Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wayne Shorter's "High Life"...

I bought this 1995 release when it came out, having been a huge Weather Report fan for many years. I didn't like it very much. Then it got a Grammy award (Best Jazz Composition?) and I tried listening to it again; and again, it just didn't click with me. I'm giving it another shot, and either it was just not a very good set of compositions or my jazz ears just aren't developed enough to appreciate it. It sounds like Wayne just throws chord after chord one right after another, without any thematic or melodic development whatsoever. I agree the playing on it is superb, but I honestly could not tell you what key a single song is in, they meander so much. Anyone on this forum "get" this album? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did the same thing. Bought the CD cause I like Shorter and I saw it won the Grammy. Must be good right... I remember it didn't really strike me as being that great. And didn't listen much after the first 3 times. I'll listen again this weekend and see if I feel the same way. Marc
Searching for a new sig

It didn't grab me, either. Doesn't mean it's not any good, though. Just not our cup of tea. I, too, am a Weather Report freak, but they put out what I thought were a couple bad ones. My earliest hero, Bob Dylan, didn't do anything in the '80's that I liked, and my main guitar man, John McLaughlin released that dissapointing "The Promise" CD as well. NObody can always hit 'em outa the park! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I personally like Wayne's "High Life" very much. Certainly there are a lot of chord progressions and modulations in many of the tunes, but I find that very appealing. It seems that often the shape of the chord progression IS the thematic development as opposed to a stritly melodic approach. I can see where that might bug some people, but I dig it. High Life is as much a Marcus Miller record as it is a Wayne Shorter record. I find most of the Marcus production to be supportive of the compositions even though it leans more toward a pop/funk treatment than the typical Zawinul textures. It's kind of slick, but mostly in a good way. I agree that even if you don't particularly like the compostions or production, you can't deny Wayne's fine playing on the record. For a more direct and pure approach to thematic development try the Wayne and Herbie 1+1 CD.

It's funny that you all think of Weather Report when talking about Wayne Shorter, that connection doesn't even occur to me :) I'm all about his Blue Note stuff and the work he did with Miles Davis. Not that I have a problem with Weather Report or anything, I just found it interesting. I do like [i]some[/i] of their stuff. Unfortunately the only CD from them I have is a clunker (imho) Anyone heard the work he did on Material's Hallucination Engine. Now THAT is some dope shit!

I purchase High Life when it first came out and could not have been more disappointed. The next year, realizing that taste mature, I tried it again. Still sucked. How could 2 of my favorite muscians release such a lame cd? Finally about 2 years ago, I put it on and wished that I had made notes about what I disliked about the cd. Next thing you i'm transcribing bass and sax lines like a maniac (I rarely do transciptions)and trying to get the guys to play a few of the songs on jazz gigs. I don't know what to say about this cd except that I think that it is great.

I have to agree with Pigknuckles, I like "High Life" a lot. I'm with you all as far as first listening to it - I'm thinking way to much orchestration, etc. But I put in my car and kept listening to it and at some point - about 10 listens into it - wham!, it hits you - the guy is a frickn' genius. For me, he is the best tenor/soprano player around - his playing is so "human". I agree, that a release, like "Joy Rider" is easier to relate to from the start, but give "High Life" a few more listens - It'll click. BTW: I didn't jump on the band wagon when it got the Grammy nod - on the contrary, I was telling all my friends that it would WIN a Grammy. And if your not into that kind of Jazz right now, don't sweat it... Listen to again in a couple of years - just don't get rid of it, it may be hard to find later. Later, Pete

Archived