Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Re-Amping

I have a Mac with a MOTU 2408 interface and Digital Performer connected to a 24-8 Mackie Mixer. I want to take some existing audio guitar tracks and "re-amp" them using both guitar amps and/or multi-effects units (POD, Roland GP-8, Roland GT-3). I think I need a simple passive direct box to do that, but the local music store salespeople don't seem to be sure of the answer. Can you tell me specifically what inexpensive ($50 or less) Direct Box will work? I saw one by ART (can't remember the model number) but the salesman wanted to sell me an expensive XLR cable with transformer in addition to the box --- he seemed to think it wouldn't do what I wanted without the cable.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
um, you want to run an output from the soundcard to a guitar amp? is that right? the amp isnt going to like the signal from your soundcard, but you already figured that out. easy answer? run the soundcard into a guitar pedal. this will match the output of the pedal to the correct impedance. the pedal does not need to be on, bypassed is fine. trust me, this works. just set the level of the signal going to the guitar pedal so that the pedal doesnt distort. the signal coming out of the pedal will be the correct signal for the amp. best of all, you spend NOTHING

Coaster is right. What level is it that guitar amps take, -20? I have a focusrite tone factory (flame away!) for reamping and studio distortion duties. One of the cool things is that it has an amp level out, a balanced out, and an unbalanced out, so I can run a signal through it and split it a few diferrent ways. The high and low pass, compression, guitar distortion and tone controls, and key-able gate, are all plusses too when you want to get wacky. You should be able to pick it up for 200-350.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

I'm going from the output of my MOTU 2408 interface to a guitar amp or multi-effects processor, then want to sent the "effected" signal back into the computer via Digital Performer. So you're saying the level coming out of the MOTU 2408 is a low impedance line level and that can be sent right into a multi-effects unit (like the POD). The effects unit will handle that level signal? Then, the output can go back into the MOTU 2408 and be recorded to the hard drive. I didn't think the low impedance line level would work going into a guitar effects unit.

Hi GT3, The level coming out is low impedance line level. I want to run that into one of the effects units I have (POD, Roland GT-3, Roland GP-8) or into a guitar amp (VOX AC-30, Marshall JCM 2000). I thought the effects units and guitar amps want to see a high impedance instrument level.

its the wrong impedance of course, but it doesnt matter. an effects processor or guitar pedal has a very wide range of input possibilities and can handle it. a guitar amp input is less likely to handle it. by running the signal through the pedal/processor, the pedal/processor runs the signal through an output transformer which then sets the signal correctly for the next peice of gear. your guitar pedals are meant to be abused and are designed to have a wide acceptance of signals. this is because they have to be able to reciev a signal from a guitar or another pedal, which are different signals. i dont know if the pod will accept the signal from your card, but i would be very suprised if there was even the slightest problem. if there is, run the signal through a bypassed BOSS pedal first. a BOSS type pedal will "fix" your signal.

Archived