Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steely Dan

Hams clams

When I was growing up in South Africa a strange set of events took place that were to change the course of my life.

I was sixteen, it was 1976 and my friend Ant phoned.

"C'mon over" he said "I've got the stuff. Andrew is here already."

I knew exactly what he was talking about. We had been wanting to try out marijuana for some time and this phone call had just told me that his folks were away, he'd aquired the merchandise and the time was now.

I got there in about fifteen minutes flat. When I walked into his room there was a large heap of Cannabis sattiva on his desk which he and Andrew were cleaning meticulously of seeds and stems. They had waited for me and upon seeing me walk in armed with an ornamental hand carved Xhosa pipe which I had borrowed from the mantle piece at home, let out insane whoops of mischief. We shreaked and danced about ritually for a while before getting down to business.

We were coughing, spluttering and jabbering like teenagers, wondering what the point of all this suffering was when suddenly I shouted; "JESUS CHRIST, JUST LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC!!!" I apologise to anyone offended by the language that I used but looking back, it was an epiphany of sorts! Up until now we hadn't particularly noticed the LP that was playing in the backround but suddenly it leapt from the speakers in 3D. The groove was irresistable. We charged into the lounge where the hi fi was, cranked up the volume and sprawled out on the carpet, groaning in ecstasy.

The LP was in fact called "Count Down to Ecstasy" by Steely Dan and it wasn't just the stuff we had been smoking that had made it so good . Our rock caloused ears were being annointed with rich chords and sophisticated chord progressions that were launching the solos into orbit. We had cracked open a door to a transcendental universe which we were later to find out was called jazz.

So imagine my delight when I opened the latest Keyboard magazine to find an extensive feature on this awesome band with musical transcriptions to boot (or to download). I am not suggesting that you youngsters out there inhale the smoldering compost heap because ultimately, as a musician, you realise that being straight is more beneficial to your playing and that a habit like meditation is more beneficial.

But I am suggesting that anyone remotely interested in song writing as an art, science and craft, listen to the entire Steely Dan catalogue, Fagen and Becker solo projects included.

These guys know what they're doing!

PS If there is another Steely Dan forum steer me there. I couldn't find it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the Dan.

We used to listen to Beefheart high when I was in High School. Bag o' pot, game of Risk, and The Captain on the turntable. It was the only way it made any sense.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

In my case it was at the end of the song "Aja" during the drums. There is an analog synth part that is mixed in the background, but my herbally enhanced hearing zeroed in on it. I thought it quite cool that the mix forced the listener to seek out the part, and as such enhanced the brilliance.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by DafDuc:

We used to listen to Beefheart high when I was in High School. Bag o' pot, game of Risk, and The Captain on the turntable. It was the only way it made any sense.

Which, Captain Beefheart, or Risk? ;)
Life.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Which, Captain Beefheart, or Risk? ;)
Life.
Oooooh... deep. ;)

I can relate, though. :wave:

For me, it was Zappa (some Beefheart, some Fuggs), Sneaky Pete (Mad Dog ((MD 2020)) mixed with grape soda), herb and Euchre. I still have that deck of cards stained purple and smelling hempish.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Dang! It doesn't take weed to fully enjoying SD does it? I love the stuff (uh, SD that is) and enjoy being completely sober while listening to it.

I'm trying to get our band to do Josie but our guitarists run the show. :-(

"Those who don't believe timing is everything have never changed a diaper."

I have only recently discovered Steely and Zappa and I cant get enough of either of them!

Has anyone seen the DVD or film Frank Zappa made where for one of the songs each musician "moves" the notes by dancing? Brilliant!

Cool story Hams clams, made a nice reed as I roll up a smoke

:cool:

I would agree though that being stoned doesnt make things better when you play. I used to pour Jack Daniels into me and smoke a few doobies with the bass player (why they always stoners? :) ) but the gigs I play sober are always better, technically and the fact you can remember them! I would also say that you shouldnt smoke weed it if you're under 20 (it can mess up your brain) and like everything else, just enjoy it in moderation.

Blue JC could you recommend a few herb and euchure tracks to listen to?

