Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Laptop for live Rhodes samples?

fundikira

Hello

I have a Rhodes Mk II Stage 73 electric piano. It is great, but its inconvenience, continual need for mainentance and occasional unreliability have caused me to consider a rhodes emulation.

I want to get as close to the sound of a real Rhodes as I can. But I also want to start getting into effects so that I can get some new and interesting sounds (I have never used effects on my Rhodes apart from a bit of overdrive on my Peavey Classic 30 guitar amp).

The new setup would be used almost exclusively for live gigs.

I read on the Rhodes Supersite that the Scarbee R. S. P. sample library contains sounds which are the closest you can get by far to a real rhodes. I also read that the MrRay Seventy Three V. S. T. plugin comes quite close as well. I have also heard that the new Nord Stage has great Rhodes sounds.

So at the moment, I am leaning towards buying a laptop and the Scarbee sample library. If I did that then I would probably buy the Scarbee Vintage Keyboard FX plugin as well. I also read about something called Receptor, which sounds pretty cool, but I don't fully understand it or know if it would be useful to me.

Pretty much all I would want to do is play the Scarbee samples live using my controller keyboard (Kurzweil PC2x) and experiment with different effects on the computer. At the moment I do a little bit of MIDI sequencing on my home computer using the PC2x just for the purposes of seeing how things sound before I take them in to real musicians; I don't record audio or anything because my computer is pretty old and not very fast. I would like to continue doing that, but apart from that I'm not really that keen to get into full-on professional recording and sequencing etc.

Can anybody tell me how I go about acheiving this; what I should buy; how I should set it all up, etc? Or could you point me in the direction or a resource which would explain all this to someone who hasn't got much of a clue? Also, if you think I am heading in the wrong direction re. soft-synths, and think that I should get a Nord or Nord Rack and some effects pedals etc. please let me know.

Thankyou in advance for any feedback.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're really into this Rhodes sound you should also check any new or used Nord Electro. It's rhodes and wurlie sounds are fantastic and the price of a used one will be -i believe- better than the price of a laptop

good chance

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Hello,

I used to have nord Electro, which was a substitute to my genuine rhodes and which is a great gigging keyboard, but I sold it because wanted a weighted keybed and got bored to the rhodes sound in electro. I don't mean it's bad, but it's not good as scarbee. :)

Nowadays I'm using Mac Powerbook G4, logic 7 and Scarbee rhodes & wurli at gigs. The rhodes is amazing and the wurli is fantastic. The idea is not only the sound. Scarbee is really playable instrument, and I can play it using my familiar weighted keyboard (doepfer pk88). I can say that it feels even better to play for me than a real one.

Well, what isn't so nice is that I have to carry a laptop to my gigs. I've been looking forward to muse receptor, but find it much too expensive at the moment (I already had powerbook, and have to have that anyway). The powerbook has never let me down, but I won't be suprised if that happened sometimes. The Scarbee samples are big to handle for computer, so it's good to have decent audiocard... I've heard that receptor would be reliable system, so it would be better that way.

I wouldn't trust too much for computers, so I have a kurz me-1 connected to my gig setup also, if something happens + I get the good grand piano also from it...

my two cents...

-vm

The soft synth versions of the vintage stuff i.e. rhodes, hammmonds, etc. are very good. However, also check out hardware pieces:

Nord Electro (board)

Nord Electro rack (since you have the PC2X)

The reviews of the Roland SRX card have been positive around here so you could also consider a used Roland XV module with that card.

If you plan to get into sequencing at some point, the computer with plugins would be the better choice. Good luck.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

For the price of a decent laptop that will run the better sample sets, plus the sample set, plus an audio card, plus a controller, you can buy a Roland RD700SX + the the new SRX card for Rhodes. Remember that for large sample sets you probably need 2 Gig of memory and a fast HD. Unless you need a laptop for other things I would go with hardware.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Rhodes is the only sound I gig with, so it's very importanat to me. I have the Scarbee Rhodes and considered buying a Receptor because I don't like to use laptops live (fragile, interfaces, latency, crashes, pricey, etc.) Then I got this because it's so portable (it fits in my gig bag). I didn't want to deal with a laptop on gigs or carry something as big as a Receptor. And the SRX-12 sounds very close to the Scarbee. The XV-2020 host cost me $120 used and the SRX-12 was $225 new. The XV-2020 internal sounds are junk, it's merely a host for the 64 MB SRX-12 plug in card.

http://www.musicware.com.br/roland/xv2020.jpg

PLUS

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/synth-dtm/synth/expansion-board/roland/gif/srx-12.gif

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Jazz

I allready got the XV 2020 but i'm not happy with the interal EPs so i keep it for airplane gigs and for orchestra sounds mostly... R U happy with the expansion card? Do you thing it's a good alternative to my Lounge Lizard sounds (wich allready is a sub to my Electro)? Is it comparable to the Electro's EPs? Thnx for any reply

Yannis

I was visiting roland importers a couple of weeks ago, because I was invited for a deal with 'em or something. I tried the ep's of expansion board, but didn't like it much.

but these are, ofcourse a matter of opinions...

well, I still believe, that the scarbee is closest to the real thing. ;)

-vm

I sampled my 1977 Mark I Stage, which should sound as much like your piano as any. (There's more variations between individual Rhodes than between the Mark I and Mark II, which have almost identical insides.)

It's free, try it: jRhodes3 -- I like the stereo version best. Run it using 'sfz', a free soundfont player for Win PC.

The best thing about running a laptop is that you can continuously add new sounds at much lower prices than hardware (in general, although that Roland unit for $120 used looks interesting).

I agree with "burningbusch" that the Rhodes on the SRX-12, Rhodes 2 in particular, is the best Rhodes in hardware. And I say that having woned an Electro 73 II, Kurzweil PC2X and a Motif Rack. I also have MrRay73 and Scarbee. In my opinion, only Scarbee trumps the SRX-12 EP2.

NOTE: You cannot get great results with the SRX-12 EP2 using a Yamaha P series or Motif keyboard as a controller. The MIDI velocity scale is just too limited. I don't know if the Yamaha ES series fixed the velocity problems.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Jazz + said

--------------------------------------------------

I agree with "burningbusch" that the Rhodes on the SRX-12, Rhodes 2 in particular, is the best Rhodes in hardware. And I say that having woned an Electro 73 II, Kurzweil PC2X and a Motif Rack. I also have MrRay73 and Scarbee. In my opinion, only Scarbee trumps the SRX-12 EP2.

NOTE: You cannot get great results with the SRX-12 EP2 using a Yamaha P series or Motif keyboard as a controller. The MIDI velocity scale is just too limited. I don't know if the Yamaha ES series fixed the velocity problems

-------------------------------------------------- :thu:

thnx alot

CORRECTION:

It's the P series, not the Motif series that has the problem with MIDI Velocity send.

Archived