Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steely Dan

Hams clams

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I really knew about Steely Dan, the time a piece of music that smacked me between the eyes was soon after I'd bought my first quality stereo (Advent speakers, Yamaha electronics). Still living at home, I brought home a brand new set of expensive headphones and an album that Stereo Review just raved about, Pirates by Rickie Lee Jones.

I plugged in the phones, put em on, and dropped the needle on the first track, "We Belong Together". Wonderfully crafted, unusual sound, then a guy named Steve Gadd hit a few drums and I had tears running down my cheeks. Damn, I'll always remember that.

I first noticed the Dan when the dorm room next to mine at Iowa State kept playing this wonderful jazzchord opus, Aja.

Life is good.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Advent Speakers :thu:

I blew out many an Advent tweeter in my college days... using the Large Advents as PA speakers. :rolleyes:

Yup. I even purchased the Advent cassette deck with their Advent microphones. I bought my Dad an Advent receiver & my brother a pair of smaller Advent speakers.

Now I'm into the Tivoli stuff. So far I've bought three of their PAL radios.

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product_image.php?imageid=145

Thank you Henry Kloss. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I still have my Advent 300. Power amp's gone*, receiver dial doesn't turn, but the best sounding phono preamp ever. *Nice of them to give us an external power amp bypass.

I'm finally considering replacing it - we're getting intermittent random noise now. But maybe I'll pay to have it fixed instead...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by DafDuc:

I still have my Advent 300. Power amp's gone*, receiver dial doesn't turn, but the best sounding phono preamp ever. *Nice of them to give us an external power amp bypass.

I'm finally considering replacing it - we're getting intermittent random noise now. But maybe I'll pay to have it fixed instead...

Daf,

This link directly addresses your needs:

http://home.netcarrier.com/~rstevens/advent.html

:)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived