Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

500 Miles High - Other Versions?

Tone Taster

Guys and Gals, I have a very hard time enduring the excusive vocals on the original version. It's so bad, that you actually experience a placebo rush when the tune goes to the solos, and then when they are over with, and the singing comes back in, you just have to shut it off.

Are there any other versions of this tune which you know of?

Can you cite preferably the artist and maybe even the album?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Joe Henderson cover it? I alway's like Flora Purim and I liked the way she and G. Duke did the tune.( i was thinking of the wrong tune..light as a feather..)

oh yea...and Stan Getz

Wow I love that record and Floras vocals are sublime... are we talking about the same record?

Chick Corea - Light as a Feather, or did she do it on Butterfly Dreams?

I guess the LP you mean with Getz is Captain Marvel... is it on there, I knew it had Captain Marvel and La Fiesta...??

Originally posted by orangefunk:

Wow I love that record and Floras vocals are sublime... are we talking about the same record?

yup. It's just that it sounds like an amateur sitting in with the house band

especially that out of time ridiculous falsetto at the end

Flora is a wonderfull singer, musician and human being.And I wont stand for any red-necks putting her down.Get your ears syringed.

Not many singers can do a convincing orgasm (on Stories To Tell)...well maybe Minnie Riperton...

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

hmmm... i always liked her voice .. perhaps has something to do with the raw ethnic vibe.... btw she and airto both list as influences a cat by the name of hermetto pasqual (screw the sypll chukir) any body hip to him... suggest you check out an album call"slaves mass" if you get a chance he actually plays a pig on it...lol
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by BOPBEEPER:

Flora is a wonderfull singer, musician and human being.And I wont stand for any red-necks putting her down.Get your ears syringed.

Not many singers can do a convincing orgasm (on Stories To Tell)...well maybe Minnie Riperton...

First of all, I did not assassinate her caliber of human-ness

Second of all, you can't judge a man by the color of his neck (like alot of people do who, at the same time, don't want to be judged on the basis of color)

Thirdly, It is just my opinion regarding her vocal "style" being inconsistent, mediocre, and not commesurate with the tune at hand.

And lastly, I really must be missing something. Maybe I should take up the bong and the brews again. . . .

. . .. Nahhh , I feel too good for that (better than James Brown, BTW)

Sorry if I was over reacting but I just love what she does. Even if some one might think she sounds 'out of tune' thats the bit I like cause its about an expression of a feeling not purity of tone.

Ive seen her live with various different combinations of musicians over the last few years and Ive always left the gig feeling more than just entertained.

Lately shes had her daughter singing with the band - totaly different but great voice - did a spine chilling solo version of Nina Simone's Feeling Good.

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

Exactly BOP,

The imperfections are what makes it sound so good. Same with a lot of jazz singers in fact... some of them have terrible intonation... but you can forgive that if they are reaching out...

I love Rimona Francis, Kitty Winter, Flora Purim, all those great singers from the 70s who played original music rather than the standards...

It's all a matter of taste I think, even my singer disliked most of the above finding it painful... but I couldn't hear the problem...

Archived