Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Who's Worse: Jar-Jar or Gollum?

Most Americans complained bitterly about the JarJar character, but not too much has been said about Gollum, whom someone (I believe Dave Barry) described as "Dick Cheney with a combover". I'm not looking forward to Gollum tagging along throughout the remaining LOTR movie... :freak:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]I'm not looking forward to Gollum tagging along throughout the remaining LOTR movie... :freak: [/b][/quote]I fully disagree with you, Botch... I thought Andy Serkis' portrayal of Gollum was outstanding, and one of the high points of The Two Towers. IMO, he hit the character from the book dead on. The job that the WETA folks did rendering him was also unbelievable...I think it's a cinematographic achievement worthy of an Oscar. Comparing Gollum to the silly, one-dimensional comic relief of Jar Jar is like comparing apples and bricks, if you ask me. dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yeah, I'm with David on this one. Although something bothered me initially about the portrayal of Gollum, when I reflected on it afterwards I decided that it was rather dead-on...the dual personalities of the "good" and "bad" Smeagol would seem to be a rather difficult stunt to pull off from an acting standpoint, and I thought it came off quite well overall. Jar-Jar, on the other hand, was possibly the worst character introduced in media since Scrappy-Doo... Later, kc

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Botch.: [qb] Comparing Gollum to the silly, one-dimensional comic relief of Jar Jar is like comparing apples and bricks, if you ask me. dB[/b][/quote]Well, apples are kinda like bricks ... They are both good in pies and for throwing and bad performers. :freak:
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by coxnvox@aol.com: [b]Jar-Jar, on the other hand, was possibly the worst character introduced in media since Scrappy-Doo... Later, kc[/b][/quote]Damn... this was so true... :( I love Star Wars but Jar Jar was a mess...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

A little off topic, but JAR JAR's portrayal in Episode I, was intergral IMO, relating to the circumstances he deals with in Episode II. Without his comic/bumbling nature, it wouldn't have played nearly as well for him to represent Naboo (is that right?), and play into the dark side's manipulation so well. I dug Gollum, well done. -john

Yeah, i'll have to disagree completely with the anti-Gollum sentiment. Of all the CG characters in movies, this is the crown example, just from a screenplay point of view. From an acting point of view, Gollum is well represented as taken from the book. The `original' Star Wars films, (New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi), were monumental to my childhood. It could be that i was at a more impressionable age when i saw them, but the `New' Star Wars flicks just don't have the same weight to them that the older ones did. I say this completely aside from the abomination that is Jar Jar. In the case of the screenplay of LOTR and TTT, they seem to (in my opinion) render pretty much every other movie i've ever seen rather insignificant. Bookwise, as a kid i read The Hobbit (and liked it), and read part of LOTR, but the true weight and magic of it was probably a bit over my head. I was prompted by the screenplay to attain the book again and read it. I duly recommend that anyone who liked the movie read the book. It is even more engaging than the movie, and it also allows the movie to make much more sense. I'm not at all disappointed with the Movies, but there is so much that is left out (due to time, practicality and whatnot) and the book (as is always the case) is the only way to get The Whole Picture(tm) You will see why it's been said that "The Lord Of The Rings is possibly the Greatest Tale Ever Told".

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I'd love to see the "Chronicles of Narnia" get the same treatment in a movie as LOTR & TTT have gotten. Seven books...we'd all be old before they were finished! Wait a minute...I AM OLD!!

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver needs a new job: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b] Comparing Gollum to the silly, one-dimensional comic relief of Jar Jar is like comparing apples and bricks, if you ask me. dB[/b][/quote]Well, apples are kinda like bricks ... They are both good in pies and for throwing and bad performers. :freak: [/b][/quote]Okay - how about we say "like comparing apples to France". Better? ;) :D dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Jar Jar had no purpose in the story line, and was simply added to mak eit appealing to small kids. Gollum has a history and a role in the entire LOTR series, and was done about as well as anyone could reasonably expect for a CGI character... As someone else said, Jar Jar is more like Scrappy Doo or other lamme ass sidekick. Gollum is a well developed character. no comparison...

I actually don't think Jar Jar is so bad... Even the original films had something like that. The little cute bears that worship C-3PO, the small guys picking up droids and junk and selling it to people... The bears were really silly, but I love them! Star Wars has always had some elements that seem to be for the kids. That's great IMO. Jar Jar was ALMOST pushing it too far, but I think he fitted in OK. And as pointed out earlier in this thread, in relation to his role in the second movie he fits in very well. It took me a little while to "get" Gollum. But now I really dig him. Another one for the kids :) He's done very well indeed. The only thing that bothered me a little at first (about The Two Towers) was that the story is changed a little. Not like in FOTR, where two scenes, that are very much alike, from the book are merged and stuff like that. The scene in TTT where Frodo and Sam come with Faramir and they face the Nazgul on that dragon-like thing... Well, if I remember correctly, that's not in the book at all. The Nazgul does come to Minas Tirith near the end of ROTK, so it might be part of that scene that Peter Jackson has chosen to include in TTT, but I can't imagine why. In the book, at that point, Frodo and Sam go directly to the forrest and then follow Gollum to HER... I just don't see why Jackson would make up that part of the story. 'Cause in the book, Faramir is portrayed as being much wiser and one of stronger will than his brother. He shows in the cave that he can truly understand why it is so important that he must help Frodo as soon as possible. In the book it shows, together with the strength that Aragorn shows, that there IS strength left in the race of men. I think that's pretty significant. I do, however, acknowledge that Peter Jackson can do what he wants with the film, that it might not be as significant as I make it out to be (Jackson has, after all, spent over 7 years preparing to make the film), and that I might remember the whole thing wrong (I don't think I do, but I'm not 100% sure)... Anyway, I'm glad Peter Jackson is the director and not me :cry:

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Gollum was awesome and the second best thing in LOTR - the first being the battle scene at the end. :thu: When I saw Jar-Jar on EpI, he totally annoyed me. When I saw EpI again on video, I realized Jar-Jar really wasn't in the movie as much as I had first thought. This just proved to me how annoying he was to me!

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Jar-Jar is by far the most offensive thing since Rocky from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Gollum is not without flaws (pretty annoying at times), but still a well done character (probably the most interactive character in LOTR actually). And the portrayal in the Two Towers is quite good and only occasionally grating on my nerves.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I read the Hobbit when I was only 10 years and I don't remember much from it, but what I always remembered was Gollum. I think they could not have done a better job at doing his character as they did. Big thumps up :thu: . Jar Jar, OTOH, was kind of lame, and I can tell a cool kid character when I see one. I still watch certain cartoons religiously and am very much in touch with my younger spirit.

[quote]Originally posted by The Matt: [b]Jar-Jar is by far the most offensive thing since Rocky from Rocky and Bullwinkle[/b][/quote]Awright, now you've gone too far! :D

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

Whew, I'm definitely in the minority here, I guess. I agree that they captured Gollum from the book perfectly, but damn he irritated me in the books too! Maybe he just reminds me of my girlfriend's kid too much. :rolleyes:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived