Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please Help with Hammond XB-2

bivanov

I bought a used xb2 off of ebay around feb 06. The seller told me that it had problems powering on and therefore knocked off $200, so I got it fairly cheap. It did indeed have problems, you had to press the power button 3 or 4 times before it turned on, but I saw it as a minor flaw.

Now, however, it's gotten much worse. I have to practically pump the switch on and off continuously for like 20 minutes before it turns on. Once it turns on, it works perfectly and sounds great. This isn't that bad when its just sitting in my studio because I just leave it on, but it becoms a huge problem when I gig with it, and it makes me feel like a jackass for making everyone wait for me to turn it on.

Any suggestions?

I love this keyboard, it's central to my rig, and I just can't afford a new organ at this point.

I know there is a battery somewhere that I can replace, does anyone know where it is, and how to get to it?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bivanov:

Any suggestions?

Spend the $200 you "saved" and take it to a qualified service depot, and have it fixed, before something even worse happens downstream from the wonky power switch.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Since you are in the Wash DC area, take your XB-2 to ProTech which is a few doors down from Washington Music Center (Chuck Levins) up in Wheaton MD. They will fix it.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oh, and to be clear... the problem you're having has nothing to do with the internal battery.

If you choose to not get it fixed, the intermittent power switch will eventually give out entirely, and the board won't power up, period, and will potentially damage other components within the unit.

Another option is to call Hammond Suzuki directly and talk to one of their techs. If you cannot get work done on it locally, ship it to Hammond and they will fix it for a reasonable fee, assuming it is not completely fried. There is a tech there named Ray that worked on stuff for me several times.

This could be as simple as a fuse problem, but don't try to troubleshoot it yourself and risk causing more harm.

Regards,

Eric

Until you get it fixed, try just leaving the power switch on and plug it into a power strip. That way you don't have to deal with the button.

By all means, though, get it fixed as soon as you can. I've got one board down for the past couple months with a power issue waiting for parts. You don't want that happening with the XB-2. I'm not sure I could get by without mine.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Hammond XB-2s seem to die early. Mine developed a problem with audio - my tech traced it to the RAM ICs and he could do nothing more.

I sold it to Goff Professional as a down payment toward the XK-3, and they can repair any XB-2 problem.

Originally posted by The Real MC:

I sold it to Goff Professional as a down payment toward the XK-3

Hm, when you said xk-3, i think i started to salivate a little...

How much of a down payment did they give you for the xb2?

Hammond XB-2s seem to die early. Mine developed a problem with audio - my tech traced it to the RAM ICs and he could do nothing more.

I see a lot of XBs on Ebay. I wonder if this is the reason?

regards,

--kwgm

I got one off of eBay over a year ago. Good price, perfect condition. People may be upgrading and not wanting to trade it in, so they're selling it.

This is my second XB-2, and I haven't had a moment's trouble with either. I'd still have my first, but it was stolen.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by kwgm:

By the way: musicians insurance--another topic worthy of discussion?

This was discussed not too long ago... a search of the forum should turn it up pretty easily.

Long story short: if you gig, get insurance... 99% of the time, your existing homeowners/renters insurance does not cover your gear, or any equipment you use to "earn income".

However, let's not hijack this thread belaboring the point... ;)

Originally posted by bivanov:

I sold it to Goff Professional as a down payment toward the XK-3

Hm, when you said xk-3, i think i started to salivate a little...

How much of a down payment did they give you for the xb2?

Not a lot - only $200. They don't sell for much more than that on the 'bay so it wasn't worth the trouble.

Archived