Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie 122XB and 145 / Not sure what to do

DaveMcM

Hi there,

I have a 145 that needs a new driver, crossover and the amp could use new tube sockets and possibly more. I also have a mint condition 122XB (this is the one that was made for the Hammond-Suzuki BX3) which I also have but don't take out to gigs. My BX3 is running through a 147 with a converter box and that sounds great for home. So...

I connected my XK3 into the 122XB and it sounds very good. My though is to take the amp, crossover, HF driver and woofer out of the 122XB and install them into my older 145 cabinet.

The question is, will the motors in the 145 also have to be switched out with the ones from the 122XB or will I just be able to connect the appropriate wires and use the existing motors in the 145?

Or would I be better to buy a new HF driver and make the necessary repairs to the 145? I checked out Speakeasy for pricing on a new 145 power amp, crossover and driver and the prices were way too much for me to spend.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave

ADDED: I just remembered that the 145 won't stop the rotor rotation while the 122XB does. So maybe I have answered that part of my question already...or maybe not, I don't know.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave!

I think that what you suggest is totally possible and I can't think of what harm you would do by trying it. I know I have swapped components around on vintage Leslies dozens of times with no ill effects. The only thing I'm not totally sure about on the 122XB - does it have some kind of internal power source going into the amp (other than juice it would get via the Leslie cable)? I am not sure if the motors on the new guy are driven from a different type of technology in the newer amps, but my guess is they should be almost the same.

One question - why not travel with the 122XB? Just get a LeCover for it...but they are heavier and I can understand if it is a pristine home unit (one reason I don't like to cart my 122).

Worst case scenario is you swap all the innards from the 122XB into the 145 cabinet. I suggest that you start one piece at a time with the amp out of the 122XB and see how it interacts with the motors on the 145. If it seems to be A-OK, then swap the speakers and crossover.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by DaveMcM:

The question is, will the motors in the 145 also have to be switched out with the ones from the 122XB or will I just be able to connect the appropriate wires and use the existing motors in the 145?

ADDED: I just remembered that the 145 won't stop the rotor rotation while the 122XB does. So maybe I have answered that part of my question already...or maybe not, I don't know.

Dave - the 122XB uses a motor control circuit board and has a different upper/lower motor configuration than your 145 vintage motor 'stacks'. Best to either upgrade whatever components you need replaced in the 145, or perhaps transplant all from the 122XB to your 145 for live portability. Note: this will require some additional work.

Wayne

B3Guys

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the help. Yes, the 122XB has its own A/C power cable. Like I said it works great with the XB3. I spoke with someone a few minutes ago that seemed to think the motors would be the same so it sounds like just switching the amp, crossover and horn driver is all that will be needed.

There are two reasons I don't want to take the 122XB out; one is it is in like new condition and the secondly it won't fit in my vehicle.

I am still considering buying a new crossover and HF driver from Speakeasy or another company. Speakeasy has a driver that they call the Hot Rod Kit that they say easily mounts to the existing hardware in the 145. They say it increases the mids and highs. They also have a Crossover for Vintage Rotary Cabinets . The price for both is $270.00 so I have to decide if replacing those two components in the 145 is going to sound as good as yanking the 122XB guts and putting them in the 145 cabinet. Maybe it is worth spending that money since it will be much less work and I will still have the 122XB to use at home.

It's a tough decision.

Thanks again,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by B3Guys:

Dave - the 122XB uses a motor control circuit board and has a different upper/lower motor configuration than your 145 vintage motor 'stacks'. Best to either upgrade whatever components you need replaced in the 145, or perhaps transplant all from the 122XB to your 145 for live portability. Note: this will require some additional work.

Wayne

B3Guys

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the information. After writing my response to Eric above, I think I should probably just buy the necessary parts for the 145 and leave the 122XB alone.

Any suggestions on where to purchase a HF driver and crossover for a 145? I mentioned Speakeasy and am not opposed to that unless there is a better solution.

The amp works, the only problem is the tube sockets are either dirty or have loose contacts; if you touch a tube while it is one, it makes an awful noise. The volume pot is also dirty.

I really appreciate the help.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by DaveMcM:

The amp works, the only problem is the tube sockets are either dirty or have loose contacts; if you touch a tube while it is one, it makes an awful noise. The volume pot is also dirty.

I really appreciate the help.

Dave

I would first try a good contact cleaner (DeOxit D5) on the tube sockets as well as the volume pot ... it may be as simple as that.

Wayne

B3Guys

• 7 months later...

I know this thread is old but I have a question since I found this while looking on google...

Has anyone ever had the Motor controller board go out in any of the Hammond-Suzuki models?

I'm more then 90% thats what happen with my 3 year old Leslie 771 as Both upper and lower motors no longer turn and im not getting a voltage reading on the motors. Finding Info on the Motor Controller board has really been very hard and later on I will pull the back cover off and check it up close.

But what could cause something like that for it just to go out?

I can't answer your specific question, but that's one area among others where modern leslies take a step backward from vintage IMO.

The old system of stacked slow motor / fast motor was expensive and heavy, but worked for years and years. You could also fix a problem during a break onstage with chewing gum and baling wire (OK, more like a screwdriver and a wrench.

Moe

---

I am curious as to what happened to the crossover that you think you need a new one? As to the amp, use the DeOxit on the sockets (no power on, right?), the volume pot and the jack for the speaker connections. On a 147 amp I had, the 250k ohm audio taper pot went out that caused similar issues, and I got a replacement at Radio Shack that worked great. You can also tighten many tube sockets from underneath just gently bending the round metal pieces towards the center of the hole (old TV tech trick). I would also check for cold solder joints or even twisted-on wires. You never know what you might find under the 'deck'! If you have any experience soldering at all, you can even completely rebuild the amp. I have done this with both of my Leslie amps (47, 147 models), replacing all resistors and capacitors, including replacing the can caps with axial electrolytics under the deck.
Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Archived