Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock Star Supernova

b_3guy

Well, a wicked bunch of singers performed for Tommy Lee's new band. But the real star of the show was the House Band. Glad to see them back for another group of shows. And as per last year, they were awesome!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strangest thing when I was watching was Zayra Alavrez... I know her and it's SO not her type of music. She did ok, but there were so many good people on the show.

What did you guys think of the Roxanne cover? Yea, I was like um... ok yea... that sucked.

I think the singers on this show as a group, always blow the doors off of the American Idol singers.

These are real world, front a band kind of singers, where the AI bunch strike me more as the "make me sound great in the studio" type. And then use autotune live ala Shania Twain.

Originally posted by steadyb:

I think the singers on this show as a group, always blow the doors off of the American Idol singers.

Agreed, these guys & gals are seasoned professionals & are in a totally different league than the AI's. One of the things I'm having a hard time getting past is the rock bullsh*t. Things like "I'm just trying to keep it real, man." Which Dave Navarro responds, profoundly, "Right on, man." I love the House Band & the occasional great performance isn't hard to take.

Steve

+1, I also think these singers are much better than American Idol Singers as well. Watched the show with a buddy and his wife and she is a huge AI fan and she agreed as well.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by RABid:

I watched. I cringed. I wondered what kind of idiot chooses a Duran Duran song to sing for Tommy Lee. :eek:

I'm not sure I can watch again after last night.

And a song that you didn't recognize unless you were a Duran Duran fan. I watch the show for the House Band.

Steve

Originally posted by steadyb:

And then use autotune live ala Shania Twain.

Ahaaa! :idea: Is that why Shania always sings so well live? I'm not a huge fan but I've always marvelled at how she never seemed to sing off-key while jumping around onstage.

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I watched. I cringed. I wondered what kind of idiot chooses a Duran Duran song to sing for Tommy Lee. :eek:

And a song that you didn't recognize unless you were a Duran Duran fan. I watch the show for the House Band.
Doesn't really matter about the Duran Duran tune. The guy that sang it is gone anyway.

Smart move for the guy that butchered Roxanne to come back with the Doors.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I like they voted off the guy because he didn't bring the rock. They warned him then stuck to it when it came time to let someone out.

And Tommy Lee has made a bunch of softer ballads before. It's not like he hasn't tried to have the commercial hit before.

I really like watching Gilby though. You can read him like a book when it comes to what he thinks about someone.

Autotune with Shania Twain? Just curious, who has proof that she is using it? Don't doubt it but would like to know how anyone really knows for sure she does use it or is it just word of mouth--pardon the pun.

I was channel surfing and ran across the program two nights ago. I ended up watching the last 15-20 minutes. Most of those singers were good-some VERY good. I liked most of the songs they covered as well...some gal covered that old Jefferson Airplane tune "somebody to love". It was great!....You know though?

Maybe it was really the Autotune ;)

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

The problem is that the Rock Star administrators create the pool of songs for which the singers to pull out of.

So, unless they have more song choices available than the number of singers on hand, that kid coulda got stuck with having to do a whack-ass song by default.

Now if the kid picked it out of his own volition and there were more songs available - then it was a good weed out tactic by the admin.

Yeah, You don't mess with The Police unles you nail the vocals.

I believe that this show is like any of the Battle of The Bands I have been in:

The winner is already picked, and the rest is all drama

I believe that the Aussie dude has it in the bag all the way

The only girl who can cut this gig with the dirty rockers is the freaky South african gal who sung lithium

Last year for the INXS version, they started out with a really small song selection because they had trouble getting permission from the various bands. As the show got more popular and people saw how cool it was, more and more songs became available. I suspect this year they won't have that problem nearly as much.

That house band does rock.

Unlike INXS, Supernova does show right away what they like and don't. Unfortunately, I don't think they gave the guy who did Planet Earth a chance. As soon as they heard it was a DD song, they had no interest even if he rocked it up. He would have had to make it completely different and really gotten their attention with the rearrangement for it to work for him. I also think it didn't help that he said DD was his favorite band, though. (b_3guy - anyone who watched MTV in the early days would recognize that tune. Planet Earth was in heavy rotation way back then. Granted, their later stuff was more popular, but it was big in the day.) I would have liked to see the house bands reaction to that song choice though. Last year there were times when they had interviews with Paul and he was ragging on the singer for what they were trying to do. He seems very opinionated!

My impression is that Supernova is so focused on "song choice" that they aren't listening beyond that. Tommy Lee keeps saying "song choice." I guess part of that is that Supernova doesn't have a back catalog like INXS to use for the elimination round (though I wonder why they don't use songs from their old bands or just tell the contestants which to choose from).

I think it's interesting that the women as a whole seem to be better than the men this year. Several of the guys didn't bring it so far, so it will be interesting if they can pick it up as the show progresses.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...

Last night was the best show of the season so far.

Every performance was really good and several were great.

After Won't Get Fooled Again kicked it off, everyone who followed really had to (and did) step up.

You know Dilana? Is her normal style suited for Supernova? She seems like she'll go far in this competition.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Originally posted by keys2thefuture:

Today is Dilana's birthday. She's a good friend and a great singer. Happy B-day!!!

I think she should win. Every performance of hers is memorable, where as half of the other ones are so forgetable, I couldn't even tell you their names. She think she could sing the dictionary & turn it into a show. I can't wait to see the next one.

Steve

I would be surprized if the winner is anyone other than Lucas or Magni.

Anyone see monday night? I heard they had to write vocal lines to supernova tracks... Any of 'em any good?

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

I think Dilana has a shot, but I agree that Lucas and Magni could make it. Tommy Lee has the hots too bad for Storm for her to make it.

None of them performed any of the songs they'd written.

I was surprised that both Ryan and Jill were kicked off on the same show. Not that they were kicked off, just that it was both of them. Maybe the show is running long?

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

The double kickoff is common in reality shows, I hear, and last year's Rock Star INXS had one as well.

The "Monday" show is only available online, at rockstar.msn.com. You can watch it anytime. They only showed parts of some of their tunes, not all of any of them.

Lucas is creepy. He has some stage charisma, but I like Magni as a whole much better. Storm is really good too.

And why are they keeping Zayra around? I'm wondering if there is a reason they didn't boot her earlier. She is just not right for that band. I found a clip of her on YouTube and she's totally different like uselesstom says, maybe even good. Did Tommy just want to take her to Vegas??

Originally posted by Joe Muscara:

You know Dilana? Is her normal style suited for Supernova? She seems like she'll go far in this competition.

I see you're from Houston. I gig a lot as a single in the 1960 area and Dilana would come out to my gigs on her off nights and sit in. She'd always say, "I'm just gonna do 1 or 2 tonight" and we'd wind up singing all night together. She's a very cool person and an incredible talent. Her roots are in hard rock and punk but she did Tina Turner, Janis Joplin, Stevie Nicks, even Patsy Cline. I'm not just saying this because I know her but everything she did, she did better than the record. The most amazing thing is her energy level. Whereas my gigs are paced with moments of high energy and moments of laid back music, her gigs were 4 hours of power singing while she's dancing and jumping around and drinking the whole time. If I had to keep up with her every night I'd be hospitalized. I've never seen anything but pure sweetness in her personality but I've been told she has a temper when provoked. I wouldn't want to see that. Whether she wins or not, I doubt if we'll see her performing locally again, and I'm happy for her.

Thanks k2tf. I used to live in that part of town a dozen or so years ago, but never got to those clubs and now just don't get up there much at all. Dilana can definitely go places! Hopefully the exposure from this will serve her well, however, except for Marty (and of course JD), I haven't really seen anything from last year's contestants except when I went looking for them. Hopefully it's just a matter of time for any of them, from either season.

And Dilana got the bonus of getting to perform with the band on stage, for having some "extra quality" for that song. Though, IMNSHO, the mix of the live version was crappy. Gilby's guitar was weak, and there was tons of tambourine and little else, compared to the studio version where the guitar sounded quite good.

It's getting tough now - when your weakest ones are Patrice (who I understand is quite good, she and her band Sister 7 played here a lot but we've never seen them) and Toby, that's saying something!

Last year, it seemed that some got the boot based on the competition at the mansion, whether it was songwriting, what they did in the studios with the band or whatever. If they all bring it in performance from now on (some of Patrice's performances have been weak for some reason lately, though she was good in elimination) that might be the real determining factor.

Archived