Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please help - keyboard suggestion

Vicks7

Dear All,

Over two years ago, I bought a Yamaha P120S on the basis of a number of reviews in this forum and I have been very pleased with it. Due to work, I now have to work away from home three days a week and I would like to buy a second keyboard which I can use when away from home. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard which will not break the bank. I would rather avoid spending the same kind of money I spent on the Yamaha P120S - maybe a US$250 budget or a little more. It needs to be good enough to be able to practice properly on it but I do not need a host of features as I only need it as a digital piano.

Many thanks in advance

James

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See if you can find a leftover "Radio Shack special." I'm not kidding....do a search on this forum. Digital piano with decent action....actually made by Casio from what I hear. I have one, and I think it will meet your needs.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

If you have a laptop, there are some options in this price range. Otherwise, the cheapest you can get, without using a laptop is probably the Casio CDP-100 ($429 at MusiciansFriend.com). This is the famous Radio Shack special we are all talking about. I have this. It is great for moving around as you can carry it under our arm.

Though we only paid $299 for it at the time ($399 original price), note that the Radio Shack version does not have a stand. So at $429 with a stand, you are pretty close to the Radio Shack price (the stand is listed at $99).

If you have a laptop, you can do what I do for a travelling rig. I have an EMU XBoard 49, and I use this with my laptop to play soft synths (many available for free). An EMU Xboard is $169. It also comes with its own software.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Yeah I'm not going to shell out $99 for the original CDP stand, but then again, for some it looks like furniture. I don't need the stand since I put it in a two tier stand. Maybe someone gets smart at Casio by removing the stand and selling it for $300.

I will not need it as a travelling rig - it will remain in the apartment I am staying in when working away from home. I guess I am looking for the cheapest digital piano which is good enough to practice on for two nights when I cannot use my Yamaha P120S. Any other suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks for the suggestions to date.

Then my original suggestion of the Casio CDP-100 stands. If that price range still does not work ($429) then you'll just have to keep a lookout for a used Casio Privia PX (like a 300 or 100). They were originally $599. Your price range is too low to manuever.

Thanks Jazzwee - I am certainly open to upping the budget if, for example, spending an extra 200 dollars or so would result in a huge improvement cost/benefit wise.

I am slightly limited in what I can purchase as I live in Brazil.

James

sorry to add - I have been doing a quick search and in Brazil the Casio Privia CDP 100 and the Casio PX 300 are priced the same. To look at it another way, perhaps I can get comfortable with spending more money by buying a keyboard now which I can use while I am away from home to practice but which could also be used later for gigging etc (and leaving the Yamaha P120S at home for practice). So any suggestions for a gigging rig which can double as a practice rig for now - would US$1,000 - US$1,500 get me something half decent?

Thanks again and sorry for all the emails.

I'm not sure, but I think to get the same action and "quality" of sounds in the CDP 100, you have to get the PX 310, not the earlier PX 300.

For US $1500 you can many excellent boards, especially if you can browse the used/eBay market.

Are you just looking for piano sounds?

Well, you can't beat the P120 for piano and rhodes in a compact package with great action.

The PX310 would probably be the least expensive solution you'd be "happy" with if you can't find a CDP-100.

Some would say you'd benefit from having your 2nd piano be different so you don't get too locked into a particular action/feel, allowing you to easily adapt to any piano you happen to sit down at.

Well that has less keys and they're semi-weighted. I think the SP-88 would be what you would look at.

I've not heard great things about them, but if you can play one, try it out and see if its acceptable for the price.

However, I think even the older PX300 might out perform the SP-88, BUT I've never played either so you can just ignore me...

Another option is the Kurzweil ME-1, a MIDI cable, and whatever cheap, good feeling MIDI controller you can find. Or even the MicroPiano.

If it gives me more options, I could use the Yamaha P120 as my away from home rig and then consider another rig for home use - which would not need in built speakers as I have a Roland Cube amplifier - maybe boards without in-built speakers will open up more options.

James

In that price range, the Yamaha S90 is a great deal. Often recommended, but great Yamaha action (a little lighter than the P120 - faster) and tons of high quality, "more options" sounds. Expandable, great controller features - can't go wrong.

Archived