Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official 2006-2007 NBA thread

Edgar Summers

If it's not okay for me to post the new "Official" NBA thread, I apologize: otherwise I start this by predicting Phoenix vs Detroit or Cleveland in next year's Finals.

Phoenix takes it all! :thu:

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
San Antonio Spurs :thu:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

All good picks, except one, Ken. Not even funny, Ken. ;)

The east will be murky again. The only teams on the way up in the east--Orlando, Cleveland, Toronto (yes, Toronto)come to mind--aren't ready for that steep a climb, and the best teams--Detroit, Miami, NJN--are coming down a peg, perhaps.

I find Shaq's talk of a repeat patently absurd. First of all, they were phenomonally lucky, then good, to win this year. Second, Riley kept this loose confederacy of former stars on the same page for about three weeks. It will blow up. Wade is a point in their favor, of course.

I look to Detroit to regroup, add a key bench player or two, and regain control of the east next year.

The West? OH MY!!! All I'll give is this: it'll be Dallas, SA, or Phoenix, and I just can't rule out the Clippers if Cassell has one more healthy year in him. Do not mistake for moment the kind of player that Shaun Livingstone is going to be; I think he needs one more year with a fully productive Sam, though.

Dallas has the best balance. As they proved this year, they can handle SA's size and they can handle Phoenix's speed. Of how many teams can that be said? (SA would have shredded the Heat in the finals, IMO, if they had gotten by Dalla in that classic series)

Good players want to go to Dallas 'cause Cuban treats them like Roman senators.

The wildcard in the west is Amare Stoudemire. I'm pulling for him.

And finally, how the HELL does Greg Popovitch do it? As long as I've been following that team, he made one blatantly bad personnel move, and that was sigining Rasho Nesterovic to a long term lucrative deal when they were desperate to replace Robinson. Well, did you see that The Spurs just unloaded Rasho's remaining three years and 23 mil on Toronto for two players--Matt Bonner and??--whose contracts expire after this season?

How does the best team in the league continually seem to have the most cap room too? Pure wizardy from Pop. Still, I don't see them mamking big moves this offseason, and I think they've fallen a peg, so I won't pick them to win it all this year. However--and mark this well--they will crest one more time before Timmy is over the hill, probably in '08. And the league will wonder, how the hell do they stay so good?

So my predcition as of today, before a single free agent signing or the draft:

A healthy Stoudemire helps Phoenix beats Detroit in a series that is a mind boggling contrast of styles.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Well....it's official!

Larry Brown Fired

Not that it's a suprise or anything. What does this mean for the Knicks short term/Long term. As a Bulls fan, I'm most interested in short term since the Bulls have the right to trade picks with the Knicks next year. I think Thomas will let the guards play "their game" and it may win them some more games this next season, and the Bulls will get a worse pick next year.

In the long run, I don't think it will get NY very far, but it may help them in the immediate future.

Originally posted by Magpel:

All good picks, except one, Ken. Not even funny, Ken. ;)

The east will be murky again. The only teams on the way up in the east--Orlando, Cleveland, Toronto (yes, Toronto)come to mind--

Don't forget Chicago. The Bulls played as well (or better) than anyone against Miami in the playoffs, and they're a very young team with 2 draft picks and a hechuva lot of cap room this offseason. They're definitely a good (not great) team that's going to rise rapidly if they play their cards right this summer.

So my predcition as of today, before a single free agent signing or the draft:

A healthy Stoudemire helps Phoenix beats Detroit in a series that is a mind boggling contrast of styles.

My prediction:

Stoudemire will never be as completely healthy as he once was, following surgery, and will have more of a Chris Webber post surgery season, with the knee coming and going all year.

2 days 'till the draft. Who do you like? Who's going to be a bust? Who do you like for your team?

Who the heck'll end up being the top pick? Aldridge? Thomas? Roy? Morrison? Bargani?

A lot of question leading into Wednesday.....could be some trade activity too.

I don't love any of them, yet, and I think the Knicks got off soft with the Curry deal, 'cause far as as I can tell there ain't a LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh in the bunch.

All of those guys were more refined players than Aldridge or Tyrus Thomas when they hit the draft. In my experience as a fan, these uber-athletic "project" players seldom if if ever become great NBA players.

Can anyone say "Olowakandi"?

And yet, among the developed, skilled players, I dont think Morrison and Reddick are top line NBA talents. I think Brandon Roy is, but few GMs would be courageous enough to spend a top 3 pick on Roy or Randy Foye. So It'll probably be Aldridge, Thomas, Morrison, and The Italian.

