Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP4 and others

keyguy

I visisted New York City this past weekend and went to Sam Ash Music to play the MP4 as a possible lighter replacement for my S90. I had already pretty much decided on the MP4 based on feedback from this forum. Well, as I walk in, there sits a Nord stage, which I have not played or been interested in, again based on the feedback from this forum. So, I play the Stage first. The sounds are only ok(didn't check ther version), the action is not to my taste, I already have an Electro, and the price is high. Next, I play the MP4. The action is great and the grand piano is very good, although I don't know how it would sit in a live mix. The other sounds are not good, so this would be for piano only. THe price is right, however. So, I play the S90es, which I have played many times before, to get a frame of reference. No surprise there, the action is nearly as good and the sounds are head and shoulders above the other two. Maybe I'm just partial to Yamaha's because I've always played them, but to me there was just no comparison in the sounds.And, I really wanted to love and buy the MP4. On papaer, it looks great. Unfortunately, I would have difficulty dealing with the extra length of the S90es.

So, as I'm leaving I glance down and see a MO8(hate the name). I played it, the action feels great, the sounds are as good as the S90es(except possibly the grand piano), it's the right size, it's fairly light and the price is right. I noticed the wall-wart, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Any MO8 owners want to weigh in with their comments? This might be the one. Thanks for listening to this rant and rave.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually liked the action on the MO8, but I have always been a Yamaha player. It seemed a little "faster" than the S90es, but very similar.I would probably want to spend some time with it before I made the jump, but I think I would be ok playing it. BTW, none of them play or sound as well as the P250, if you want piano and have a strong back.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

S90 weighs 51 lbs. MO8 44 lbs. I guess just a few pounds.And a new keyboard. We can justify anything. But I have been trying to get something other than a Yamaha for the past year. I want to like the Roland RD-300sx but to me, the sound isn't there. Have you played a GEM piano?(I haven't)Other suggestions?

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Keyguy thanks for the update. I am trying to make a similar decision.

MP4 - the local Sam Ash didn't have the MP4 plugged in or have headphones available so I have to truck back there with my own phones. I thought the feel was a little on the heavy side but very good. Great price.

S90ES - sat and played that and love it. I have a Motif ES Rack so I know how great the sounds are - the new piano sounds were very tasty.

RD700SX - this was the one that I had decided I didn't want - too heavy - but then I sat and played it for a while - what a great feeling keyboard.

Nord Stage - great idea - I liked the feel - very similar to my K2600X - but the piano sounds did nothing for me. and the price was crazy.

I also think that the next generation of yamaha digitals has been announced - the new CP series - but who knows when they will be in stores.

Originally posted by keyguy:

S90 weighs 51 lbs. MO8 44 lbs. I guess just a few pounds.And a new keyboard. We can justify anything. But I have been trying to get something other than a Yamaha for the past year. I want to like the Roland RD-300sx but to me, the sound isn't there. Have you played a GEM piano?(I haven't)Other suggestions?

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

Sorry, I was thinking of the S90ES which is only marginally lighter than the S90. Still, the MO8 is 21kg or 46lbs. You need to add a couple of pounds for the power supply, so you're more like three pounds difference. Still a wash in my book.

Make sure you fully check out the MO8 action. I found it to be similar to the S90/S90ES/MotifES8 but somewhat less refined. It feels like you're bottoming out when you hit it hard. It might be the lack of aftertouch.

I don't have a strong opinion on the GEM. I prefer the Yamahas and Rolands in terms of sound and action.

Busch.

You're right, It is most likely a wash. I love the Yamaha sounds but after all these years my KX-88 is still easier to program than the new stuff. I guess I just want easier live programming and lighter.

Maybe the new Yamaha CP33 might be the answer with a Motif ES module. A P90 with zones. More gear to carry, though. Any thoughts on the Kurzweil PC-1x? I almost bought a PC-2x when I got my S90 but decided against it after reading about reliability issues.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I hope I'm posting this correctly.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the great information you post here. I've been in the market for a digital piano, so I've been haunting your posts for the past week or so. What a great help!

Anyway, I went to some retailers and played a lot of boards. Reviews I'd read had pointed me to either the Korg SP250 or Kawai MP4. I loved the MP4 and bought it. I can't believe how much I like the feel of this keyboard.

But something weird may be going on: through the headphones it's coming out mono. I've checked the system settings and pan settings, and even reset everything to factory defaults. I haven't had a chance to check out the individual outputs yet. (I haven't patched it into my mixer due to some studio rearranging I have to do first.)

I've owned a lot of gear, and never run into anything like this before. I was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else with an MP4? I hope I don't have to lug this thing back to the store. It's a behemoth! (But I love it!)

Thanks again,

Bob

Hey Bob... welcome to the forum. Great first post, incidentally. :thu:

So, first off, let's clarify something (at least for my benefit ;) ). When you say the MP4 is "coming out mono" through the headphones, do you mean that you're only hearing sound from one side?

Assuming that is the case, the obvious questions (which you've probably answered for yourself, but have to be asked anyway) are:

1) have you tried the same headphones in another piece of gear to ensure that both sides are working?

2) have you tried a different set of (known good) headphones in the MP4?

I'm sure we can work through this, hopefully with no need to lug your new behemoth back to the dealer. :cool:

So, just as a disclaimer, the above questions aren't meant to imply that you haven't (or couldn't have) thought of these things, but merely to cover off the 'obvious' questions before we delve deeper into the subject. Without knowing anything about you, it's safer to not assume too much knowledge, even though your post seems to indicate you're pretty well-versed with your gear. :)

Hi Sven,

Thanks for responding.

The audio comes through in the center (either that or it's a frighteningly narrow stereo field). I tried two different sets of headphones that work fine with other equipment.

I'll get it hooked up tonight to the mixer and try it that way. I just thought maybe there was a quirk with the MP4 that someone else had dealt with.

Cheers!

Bob

Archived