Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which keyboard for bass player....?

Jabinski

Hi, I'm usually in the bass forum but those guys won't be as useful as you for my question.

I'm thinking I need a keyboard for the purposes of practice and writing music. I have no keyboard skills at the moment so i would be learning from scratch (though i know how to build scales and chords from theory).

Hopefully there's a keyboard on the market that isn't too expensive that will allow me to record say, 30 seconds of a chord progression so that i can play basslines, argegios or whatever against them. I'm thinking that my budget for this is going to be around £200, is that enough?

Maybe you guys can tell me how a keyboard will help my overall musicianship and perhaps make a specific recommendation.

I'm back in bass!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Jabinksy, are you going to record on a computer? If so, take a look at the EMU XBoard. It comes with various key lengths (49, 61). It comes with software called Proteus LE and has hundreds of sounds. Best of all it is under $200. Given your purpose, it probably isn't necessary to invest in some complex keyboard given this specific purpose. I like the fact that this board comes with so many sounds that are equivalent to hardware based keyboards. Then allocate extra money for your desired sequencer/DAW.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Well the thing is I'm pig ignorant about all this stuff.

Am I advised to put it through my PC?

Is what I've suggested doable without that?

Maybe it's time to turn my PC into a writing/recording/practice centre, but will I need a class A sound card, etc etc?

I'm back in bass!

Your computer normally has a built in soundcard which should be fine for your purpose.

The main issue though is that you want to make a chord progression to practice against. A very noble request. But aside from doing it on a computer where it is easiest, the non-computer solutions start to look expensive.

As an example, you will need some sort of audio recorder. Then you will need a regular keyboard to do your progressions on. Let's say you find some fairly inexpensive synth for this purpose like a Roland Juno-D, you're talking about a lot more bucks.

I would say that most of us record on a computer using a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software of some sort. You need a fancy sound card when you have to think about playing live to resolve delays in transmission/interpretations of your key strokes into music (called latency issues). For simple recording as you describe, the built in card should be fine.

The EMU XBoard I speak of above is plugged into a USB port on your computer.

"Which keyboard for bass player....?"

Man, there's gotta be a punch line for that one somewhere.

Reminds me of...

Q: How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Zero. The keyboard player will just do it with his left hand.

Jabinski , sorry about that. You've come to the right place to get some solid advice (albeit not from me) from some folks who know their stuff and are happy to help.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Jabinski, welcome to this forum. I might not be so nice to the six-string guys, but bass players are always cool with me. :thu:

So, if you're budget is really 200 GBP (that's ~$370 for us US guys), I'd say your options are limited to:

1) A controller that you connect to your PC

2) A fairly decent "home keyboard", which you will probably outgrow quickly if you're a "real musician".

An example of #2 would be the Yamaha PSR series keyboards. Problem with those is, they basically suck. :rolleyes: But it would be a starting point. I just think you'd end up wanting to replace it with something better fairly quickly.

However, if you bumped that budget up to, say, 300 GBP (550 USD), you'd have a wider range of option. Do a search on Casio, last three months, on this forum, you'll find lots of discussion about a new Casio that's surprisingly decent. You'd also have a few options in the used, low-end workstation part of the market.

If you tell us a bit more about what kind of music you play, what sort of sounds you want, and whether or not you aspire to becoming a keyboarist and/or pianist, we can provide more specific help.

Say "Yo" to all the bass guys on that other forum, will ya? (I swear, I wasn't even using my left hand. No, really). ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are nearly as cool as the lowdowners :)

Jazzwee, I'm convinced by your argument that i need to use my pc, so I'll investigate that and I might even go for the unit you recommend.

Dave, I'll have to look into the models you mention. Would you also recommend using my PC?

I play rock, blues, funk and a bit of jazz but I'm really hoping the keyboard will make me a better bassist. i'm not interested in being a concert pianist :) (sorry)

I'm back in bass!

Ok, I would like to gain some keyboard skills but only for the purposes of writing and practicing. I'm thinking of it as a kind of musical sketch pad, cos I think that for chord voicing a four string bass is somewhat limited.
I'm back in bass!

Originally posted by Jabinski:

Hi, I'm usually in the bass forum but those guys won't be as useful as you for my question.

Ahem. (Well, that doesn't offend me, but I can't speak for the other LDers over here.) ;)

I think the advice so far is spot on. I'd really go for a DAW (using your PC) if I were you, as has already been put forth. With a modest additional investment you can record your bass playing as well. (You can use free software like Audacity, but you might need/want a better sound card, preamp or audio interface.) So I guess we'll be seeing you in the EQ forums next. ;)

Uh, I'm not as familiar with the PC software. What would you guys recommend if he wants to record audio as well as MIDI?

Any inexpensive sequencer should be able to do the job. There's probably some $99 version of something like Cakewalk.

I use Ableton Live, which is probably too pricey for his budget, but it is easy to use.

Originally posted by Jabinski:

Dave, I'll have to look into the models you mention. Would you also recommend using my PC?

Thing is, I work with computers, servers, routers and such all day long at work. So, I basically hate using a computer for music. :( It feels like I'm working, which is definitely NOT how I want to feel about music.

I realize that isn't true for everyone. I am probably the wrong guy to ask for advice on the topic of computers and music.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Prague:

Nothing can be a worse buzzkill than firing up a computer and the peripheral(s) just to have a scratchpad.

A modest workstation is ready to go at the flip of a switch.

You are correct there of course Prague. But now we move from his budget of $200 to $3500. Unless of course you allow me to bring up the Casio PX310 again, which has a meager recorder, $599.

In any case, he's not trying to compose here. This is to make chord progressions for bass practice.

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

Originally posted by Prague:

Nothing can be a worse buzzkill than firing up a computer and the peripheral(s) just to have a scratchpad.

A modest workstation is ready to go at the flip of a switch.

You are correct there of course Prague. But now we move from his budget of $200 to $3500. Unless of course you allow me to bring up the Casio PX310 again, which has a meager recorder, $599.

In any case, he's not trying to compose here. This is to make chord progressions for bass practice.

True, there is nothing wrong with the workstation approach. In fact, if he were interested in gigging a la Geddy Lee with bass (primary) and keyboard (secondary), that would be a better choice.

As a mere practice tool -- providing chordal accompaniment -- even an all-software solution like BiaB or Finale would work, sans any kind of keyboard. (Another LDer takes this approach.)

At the very least, as a practice tool, the ability to record your own playing is quite valuable. I don't know of any keyboard workstations that have a jack to plug a bass into so you can multitrack record to an existing keyboard sequence. :freak: (Maybe those sing-a-long boards that come with a mic? I don't know.)

With DAW and controller he can go into composing at a later date without having to buy anything else. Not a good gigging solution, though.

A bit OT: I totally agree with the buzzkill. If I just want to play something I'll grab an acoustic instrument. No messing around choosing a synth module, screwing around with effects pedals, or even an on switch. Just play! :thu: (OTOH, it's easier to switch patches than it is to, say, take the melody you just came up with on guitar and try to play it on recorder or harmonica.)

Once again thanks for all your valuable input.

RicBassGuy, I'm grateful for you not taking offense. I was just trying to butter these guys up ;)

I think I will go to the £500 price range actually but I'll have to wait a couple of months.

Also, it will take me at least that long to understand all the new terminology and concepts contained in the above replies.

Wish me luck.

I'm back in bass!

Archived