Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

speakers for my Apple G4?

I need speakers for listening to internal audio (CDs, MP3s) from my Apple G4. 3 questions: Can I route this audio through my MOTU PCI 324 card and 2408mkII, and use my studio monitors? Can I recycle a pair of JBL Project 1s as computer audio monitors? I'd need to take the 1/8" stereo jack output and buy an adequate but inexpensive amp. What do you recommend for speakers? I'm think about Harmon Kardon Soundstick w/subwoofer, or JBL Creature speakers. The Soundsticks are a little expensive.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought the Harmon-Kardon sound sticks form my IMac, and they sound great. I don't know if I'd do any mastering on them, but for playback they do the job. My children use them the most, playing back audio files recorded from CD's into Itunes, and rocking the house. I can hear the set up from the other side of the house. (they are as bad as I am, they like the music LOUD). They are not as loud as the dedicated stereo system, but having all the audio files to play randomly is very nice. I say buy 'em.....
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Do you have a mixing board? I just route audio from my G4's main out into my mixing board, from which it goes to my studio monitors. If not, I imagine you could purchase a cable at Radio Shack that would get audio from your G4 into your 2408 (although I'm not familiar with the 2408, nor your audio path)... It seems to me that you shouldn't have to buy new speakers, unless you want to.

[quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b]Do you have a mixing board? I just route audio from my G4's main out into my mixing board, from which it goes to my studio monitors. If not, I imagine you could purchase a cable at Radio Shack that would get audio from your G4 into your 2408 (although I'm not familiar with the 2408, nor your audio path)... [/b][/quote]I run everything into my 2408 & 24i and use the virtual mixer in Digital Performer. I'm wondering if it's possible to internally route Apple audio through my MOTU interfaces and out through my studio monitors. This is probably my least favorite option because it will require powering up some gear unnecessarily, at times, when I just want to use my computer.

[quote]Originally posted by mzeger: [b]I run everything into my 2408 & 24i and use the virtual mixer in Digital Performer. I'm wondering if it's possible to internally route Apple audio through my MOTU interfaces and out through my studio monitors. This is probably my least favorite option because it will require powering up some gear unnecessarily, at times, when I just want to use my computer.[/b][/quote]The PCI-324 installer can install an optional Sound Manager driver that routes all internal Mac sounds through the MOTU interfaces. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Otherwise I would rather invest in a small external mixer than some crappy speakers.

I stopped by the Apple Store this weekend and saw those JBL speakers for the first time. Don't like em. Not enough low end.Plenty of mid-range. Nice treble. The HK are way nice. Asolutely amazing. I have the older kind, but those are still nice. Everybody at the store said HK was the way to go also...

Archived