Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

buying 88 keys, need second opinion

au4onx

Hey guys! After some (well a lot) of procastination, some research and some reading in these forums and a lot of time leading on salespeople at various music stores (I know! I'm horrible...) and playing a fair bit of boards I've finally come to a point where I'm about to make up my mind about gear.

Basically I'm very strongly inclined towards the Roland FP-2 and should I not be able to get that for a good price... I'd be running into the arms of a Korg SP250 (or possibly a Yamaha P-140)...

So as the title of this post suggests, I'm seeking a second opinion about these keys (like people would say, "speak now or forever hold your peace", and I don't want to end up in unhappy matrimony.) Also, I'm open to suggestions as well, with my criteria being:

(so I can get "funding" from my parents they want the keyboard to have:)

Speakers

Weighted action

88 keys

What I NEED the keyboard to have (in addition):

Good sounds... (ballsy E.piano, organ and clav is a must.. but just your usual staple sounds)

Instrument jacks

Gigability! (not GIGA-ability but GIG-ability.. e.g. won't break spines and etc... but GIGA ability would be nice)

What I would like the keyboard to have (these are bonuses, I'm not too fussed if I don't get these):

accompaniment things

ROTARY EFFECTS! (and some wah for some funkadelicious)

So yeah I guess that's it. Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My best advice to you is listen to yourself and get what yoy like best that works for you. Your the one playing it. Things like sounds and keyaction are so subjective to personal preference you may end up getting advice which isn't good for you. Salespeople have their own agenda and many of them can't be trusted (my experience). I will throw a diffent board into the mix as well. Take a look at the Yamaha p120. While an older model, its still a great board and has many very good, useable sounds.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

thanks a lot for the advice Silver Dragon Sound ;) , I'd definitely be looking at that board. But yeah, basically I've narrowed it down to the FP-2 and the SP250 after some playing. It's so true in regard to subjectivity, for instance some people really dislike lighter action whilst others may prefer a lighter action.

The Roland FP-2 is a good 88-note weighted, portable keyboard. It has the assortment of sounds you desire (not sure about the clav). Also, there are no speakers. Don't know how that will affect your "funding" :) Good luck.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I owned the FP-2 for a year. While it does have all the sounds your looking for, especially, several usable organs with ok leslie sim, I grew tired of the piano sound quickly. It's nowhere near as good a piano sound as you will find on the Yamaha P120 or P140. You need to think about how important having those extra organs sound are versus the (in my opinion) much nicer piano sounds on the Yamaha.

Ewall

"The Roland FP-2 is a good 88-note weighted, portable keyboard. It has the assortment of sounds you desire (not sure about the clav). Also, there are no speakers. Don't know how that will affect your "funding" Good luck."

Sorry, I didnt read through this whole post at first. But, yes there certainly are speakers in the Roland FP2. Ewall

cool, thanks for the advice ProfD and Ewall! Yeah I'm definitely going to be trying out both piano sounds since I'm heading to our local Mr. Musicman store tommorow!

*rubs hands* and yes I can also vouch that the FP-2 has speakers. I thought it didn't at first as well because they're nicely hidden! I only found out it had speakers when the salesperson directed me to it and I played it.

My bad on the speakers au4onx. When I played the FP-2, it was hooked up to a PA. I didn't see the speakers. Great design. I hope it works out for ya.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

that's alright, same here I didn't notice them as well. Oh yeah I seem to have noticed when I was playing the FP-2 the action felt quite light and not very precise (maybe it was because it was a display model that was caked in dust and played to the death...). Has anyone else experienced this?

Archived