Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tried the new Studiologic VMK midi controllers?

Jazzpunk

I am desperate for an 88 key midi controller that feels as good as a yamaha board (my personal fav for 'real' piano feel).

Keyboard's review of the new Studiologic controllers says, 'Amazing keyboard feel and response, very true to real piano'.

Anyone played one of these yet? I'd love to hear some more feedback.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but it's difficult to discuss something as individually subjective as the action of a keyboard without having laid hands in it...

As for the amount of discussion, do a search for VMK here on the forum... there are 24 threads that, in one way or another, talk about this series of controllers (not just the 176).

Thanks for your responses. Guess I was just hoping someone else had an insider's track on this thing!

I am hopeful due to the review but after seeing the m-audio 88 key get props on it's feel (I think that board feels nothing like a piano), I am skeptical.

I wish Yamaha would come out with a dedicated midi controller that offered their piano feel that I love but I guess that will never happen.

They're not yet available to ship. :( I've had my mind set on these things since i read SOS's review like 6 months ago! Sadly, they're not yet in stock.

I'll probably order one as soon as it comes out.

just....hafta........waaaaiittt......

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

Jazzpunk, which M-Audio 88-key review are you thinking of?

My opinion is that the VMK Plus series is more pianistic than any other dedicated MIDI controller out there. Like I said in the review, it's really uncanny with both Ivory and Logic EVP-88. It makes up for in feel what it lacks in sophisticated MIDI programming stuff.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Hi Stephen,

In the July 2004 issue there is a small inset on the cover proclaiming, 'M-Audio Keystation 88; Coolest Midi Controller Ever?' During the review, Mr. Krogh goes on to say, 'This is one fine feeling 'board' as well as , 'If it retailed for hundreds more, it would still be killer.'

I respect that a review is just one person's opinion but that kind of enthusiasm along with the KB award, had me expecting great things from the action on the Keystation 88. It took about all of 30 seconds of actually playing the thing to realize that it was a decent entry level 88 key controller at best but bump up the price 'hundreds more'?! Sorry, not buying into that at all.

I felt there was a similar 'glossing over' of the ProKeys88 keyboard feel in the July 2005 review. Hughes writes; 'As I've said in every review of a weighted-action 'board I've ever written, keyboard feel is the most subjective evaluation keyboardists face. It's as personal as your style preference in underpants. You like what you like and there is no 'wrong' preference'.

While I agree with the basic sentiment, I also feel that there is a general real world consensus among players as far as which companies are 'doing it right' when it comes to weighted keys.

I did not mean any offense by my comments in the previous post but have to be honest and say that those reviews have left me feeling skeptical.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, and while I have your attention, any way you'd divulge which keyboard you personally feel has the best weighted action? This would help myself and others guage how we may respond to the new VMK :)

SOS reviews tend to be far more critical than Keyboard, but all the reviews - Keyboard, SOS, another I don't remember where - have all said the same thing about the VMK series: the midi stuff is below par but, coupled with Ivory, the action is absolutely superb.

Fatar make the weighted keybeds for Kurzweil and others. I reckon if you can try an 88-note Kurz, or GEM's Promega 3, and really don't like the action you probably won't like Fatar's latest either. Otherwise find yourself a dealer with a 30-day return policy and go for it.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Thanks for the tip niacin. I really havn't given Kurzweil much of a chance but I'll swing by my local music shop tomorrow and check one out in more detail.

I already have the Novation Remote for my midi programming so I'd be happy to sacrifice some midi features for a quality weighted midi keyboard that felt on par with the higher end digital pianos.

You will be looking to try a PC2x. Note I am not saying the action is the same as the VMK, but I reckon if you hate it, or really like it, well you will probably feel similarly about the VMK action because the keythrow is similar.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Originally posted by Jazzpunk:

...I did not mean any offense by my comments in the previous post but have to be honest and say that those reviews have left me feeling skeptical.

Just my opinion.

You're being very nice. Me, I'm not so eloquent and nice. Those M-audio keyboards really suck. I TRIED very hard to like them. But I have absolutely no idea how keyboard could even consider giving it a Key Buy, or even remotely saying that the action is any good. Yeah, yeah, to each his own.

But man, this is KEYBOARD magazine...you know, keyboard, like piano keys, or even organ keys if you prefer. Those m-audio keys are like...clacky ensoniq-eps-keys-wannabe. :eek:

(BTW, I like m-audio, I have oxy8, quattro, and firewire410)

It does makes you start taking these reviews with an even less grain of salt though doesn't it?

Anyway, I'd certainly like to try the VMKplus, but in the meantime, I'll stick to my ancient Roland A80 :cool:

Raul

I found the ProKeys 88 action to be the worst weighted action I have ever played. The darn keys were practically moving sideways!

Some people like a light action, and for them the ProKeys 88 is fine, I guess. I like a much heavier action that I can dig into. I use the Casio PX-310, which some people love, others despise.

The problem, as has been said many times, is that there appears to be nearly no concensus on what keyboard actions people like or hate. So you have no choice but to try them; reading reviews here or in a magazine is only marginally helpful.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by Krakit:

...but I agree that Privia action is the best I've ever tried.

:eek:

*thud*

(Does that mean there's a Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse ? War, Famine, Pestilence, Death, and A Pro-Quality Casio Digital Piano?) ;):D

:wave:

I know, it pains me to admit it. However, I love the feel of those Privias. Amazing that they weigh so little when they have such a heavy feel.

Carl

yep hobo...casios indeed rock

you still got that COOL customised one

keep threatening to paint/airbrush mine...when im not lazy and the last of the warranty runs out.

we havent seen a fatar/studio logic in australia for years [any aussie know any different now?]

was previously told they didnt pass our strict electrical laws damn

...always liked what they offered years ago...would love to check em out here now,

they had at the time the most portable pianofeel board at the time then only 20 kgs.When that was indeed light.

was recently interested in thier vmk80 i think its called a lightweight semi weighted portable

but liked the idea of the fatar at 6 kg for ease of movement,

although ive heard some bad reports [flexes tooooo much and touted later as a feature?]

but got the casio now for portability

looking for a kawai mp 9000 for recording only but casio will do in meantime although someone has mentioned latency issue?hope not[any comments]

Any fatars would be welcome here i reckon...more choice the better...Id certainly love to see em again

sometimes we are the arse end of the world.

But man, this is KEYBOARD magazine...you know, keyboard, like piano keys, or even organ keys if you prefer. ..... It does makes you start taking these reviews with an even less grain of salt though doesn't it?
You haven't been paying attention, this used to be a keyboard magazine.

Anyway, I'd certainly like to try the VMKplus, but in the meantime, I'll stick to my ancient Roland A80 :cool:
EXcellent choice, a steep learning curve for a midi controller, but a great action.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived