Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Flu like" virus in your area?

2 weeks ago they closed a local middle school because more or less the entire population was sick... yesterday I had 1 out of 9 students show up; parents of the rest had left messages all saying they were sick and throwing up. Today I had 3 out of 8 students show up. Of those 3 two were an adults and the other one reported that at her school either everyone at school was sick or at home sick. Apparently *900* students are sick from one local HS that has about 2,000 students normally, another of about the same number of students has 33% of their students out sick, and a third there's about 500 students missing. That's only the ones I know about, having talked to parents etc.. The one kid that showed up today was talking about how in his chemistry class today he only had 3 other people in his class, and that everyone he knew either had this sickness or presently have it. It started at one school, then another school got it then another... Apparently the first school is back to 30% of the student body being back at school, but still that's an absurd amount of sick kids. I presume the situation is the same at all of the schools, seeing how the students I have that are sick are a cross-section of the local area. ... and business at the store has been non-existent, usually there's kids always milling about.. seems like other public places are a good bit thinner in population than normal. One of the other two students I have is a doctor, and he said he hadn't heard anything about this - I suppose because it appears to be "the flu" "flu like symptoms", and it hasn't been in the news at all. Has anyone heard about anything like this happening anywhere else in the country? I have a friend in New York who says they had to close a school last week, another in Florida, but "?" This appears to be an actual local epidemic, just here though? If it turns out to be Norwalk that will be interesting...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eeryone seems to be have a nagging cold/Flu-like thing around here including me. After a month of having this thing on and off, I finally broke down and went to the dr yesterday. He gave me an antibiotic shot and a prescription for ampicillan and Clarinex...Lets hope this works because after weeks of being in my head, causing runnning, stuffed up, dizziness, weakness, etc, etc it moved into my lungs..burning when caughing..it sucks!! But i feel better already today....

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

you kiddin me? they sent students home after lunch yesterday, cause so many people were out sick-they didn`t want it going any further around then it already has. BTW, those surgical masks that Michael Jackson wears sometimes-they`ve been using those all over Asia for years. Supposedly they actually do work, they`re a bit much for me. I`ve been lucky so far, only got slammed once last year.

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]you kiddin me? they sent students home after lunch yesterday, cause so many people were out sick-they didn`t want it going any further around then it already has.[/b][/quote]Ha ha, you're in Japan, that's funny - I'm not kidding! This is really weird, I've just gotten email from 2 kid's parents saying their kids aren't coming to lessons tomorrow because they're throwing up all over the place. I've never seen anything like this in 35 years of living in this area, really strange...

This is going ALL over here in Sweden, bug news "Winter Vomit Sickness" it's been dubbed. The nasty part is that it comes back.. you think you are okay only to next day feel crappy with diareea and crap, then you feel better, then you feel bad again.... until it tapers off. We had the whole family (me, wife, 3 kids) home sick for a week+ in this thing. My mom and my wifes parents caught it, and basically everyone even near us got it too. The daycare center where my kids go had 60% of the kids away and several of the staff were temporaries to replace the sick regulars. Etc. It is VERY contagious and we joked that it almost seems to spread via email even. /Z

Luckily it has been so cold in Michigan that germs don't survive outside for long. I guess there is even a silver lining in an artic cold spell.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

There has been a really hot little gastrointestinal virus going around much of the country. My ENTIRE family came down with it over X-mass (like 25 people). Freakin ebola. Highly contageous. Severe vomiting and diarrhea for 20 - 30 hours, then another 24 hours of recovery.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

[quote]Originally posted by audiofreek: [b]The Norwalk virus went through here about a month ago.They closed the hospital down ,accept for emegencies to help stop the spread of the virus.Best defense is to wash your hands frequently,use anti bacterial soap.[/b][/quote]Well, certainly wash your hands, but anti-bacterial soap does nothing to viruses, and increasingly little to bacteria. In fact, anti-bacterial preparations along with the irresponsible use of broad-spectrum antibiotics are contributers to the looming health problem of microbial resistance. As the bugs get resistant, the key to health moves more and more inside--strong immune systems! Like I should talk. I'm sick right now.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Jeeeez.... Anyone ever read Stephen King's [i]The Stand[/i]? Here's the plot: A government-created "super-virus" is accidentally relased into the public, and almost everyone dies as the government tries in vain to cover up the virulent spread of this flu-like virus. When the smoke clears, the world is like the old "wild west," and the remaining immune people gather into two groups -- one good, one evil -- and prepare to confront each other in a battle of biblical proportions. Hijinks ensue. Every time I hear about some kinda flu epidemic, I think of this book. BTW, everyone in my office is coughing and/or sneezing.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]Jeeeez.... Anyone ever read Stephen King's [i]The Stand[/i]? Here's the plot: A government-created "super-virus" is accidentally relased into the public, and almost everyone dies as the government tries in vain to cover up the virulent spread of this flu-like virus. When the smoke clears, the world is like the old "wild west," and the remaining immune people gather into two groups -- one good, one evil -- and prepare to confront each other in a battle of biblical proportions. Hijinks ensue. Every time I hear about some kinda flu epidemic, I think of this book. BTW, everyone in my office is coughing and/or sneezing.[/b][/quote]Yeah...we had it here in KC too. First wave hit us not long after Christmas...everyone either puking or regular flu symptoms. I didn't "pray to the porcelain god" but I had a 102 fever for a day or so. Then another wave. I remember "The Stand". Fortunately, no severe symptoms, just mighty damned uncomfy. I'll bet it's that Bin Laden guy, him and Saddam. Germ warfare. They did close schools here a couple of weeks ago.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Same here in Austin around Christmas - the nasty 24-hour vomiting/diarrhea bug. Then just the other day, I heard an item on the local news about two viruses going around. One flu-like, the other vomiting/diarrhea, that had a bunch of kids out of school sick.

my cousin and her whole family got something called the rota virus which apparently you might have to be hospitalized for dehydration because you puke and shit so much and cant keep anything down. i have been sick way more than normal this year but no fevers [knock on wood]... just stuffed up head colds and coughs.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Everyone here is sick too and i'm just getting better. Its wierd everyday more and more people arent at school. Whats going on? is the world ending? will snakes run the earth? :confused:
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Both my daughters and their friends just got zapped by this... a one or two day illness with minor fever and vomiting... lotsa fun when they whooosh in the car on the way somewhere... Neither my wife or I felt any effects although we must have been exposed... I guess that means that we probably had it before... if I remember correctly once you get a flu you're immune to that specific version... although apparently there are a couple of hundred that swirl around the world... Just goes to show you how dangerous bio weapons would be... guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]anyway Chip, the point is it`s anything but local...[/b][/quote]Well, it's peculiar that it is so pernicious at the moment. I just came back from CompUSA (and $450 poorer) and I was the only person there (which alone is odd). All the employees were sick, hacking, and the one I had to talk to was carrying on a running conversation with another employee about what the safe amount of Tylenol is to take (I suggested I think it's around 2,500 I believe for a few days). Had to call MOTU today, the secretary was sick. They're shutting down another school in town, and at another a student tells me today they sent a notice home saying that absences wouldn't count against attendence, presumably to try to keep the sick at home. 200 out sick at another 600 or so normally-attended school. At the Publix on the way home, same deal - everyone is sick and talking about how to get better. My point is that *this is different*, and I don't think it's being treated as such and I think it should. If it *is* a particularly virulent version of something common, we should find out what it is because next year it might be worse than just projectile vomiting... (not that that isn't bad enough, that scares the hell out of me).

I took a cold with me to Louisiana early in January, and took home so-called walking pneumonia. Didn't realize it for a week or so, but suddenly I noticed I was feeling and acting like I was about 80. Doctor took one listen to my lungs and jumped out of his chair - "3rd case today! Never seen that before..." I almost never get sick. So it's a bit weird. On top of that I think I might have had the stomach thing as well - hard to tell on .875G of Augmentin twice a day. That shit'll go through you like a roto-tiller. Worked, though. Kicked that damn Pneumo right out of there. I have noticed a lot of people being ill around here, since about the beginning of Dec. JW

Well, the flu goes around extensively every year, could just be that. Many people think they have the flu when they actually have mild food poisoning (although the symptoms aren't totally the same---just the abdominal part). IIRC, meningitis, which is becoming more common amoungst young people, also has some similarity to the flu...though you'd hope that they spotted that if it hit a large populace.

I was in the doctor's office a couple of weeks and there was an "Influenza: myths and facts" brochure that mentioned that vomitting is not a flu symptom, and there is no such thing as "stomach flu". Is this info accurate? Just curious :cool:
meh

I don`t know if there`s anything to this but a friend sent me an e-mail about an outdoor monitoring station in Texas, using a HEPA filter, where they found as yet unidentified biological agents in a sample. The guy who found them says they appear to be dessicated cells, another guy said they look more like pollen, but no one knows for sure.

arghh, woke up this morning and my sinus's are on fire,damn flu season,first time in awhile since i've been sick but i feel this one's gonna be a doozy.Time for some herbal tea.In my area there's been a lot of flu-like stuff going around,a lot of different symptoms though,makes you wonder what's in the "air".
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

Archived