Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Starting keyboarding, need help finding one.

celesty

hello, im starting out keyoarding and i need a keyboard. my two options are the: Roland Juno-D and the yamaha dxg305. i dont know much about keys but i like these two. can you guys give me your preference on which of the two you think is best? thanks in advance

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What kind of music are you playing? What are you going to use it for, gigging or home use? What kind of sounds are important to you? Are you open to options other than those two keyboards?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

im going to play melodic power metal like dragonforce or children of bodom you know, and those 2 are sorta the only ones i can get, i cant explain but yeah. im interewsted in strings and guitar sounds.

Since I know as much about power metal as screamo, I'm gonna recommend the Juno D here too.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'd recommend a s/h Roland XP-30. It's about the same price as s/h Juno-D and comes expanded with the all-important Session and Orchestral cards. You're going to eventually want those sounds if you're into symphonic power metal. Besides, Bodom's Janne Wirman is using three JV-2080 racks (XP-30 is JV-1080 -based with some JV-2080 features), so it's basically the same synth engine). If it's really between those two, then Juno-D. It's actually a pretty good board if you're only interested in playing.

You definately should go check out more options if you can. The biggest problem with the Roland models mentioned is going to be the piano sound. IMO they are horrible on the Juno D, XP and JV models. After trying more stuff out, my best advice is to save up some money and get a MO6. It would fit the bill in every way and you could get maximum use out of it.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I play a very simalar kind of music, I'm using a Yamaha S08, and it is working great so far, I haven't ran into anything I need yet on it. I don't know much about Rolands, all I know from them is that I'm very impressed with their Fantoms. But all I recommend is a full sized weighted keyboard.
~Joey~

I have a Juno-D and use it to gig 2-5 times a month (blues and classic rock). It is the only board I use for gigs (have an old Yamaha YPR-30 that sits in the basement even though it has a better piano sound than the Juno-D).

I agree with what some others have already said about this board:

1) It is a keyboard for people who know how to play and don't need all the cheating fancy stuff many higher priced keyboards have.

2) The piano sounds are horrible, especially at loud volumes. Just very thin. I do think that some of this can be mitigated if playing in stereo, but I don't do that currently.

3) Other than the piano sounds though, this keyboard is very nice and well worth the price in my opinion; organ and guitar sounds are very very good, and the piano sounds other than acoustic piano sounds are great too. I especially like the Sweet Stage sound (piano 12) which you can hear if you go here - http://www.putfile.com/stepay and listen to You're Blue (an original song of mine made so the rest of the band can hear it so we can eventually play it -- that's me playing and singing, but I'm no singer -- our drmmer will sing).

You can always upgrade later if you're still into it. The Juno-D is a very nice first keyboard, and for certain people, I think it's good even beyond that.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived