Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Summer NAMM 2006 Reports

Geoff Grace

As most of you know, this year's Summer NAMM Show begins this Friday (July 14th) and will run through Sunday, July 16th at the Austin Convention Center in Texas.

While Summer NAMM traditionally has relatively little of interest to keyboard players compared to Winter NAMM, there are usually a few new developments worth discussing.

Harmony Central is posting regular NAMM gear updates here throughout all of the days of the show.

Please post your Summer NAMM 2006 reports here, for forum members who are not fortunate enough to go to the show.

Feel free to discuss NAMM announced gear, events, and performances in this thread.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Aren't Yamama, Roland and Korg due to release a minor update and give it to us consumers in the form of a new keyboard? :D

I do not believe Korg is attending, and I'm not sure Yamaha is going either.

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I do not believe Korg is attending, and I'm not sure Yamaha is going either.

Yamaha will be there. Look for them at booth 632 and 633.

Korg is not listed in the directory so I guess they're a no show. GEM and Clavia will not be there either apparently.

Roland and Samick (Kurzweil) will be there along with Hammond-Suzuki and Open Labs. :thu:

It's amazing that several Keyboard manufacturers will not be there i.e. Korg, GEM, and Clavia. Possibly they don't like the heat in Austin, TX this time of year? :D OR they simply could not muster up something new that they're proud of? I mean really! Even if it's not a new keyboard at least show up for goodness sakes.. ;) Be there or be square.

Mike

There is talk/rumour of a new high end keyboard with computer integration from Yamaha but probably not for Summer NAMM. Source was from a HC poster who attended a Yamaha clinic and was told the above...

A little vague but I think its highly probable seeing as we haven't seen anything new from Yamaha since the ES (which in itself was an update) save for their other related products.

Let me know if this is around at NAMM, as I'd love a new workstation.

I am arriving late Friday for the show. This will be my first NAMM. Looking forward taking it all in..

Fender is putting on a show with Jimmy Vaughn and friends Friday night, I will probably check that out. Looking forward to some of the after music on 6th street.

Todd

Originally posted by keynote:

It's amazing that several Keyboard manufacturers will not be there i.e. Korg, GEM, and Clavia. Possibly they don't like the heat in Austin, TX this time of year? :D OR they simply could not muster up something new that they're proud of? I mean really! Even if it's not a new keyboard at least show up for goodness sakes.. ;)

Even if it costs you a ton of cash and you don't see much of a return on your investment? :idea:

These shows cost a lot and take a bunch of time - preparing for them as well as the actual shows themselves. If a company decides not to exhibit, it's (usually) not on an idle whim - they've taken a careful look at the costs and benefits and decided it's just not worth it.

Neither of the companies I work for go to Summer NAMM. I'm only going for meetings and to be able to take advantage of a rare opportunity to walk around an MI trade show without having to work it.

dB

Well then, NAMM should consider making the Summer show a public exposition. I mean really - this is the time to publicly show off those goods that are first announced at the Winter show but don't make it to the retail shelves until May or later. Make it a showcase for hot bands to strut their tunes while demoing the latest gear and you've got a hot ticket event.

I remember getting a ticket into Summer NAMM in Atlanta years back and seeing Lee Ritenour demo for Yamaha, Jordan Ruddess demo for Kurzweil, etc... I'd gladly pay to see that kind of Summer show again.

Yeah yeah, so another perfectly useful idea makes a toilet rimshot for a two-point splashdown...

Roland and Samick (Kurzweil) will be there

I believe the Samick/Kurzweil divorce has been finalized. ;)
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

The new Yamaha keyboards at Summer NAMM have already been mentioned here, no ES replacement or high end computer keyboard. The new ones are the CP 300 and CP33, Nocturne Grand, YPG 625, 525, and 225 and PSR E403. There's also the new VX series Controllers from CME.

John

Originally posted by kad:

I believe the Samick/Kurzweil divorce has been finalized. ;)

I don't think they were ever really married if you ask me. ;) More like the 'annulment' has been finalized. :D

If that be the case then Kurzweil is yet another major keyboard manufacturer that will not be at NAMM.