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

Originally posted by Tupelo_Rod:

Dang! It doesn't take weed to fully enjoying SD does it? I love the stuff (uh, SD that is) and enjoy being completely sober while listening to it.

Smoking herb can get you into a Zen-like state, where your focus can be on your hearing, enabling you to more completely hear the music.

But, so can meditiation, and several other non-substance related techniques. So, no you don't need stonage to appreciate Steely Dan, just the mental state of active listening.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

So, no you don't need stonage to appreciate Steely Dan, just the mental state of active listening.

Word on the street is that the best way to enjoy the music of Messrs. Fagen and Becker is with a bit of Quervo Gold and fine Columbian. They make tonight a wonderful thing.

I wouldn't know.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

So, no you don't need stonage to appreciate Steely Dan, just the mental state of active listening.

Word on the street is that the best way to enjoy the music of Messrs. Fagen and Becker is with a bit of Quervo Gold and fine Columbian. They make tonight a wonderful thing.

I wouldn't know.

Are you saying that we can't dance together?

That was a cute post, and probably appropriate on today's date of 4/20. Welcome to the forum, by the way, Ham's Clams.

I guess that experience... listening to something musically fascinating while getting high... is something that a lot of us can relate to from our respective youths. It's my opinion that the music stands up with or without the intoxicants, but certainly the experience is made memorably intense by the combination of both.

While I'm thinking, which is rare, I also think that a lot of musicians unfortunately become convinced that one thing can't be appreciated as much without the other. As I've grown older, I actually find the act of listening to be at its very best when I am completely sober. That's not to say there's anything wrong with those who don't. It's just a personal observation, and one that's different now than if you'd asked me when I was 16 (or 20, or 24, or so).

So, I now like music, both playing and listening, more when not under the influence of any intoxicant. When I was 16, however, I distinctly remember hanging out with my friend and smoking some of the insanely good Hawaiian bud, and putting on Zeppelin II, and listening to the middle section of "Whole Lotta Love" in awe.

And so it goes. The collective consciousness of people born in the 50's and 60's, and perhaps 70's and 80's for all I know. Commonality that's shared, crossing borders, carving many different pieces of fabric from similar cloth, creating the quilt we call humanity.

- Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. That was insightful.

BTW, do you KNOW this guy? :P

http://www.tlhenry.com/photos/jeffhacky2.jpg

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

BTW, do you KNOW this guy?

That's Anthony Michael Hall.

What do I win? A boxed set of John Hughes movies on VHS?

DAMN you're good, Mark. :cry:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/69/Farmerted.jpg/180px-Farmerted.jpg

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

That's Anthony Michael Hall.

Right year, wrong guy. That's Jeff Da Weasel, circa 1983.

And Gassy... here's a more recent shot, made just for you:

http://www.klopmeyer.com/guestftp/100_1172.JPG

:D

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

All in good fun. If I didn't love Gassy, I wouldn't be able to enjoy telling him to f-off so much.

- Jeff

Oh, I'm feelin' the love. :evil::P

Here's one...

http://www.tlhenry.com/photos/MVC-008F%5B1%5D.jpg

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

I guess that experience... listening to something musically fascinating while getting high... is something that a lot of us can relate to from our respective youths. It's my opinion that the music stands up with or without the intoxicants, but certainly the experience is made memorably intense by the combination of both.

- Jeff

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0421/8879703_240X180.jpg

POSTED: 9:55 am EDT April 21, 2006

WASHINGTON - The government has restated its opposition to the use of marijuana for medical purposes. The Food and Drug Administration issued an opposition statement Thursday.

Bruce Mirken, director of communications for the Marijuana Policy Project said, "If anybody needed proof that the FDA has become totally politicized, this is it. This isn't a scientific statement; it's a political statement."

Supporting article here.

--------------

So what this means is that if you're terminally ill, don't count on medical marijuana to ease your pain and nausea. Thanks George. :rolleyes:

The next thing you know our government is going to find a way to restrict availability and fair use of our music. Oh, I forgot, the RIAA already has. :freak:

Personally, I prefer to listen to Steely Dan while drinking kirchwasser from a shell. Or perhaps a pina colada, my friend. You may think I'm crazy, but I'm just growing old.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived