts. Try it, just put a bolt in a glass of coke overnight and see what it does do it. Imagine what that's doing to your stomach, yikes![/b][/quote]Cleans pennies really slick, too. And car battery terminals.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Don't accidently spill it on your car, it'll eat the paint away and quick. I used to refinish furniture. One of my favorite stains is to take some nails, a couple cans of coke and and put them in a coffee can for about 2 weeks. You'd be surprised what you end up with. The concoction is amazing for that old and distressed look! Rick

[quote]Originally posted by Rick Kreuzer: [b]Don't accidently spill it on your car, it'll eat the paint away and quick. I used to refinish furniture. One of my favorite stains is to take some nails, a couple cans of coke and and put them in a coffee can for about 2 weeks. You'd be surprised what you end up with. The concoction is amazing for that old and distressed look! Rick[/b][/quote]Hmmm, maybe that's what Hank can use to finish his marimba, then they'll [i]both[/i] look "distressed"!! :D

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

What??? IF you keep a can of coke in a car in tempratures below freezing you will have to scrape more than the outside windows. They will explode. My wife left an unopened can in the cupholder of her car this past weekend and a little while later I had a beautiful coke colored ice sculpture on the inside of the windsheild. took 45 minutes to get the window where i could see out of it.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

[quote]Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose: [b]Here's a tip I picked up from my girlfriend: keep a 6-pack in your car; not only does it clean battery terminals but it makes an excellent de-icer when poured over an iced up windshield! YUM![/b][/quote]I always laugh at that- my father was a race car driver and mechanic... they always used the coke to do the battery terminal thing. Then one day, he really critically thought about it- there is nothing special in coke! Just use water! That's what's doing the work.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

You might want to consider draining your collection an keeping the cans. just poke a small hole in the bottom, where it won't be visible, and let the coke spill out into the sink. you could even fill them with sand or whatever, put a dollop of hotglue in the hole to seal it, so they are weighty. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I think it depends on if it is Coke in a can on your shelf, or Coke in the can of a Nicaraguan woman flying over the Atlantic. Two very different shelf lifes.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by thrashole369: [b]What??? IF you keep a can of coke in a car in tempratures below freezing you will have to scrape more than the outside windows. They will explode. My wife left an unopened can in the cupholder of her car this past weekend and a little while later I had a beautiful coke colored ice sculpture on the inside of the windsheild. took 45 minutes to get the window where i could see out of it.[/b][/quote]Person experience shows that this only occurs with glass bottles; plastic or cans just freeze. Try it in your freezer or outside if you don't believe me. If the liquid's frozen you obviously can't pour it; but it does a remarkable job melting the frost from windshields, even when the liquid's cold (whereas hot/warm water is both inconvenient & a potential glass-breaker). As for the battery terminals, perhaps water does work (though I bet carbonated water works better). "Soft" drinks are very acidic (especially the darker ones, with their particular formulas) nearly equal stomach acids for corrosiveness. Now back to the bad news on TV. :(

Archived