>> Even if it may not be cost effective look at the huge benefit of getting added 'exposure' to not only MI distributors and the retail market but to the vast amount of musicians that watch NAMM with bated breath at what takes place there.

Yeah, Kurzweil may have a new Australian distributor in the making but if they neglect the exposure that NAMM can bring to let the public know that they are back in the forefront and still up and running and in the thick of things musically, then in my opinion it just hinders Kurzweil's overall public image.

That's not so much the case with Korg but it still applies to some degree in my opinion. And to all the others that snub NAMM also in my opinion.

Btw, since Dave Smith Instruments is basically a one man show (two with you Dave :cool: ) I can see where Dave Smith may forego a NAMM or two. Besides, you do an excellent job of promoting his products anyway dB. With your go-getter attitude and work ethic Dave Smith should be very proud. :thu:

And A.D.A.M. is such a niche market (although a very good product I must say) they probably don't reach the majority of the public through a NAMM show because of the high-end aspect of their products with the high price tags that goes along with them. So they are probably better off just advertising through other means like catalogues and their web site and of course of you getting the word out too dB like here at KC or other Forums etc. :cool:

Mike

Well, Armadillo Enterprises is on the vendor list, and they are the US distributor for Clavia, so perhaps there will be a presence from the red horde there after all.

The other thing to realize is that there are trade shows in the world other than NAMM (Musicmesse for example), so companies need to budget their trade show money accordingly.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Wow, I'm glad to see that this thread has sparked such a lively discussion and before the doors have even opened in Austin, yet! :cool:

By the way, I also started a copy of this topic over at Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage. Here's the link:

Summer NAMM 2006 Reports (SSS)

With any luck, that thread will heat up once Craig and a few others check in from Austin. Craig especially contributed a lot to the Winter NAMM version of the SSS thread , and I always look forward to his reports!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by RABid:

So Dave, are you going to walk down to the bridge and check out the bats?

I have no idea what you're talking about... :confused:

dB

Congress Avenue Bridge over the river in Austin, close to downtown, has 750,000 - 1,500,000 bats that come out at dusk. People gather to watch the exidus.

Information here.

And here.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

07/14/06 - Roland Introduces New Products for 2006

Roland unveiled new products for 2006 including the MP-70 Digital Piano, PM-30 Personal Monitor, E-80/-60/-50 Music Workstations, and CUBE 30X/-20X/-15X Guitar Amplifiers at the summer show for the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) in Austin, TX.

more info

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

As most of you know, this year's Summer NAMM Show begins this Friday (July 14th) and will run through Sunday, July 16th at the Austin Convention Center in Texas.

Huh? There is? :D

The only real NAMM is in California. Summer "NAMM-lite" doesn't count. :D:D

(Sorry! It's really slow at work.)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

The Roland E-80 looks like kind of nice with 2 SRX slots. Do I smell a battle is a brewin with Tyros and the E-80.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Originally posted by daBowsa:

I might actually be interested in the new Steinberg bundle if it streets at $99.

Boy, that sounds EXACTLY like the Steinberg StudioCase that was on the market a few years ago.

http://www.cubase.it/news/2003_07/steinberg_studiocase/steinberg_studiocase.jpg

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

And A.D.A.M. is such a niche market (although a very good product I must say) they probably don't reach the majority of the public through a NAMM show because of the high-end aspect of their products with the high price tags that goes along with them.

Niche market? Not sure I agree...there are lots of musicians that need speakers.... :idea:

...and as far as the high price tag thing, I've got pairs for $749 (passive) and $999 (active) - both pretty reasonable, if you ask me... ;)

Why is it that there are people who think nothing of spending several thousand dollars on a synth (or a compressor or a mic), but don't want to spend a lot on the piece of equipment that lets you hear what they really sound like?

BTW - no periods in ADAM.

dB

ADAM Audio USA

Archived