Then the good players will get picked.

The 4 UCONN guys will all go high, probably the best draft for a single NCAA team since Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, William Avery and Trajan Langdon all went in the first round.

I wouldn't gamble on Rudy Gay just yet. As a Big East fan, I saw a lot of him last year. Talented yes, but a top 5 pick should have a dollop of killer instinct, don't you think? Rudy Gay is not that kind of guy.

Marcus "Laptop" Williams, OTOH, is going to be a surprisingly good pro, much as I am not enamored of his character. His stock is going up, I bet.

And finally, let us all remember the Chris Paul principle. A) take the best damn player, not the best body. and B) It is really cool to have a good point guard.

Or so says I

And finally, let us all remember the Chris Paul principle. A) take the best damn player, not the best body. and B) It is really cool to have a good point guard.

Or so says I

Well put, John. As a Suns fan, I must agree. :)

GO SUNS!!! :thu:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/Suns.jpg

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

You don't think the Knicks are gonna take all?

Yeah, the Knicks will take it "all." All the abuse from the press and the fans, maybe.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I think the Knicks got off soft with the Curry deal, 'cause far as as I can tell there ain't a LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh in the bunch.

Hmmmmm...I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the Knicks got off soft". While there's no LeBron, Carmelo, Wade or Bosh.....Eddy Curry isn't exactly a superstar, there's a good chance that the Bulls end up with equal to greater value in this draft alone. Add in there that the Bulls own the right to trade draft picks with NY NEXT summer also....and that's a draft that's looking more powerful....

Greg Oden ©

Spencer Hawes ©

Ante Tomic ©

Joakim Noah (C/PF)

Tiago Splitter (PF/C)

Yi Jianlian (PF/C)

Alexis Ajinca (PF/C)

Josh McRoberts (PF)

Brandan Wright (PF)

Tyler Hansborough (PF)

Al Horford (PF)

Kevin Durant (SF/PF)

Thaddeus Young (SF)

Julian Wright (SF)

Corey Brewer (SF)

Brandon Rush (SF)

NY will need to make some rapid improvements to save face..

Originally posted by synthdogg:

I think the Knicks got off soft with the Curry deal, 'cause far as as I can tell there ain't a LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh in the bunch.

Hmmmmm...I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the Knicks got off soft". While there's no LeBron, Carmelo, Wade or Bosh.....Eddy Curry isn't exactly a superstar, there's a good chance that the Bulls end up with equal to greater value in this draft alone. Add in there that the Bulls own the right to trade draft picks with NY NEXT summer also....and that's a draft that's looking more powerful....

NY will need to make some rapid improvements to save face..

You're right, but a couple of things: Eddie Curry is still really young.

Also, I thnk you're a little biased as a Bull's fan. I thnk it is a disappointment that Paxson's master swindle of Isiaih (step right up) netted the number 2 pick in a draft without a clear number 1. I bet he's listening to offers to trade down.

All we know is that it won't work out for the Knicks. If Eddie Curry ever becomes a relaible NBA big man, it will be elsewhere.

Hey on an up note, did I hear correctly that Jay Williams is getting a tryout with the Nets? Wouldn't it be awesome if he was all back? Wouldn't it be great if he carried Kidd's jock for a few years and then took over the helm?

Rosy thinking to be sure.

I thnk it is a disappointment that Paxson's master swindle of Isiaih (step right up) netted the number 2 pick in a draft without a clear number 1. I bet he's listening to offers to trade down.

[/QB]

Yeah...I guess it depends on your point of view. To be very honest (and Paxson has come right out and said it)...the Bulls were painted into a corner with Curry and felt that they had to trade him. Paxson (and the rest of Chicago) thought the Knicks would be much better than they turned out to be, so the fact that they ended up with the #2 pick has everyone smiling (except Isiah) no matter how mediocre the draft looks.

I also wouldn't be suprised to see the Bulls trade the pick if a vet is available.....although the rumours going around are that the Bulls are looking to trade UP from the 16th pick.

Originally posted by synthdogg:

...although the rumours going around are that the Bulls are looking to trade UP from the 16th pick.

How many young players can you stockpile? They are going to be an interesting team, at least, for years to come, but if the Miami series this year showed anything, it is that they lack a legitimate "closer." Ben Gordon appears in the role, but I don't think he's the guy, long term, especially in a town used to the NBA's top shelf closer of all time.

I really like the Bulls though. Team to watch.

How do you guys keep track of all of these college players? I can't even remember the names of the TEAMS, much less the players who change every year. I start paying attention to them about the time that they get drafted. It's easier that way.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived