Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha p80

bivanov

I have a yamaha p80 that I play pretty often. I wasn't very careful with it at first and I played it hard, as hard as a real piano. apparently that was too hard, because last summer some of the keys started sticking, as if there wasn't enough lubricant to bring them back up. I gave it to a local music shop to repair it, they charged me $150 and robbed me of my board for 3 weeks. When I got it back the keys didn't stick for about a month and then they started to stick again. Does anyone know of a way that I can repair this myself? Is there a way to open the board and lubricate it without risking serious damage? Because I have another board to repair this summer and I really don't want to spend that money again.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, did you play any less harder after the $150 repair? ;)

Bad on/off button on the XB2, sticking keys P80....

At any rate, I'm not sure that it is a user repairable issue.

I know you don't want to take it back to the shop but....

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by bivanov:

I gave it to a local music shop to repair it, they charged me $150 and robbed me of my board for 3 weeks. When I got it back the keys didn't stick for about a month and then they started to stick again.

As far as I know, after a repair if the same problem recurs in 6 months they have to repair it again without charging you. If I were you I would try my chance. Good luck.

The action on the P-80 is defective. That's why the keys stick. Yamaha has offered and made good to many owners of old, out of warranty P-80 the replacement of the entire action, including me.

Might be something to look into.

The early P80s and S90s have a "silent recall." they aren't advertising it, but if you aks them, and you have th eright serial number, you may qualify for a complete replacement. Otherwise, the only way to fix a sticky key permanently is to buy a new key. They are very thin on one side on the end, and that part breaks (especially if you play like Jerry Lee Lewis).

I've repaired several keys on my P80 and P90. You can try to Superglue it, but that usually only holds for a little while. The keys are fairly easy to replace if you're marginally handy; you just (carefully) pop them in. Yamaha will sell you the keys directly.

By the way, the P80 and P90 share exactly the same form factor. You can even install a P90 mainboard in a P80 and ket P90 sounds (slightly different than the P80).

Your mind is on vacation, but your mouth's workin' overtime - Mose Allison.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same problem, just started today :(

Can anybody tell me how to get the case open? I unscrewed all the larger screws around the left, right and back edges. This allowed me to get the right end of the back off, but the left hand side stayed stubbornly fixed, and I didn't want to force it... is there a knack??

I'm told it's really easy to repair this problem yourself, but I need to get into the case first!!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ant

i haven't worked on any thing produced in the last 6 yrs so may not be a help... i had herad of the recall and that's worth checking into... other than that i never really liked their action in part because of some grease issuses... there are basically three points of contact in there and each one requires a different grease... dont beleive me check it out there are three different part#'s... and if it gets mixed your SCREWED !! also it tends to absorb moisture so if you leave it in the truck over night.. well.. your SCrewed...sense a trend here??? if you tear it aprt and carefully wipe the excess off it generally helps... i've been known to run the keys through a dish washer...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Archived