Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vocal distortion (intentional)

I've heard some distorted vocal effects on U2 (Achtung Baby) and some Trent Reznor albums and want to try that effect. It doesn't seem to work well when I run my vocal through a fuzz box; what's the secret? What is the best way to get that effect?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are many ways to get this sound - using guitar amp simulator plugs, multing, compression & EQ, using a real amp, a small fucked up speaker, overloading various bits of gear. I don't know if there is one way everybody uses, try messing about until you like what you hear :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

my favorite way is kind of silly but sounds really good. i have an old radioshack mic pre (junk) that has sliders and such. its a real peice of crap. but if you insert a +4 signal into the mic input and turn the gain up ALL the way it sounds simply RAD. total overload, but you can understand the vox clearly. kind of like renzor, manson, that type of sound.

Stuff we've used to distort vocals: Walkie talkies. Put one on a stand in front of the mic (turned on, obviously) and speak into the other from across the room. Sounds pretty crisp, but with a good bit of snotty distortion. Megaphone. Same deal as walkie talkies, but you only have one piece. Crustier sounding, but nice for an effect. Intercom system. Put a mic on the intercom speaker and call it. Do your vox into the phone. Sounds kinda "small," but it's useable. Also neat for guitars. A speakerphone. Same deal as above. Sounds a little crisper than the intercom. Turn up the volume, and you really get some cool effects... the feedback can be gnarly. A really shitty, broken Radio Shack microphone. Very cool. Crunchy and violent. Sounded like it was gonna die at any minute. Overdriven "blue tube" vocal preamp. Not bad, but a little mushy. A wah pedal. Mess with the pedal a little to find the "sweet" spot. It's in there, baby. Great for "small" vocals. Various distortion pedals & guitar amps. Not as nice. Kind of hard to control and generally mushy. Sometimes you get a decent sound, but generally not. Try these for now. Things like like walkie talkies or the megaphone are best we've found. Remember -- the cheaper they are, the more they'll distort, so don't buy the good ones or you'll just get a nice, clean signal with very little distortion. Buy the shitty ones, and you're guaranteed a lot of distortion. Try the stuff in toy stores... so many of the walkie talkies made for kids sound great for distorted vox.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Green bullet will do it fo sho. Or just running a overdrive pedal inserted into the channel. Listen to Chickasaw Mudpuppies and you'll hear it used ALOT. Vintage Fabulous Thunderbirds, the kind you never heard on the radio, cept in Tejas, used it occasionally. Cool sound. Galactica's front man uses vocal distortion with fab effect.....intense and groovin.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived