Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funk Playing . . . tips, please.

shniggens

We've decided to throw Shaky Ground into our repetoire . . . and I need some suggestions on getting started playing funk.

The guitarist suggested we play it in D major (I'm not sure if that's the key the original song is in or not), and it seems to stay in D for most of the song. So comping will be easy in that regard, but tough to keep the comping different and fresh throughout the song.

I'm new at playing in the funk style. I've read some books that addressed the staccato type of funk playing, but was wondering if you guys could suggest some techniques, scales, rhythms, sounds etc for funk playing.

Gracias.

:wave:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestion is that rhythm is more important than notes. Funk works by leaving space between several parts, often simple in themselves, but becoming complex when combined together.

I would play along with the recording, but to start, forget about notes. Play your keyboard like you are hitting a conga drum or something. The point is to think of your playing as drumming instead of keyboard. Slap it in a staccato manner. Stay mostly off the beat.

When you are comfortable with that, start playing specific chords and little licks.

Moe

---

Definitely use a percussive keyboard sound i.e. clav and play off the hi-hat & snare rhythm moreso than the kick drum. Hopefully, you already got a funky drummer. Use appoggiaturas (arpeggiate 2 note chord fragments). It is all about playing what appears to be simple licks percussively.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

With total seriousness I suggest that you quit reading books and start listening to records .

Sly Stone, Tower of Power, Stevie Wonder, Average White Band, James Brown.......

Listen to how Andy Newmark plays drums on Sly's "In Time", or Stevie's clav on "Higher Ground".

:cool:

shniggens, in addition to staccato comping a fully voiced chord as a 1-3-5-7 or whatever, you would play the chord using 2 notes i.e. 1-3 and follow it with a 3-5 or 5-7. Or play the 1-5 and drop in the 3. Link the chord fragments in 8th & 16th note intervals. Play the keyboard thinking like a percussionist.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The main thing to be aware of is TEXTURE

If the guitarist(like me) is wanking on chords, you have to decide whether or not a pad is appropriate or a single note 3 to4 note ostinato

If the guitaris is playing a single note line, you should play chords

AWB's Pick up the pieces or cut the cake is perfect for a study in texture listen to that cut and see how the two guitarists play off of each other

If the guitarist is playing a busy rhythm, you should consider a non-busy rhythm or vice versa

If the guitaris is playing low-register chords or single note lines, you should play midle or high register voicings/lines

listen to how the bass guitar interacts w/the kick drum and how the guitar interacts w/the hi-hat/snare pattern

find those little pockets and then drop out completely, then come back in and fiull that pocket up and then drop out again

Make sure your parts are CONSISTENT and INSISTENT

Real Funk is when each instrumentalist is just a bunch of dudes laying out, filing up a pocket, then laying out again at their appointed/respective times. This is playing "in the pocket"

I typically play Shakey Ground in E, with a wah-pedal clavinet. I use the Nord Electro's wah effect controlled by the expression pedal.

Most bands have the guitar covering the signature part that syncs up with the bass line, but I play it on clavinet with my band, with the left hand. In my right hand I lay out during the verses, and percussively comp the "Hendrix chord" during the chorus and solos (voiced G#-D-G).

Good advice above, especially the "listening" advice.

Some good funk practice -- pick some alternating notes for your left hand, and a couple of chords for your right hand. Then, play those like a drummer would. This isn't necessarily what you want to actually play on the gig, but it's a good way to get the feel going.

Also, playing slightly behind the beat adds that "greasy" feel.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

One other thing - do NOT be afraid to just play a part. You don't have to be interesting, the groove as a whole should be interesting. Cut The Cake is a prime example of a group of guys playing very consistent but simple parts that on their own are good, but collectively are slammin. A funk tune ain't a rhythmic free for all - most of the time it's a fairly strict collection of parts that play off of each other in a very syncopated counterpoint.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Thing about playing the congas except on keys,rythym is huge. Pick out a two chord vamp like Ebm to Ab13

.Mix in a bass line run and get a groove going. Thats a good way to begin practicing.

Good advice above, rhythm, space, octives work well, listening to the masters, add NRBQ to that list. S P A C E is important.

:D

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Delbert McClinton did a nice version of Shaky Ground that added horn parts and Hammond fills.

I play this in E with clav in the left hand and B3 in the right hand.

On the clav, I play a counterpoint thing with the guitar line. Listen to Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder. I like to use octaves, 6ths and 7ths.

On the B3, I play E7#9 stabs in counterpoint to the horn lines and moving chord lines. Listen to Squib Cakes (Chester Thompson) by Tower of Power.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

My suggestion is that rhythm is more important than notes. Funk works by leaving space between several parts, often simple in themselves, but becoming complex when combined together.

I would play along with the recording, but to start, forget about notes. Play your keyboard like you are hitting a conga drum or something. The point is to think of your playing as drumming instead of keyboard. Slap it in a staccato manner. Stay mostly off the beat.

When you are comfortable with that, start playing specific chords and little licks.

mate_stubb,

You must have been in my brain. That is almost exactly what I was going to post. So, that makes you right of course! :)

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived