Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Katrina Mission Trip /Camp Hope

Trill

This week I had the privilage of spending a week in Gulf Port Mississippi at Camp Hope. Camp Hope is a mission that helps restore hurricane victims houses.

The demand for skilled drywallers,electricians,roofers and carpenters is overwhelming . The money paid by insurance companies was minimal. :( It will be probably more than 10 years before the coastline will even resemble what it used to look like.They estimate the damage as nearly 90 miles of coastline.The first 4 blocks from the water are basically flattend and gone.

Why am I posting this ? If you ever et the chance to go help or are asked for a donation. Please give ,the need is real. This is the 3rd hurricane in 2 years I have witnessed the damage. Two of them, Charley and Rita, I was paid to work. This(Katrina) was volunteer and by far the most rewarding.

The pictures tell the story, and if you ever go. Make sure you stop at Little Rays for a Po Boy. :thu:

Camp Hope mission trip.

I'm the ugly guy in the red shirt next to the pretty blond in the first pic

My new friends Loren and Tiger,I helped wire up his new breaker panel ,so he can finally get his electic restored. Loren is typical of most. Living in a FEMA trailer,needing his house drywalled, rewired, reroofed ,and structure repair. Its been 8 months and hurricane season starts again in June. These folks(Katrina victims) are afraid of bieng forgotten after the next hurricane.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=att&disp=thd&attid=0.1&th=10abc9b8e40cdaff

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God bless you, Trill. What a mess it is. A few of my good friends lost homes there. I threw a couple k at it, but it's people like you that really make the difference and do the real giving.

Originally posted by linwood:

God bless you, Trill. What a mess it is. A few of my good friends lost homes there. I threw a couple k at it, but it's people like you that really make the difference and do the real giving.

Linwood ,the donations are every bit as important. In our group of 16, we were spending on average 1500.00 a day for materials. The insurance company considered the damage "flood damage " not hurricane damage.??? Many people didn't have flood insurance. I saw several different groups from other churchs doing the same thing. We had 50 at our camp. None of this would be possible without the genourous donations that pour in from all over the country.

I was going to reply to this thread early this morning but I had to rush out the door. Guess where? - to church! :)

I watched the slide show and it is really incredible to see how much devastation Katrina really caused and how much work still needs to be done.

I gave to the Red Cross shortly after Katrina hit the Gulf Coast last year and I likewise encouraged others at the time to give also. The American people have really opened their hearts and pocketbooks to the reconstruction effort and it really goes to show you the united spirit and resolve of the American people to help their fellow countrymen out in a time of crisis. Something the Federal Government was slow and lackadaisical in achieving.

It is really comforting to see all the support from across the nation that people from all walks of life have given to help in the effort to restore the affected areas caused by hurricane Katrina. And it's encouraging that various churches from various denominations are stepping up to the plate and offering their assistance also. :thu: God bless your acts of kindness to your fellow human beings. I know he already has and will continue to do so.

The Government unfortunately really let the Gulf Coast down - before (by not being prepared even though they knew that Katrina was a category 5 potential hurricane) and after - (by not coming to the aid of Katrina victims in a timely manner immediately after Katrina hit). Supposedly the Feds are developing a system to where that won't happen again. Too bad a disaster of that magnitude has to happen first before the Feds wake up and start doing something about it to circumvent it from happening again. :rolleyes:

And it has yet to be seen if the Government's new system works. Hopefully they won't be caught asleep at the wheel again.

Mike

I went down to Gulf Port last September to help out. Lines stretching out of banks, rationed gas if any at all, devastation EVERYWHERE. I'll tell you-we take a glass of icewater for granted. Like nothing I've ever seen. Those were some of the most resilient folks I've ever witnessed. They were all appreciative of our help and nobody was bitching about politicians or government agencies. If anybody here can do anything, it's true-they need our help.
chip

Archived