Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CD storage solutions?

Dave Horne

I'm looking for ways to reduce the impact of 300 to 400 CDs in my living room.

I've looked at Amazom and read some of the reviews of various products. The ones that hold 320 \ 160 or so look interesting.

Any first hand users here with anything to report?

Thanks, Dave

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I considered one of those units but went another direction. I now have over 1200 CD's in storage after ripping them to computer and distributing them to various points.

At work these are stored on external HD's and connected to my computer. It is nice to have access to my entire collection.

In the auto I have a lot of my favorite CD's and songs on writable CD's as 192 WMA files or 320 MP3. At 320 I still get 7 CD's compressed to a single writable CD and the difference in qudio quality is not noticable in the car.

For home I have a DvD player that reads mp3 files. You can put a LOT of music on a single writable DvD. A little holder with 20-30 DvD's holds my entire collection. The question is how to arrange them. Most are grouped by type and artist. A few are favorites. I can put a DvD in and listen for days.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Its funny Dave, I just had to go through this exact same thing about 3 months again. In the end it came down to doing one of three things.

1. Leave things the way they are and buy a larger CD storage unit.

2. Switch the CD cases from the normal ones they came with to the slim ones.

3. Buy a CD book with inserts and place the CD's inside of them.

I wish you luck. If these don't work hopefully another solution will present itself.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

A little tip on this. I bought one of the large CD books. The sheets inside were 2 x 2 front and back, holding 8 CD's each. Very handy for long trips in the car. Then I found out that if the book turns upside down there is nothing to keep the bottom CD's on each page in their slots. They slide out but they don't slide back in. You open the book and lots of CD's fall out. I changed it for a smaller 1 x 1 book and have been much happier.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

1. Leave things the way they are and buy a larger CD storage unit.

2. Switch the CD cases from the normal ones they came with to the slim ones.

In addition to which:

4. Buy CD sleeves and toss/put in storage the jewel cases. I'm looking at buying some of these in a little while, but only because they're cheap enough to make the task reasonable for quite a few CDs.

Dave,

This is the one I use now:

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oak_Veneer_Double_Multimedia_Case_without_Doors/

but go to the home page as they have a lot of nice cases that look better than most in the living...er, music room.

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Archived