Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are you listening to?

RABid

Dan's post got me to thinking that we have not had one of these threads lately. I always enjoy reading about what others are listening to because I get ideas on music to check out.

In the CD player for me today...

Sonowboy - Mambo Rage

Various Artists - The New Latinaires vol. 1, 2 and 3. Latin Jazz meets modern electronic.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Brown's Body - Among Them

10 Ft. Ganja Plant - Bass Chalice

Mogwai - Mr. Beast

Band of Horses - I forget the album title...

Low - The Great Destroyer

"wherever you go, there you are"

"If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why bother practicing??"

Yes yes... thank you for asking.

I am listening to Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat and trying to decide which track is my favorite. I was going to start a thread about it here, but read so much from Donald's web site that I figured that was enough... my head was spinning. It's amazing how entrenched some Steely Dan fans are as they try to figure out what Donald was really saying in his lyrics, etc. There are some really strange dudes over there... I'm still trying to fit in.

OK, other than the dance tunes that I had in my MP3 player as a refresher for my gig in San Francisco a few weeks back, I'm listening to Nickel Creek.

There are no keyboards in Nickel Creek's music, but it is bluegrass without being too weird. I'm not a big country music fan. Nor am I a fan of Irish folk music. I really appreciate the technical talent it takes to play a string instrument like a mandolin, fiddle, banjo or guitar with the skill that these folks have. I usually listen to jazz, so this is fresh to my ears. I like it.

OK. I'll stop. I'd really like to hear some recommendations from you folks regarding new (and old) music.

And finally, should I bite the bullet and get XM. I've been putting it off because I don't want to pay the $12/month. But if I don't hear some new music THAT I LIKE pretty soon, I'm going to implode... :eek: and it won't be pretty. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Toots Thielemans "The Brazil Project Volume 2"

Joshua Redman "Elastic" (damn, I wish I could play like Sam Yahel)

"Ben Folds Five" (the first album)

Herbie Hancock "Maiden Voyage"

Dave Holland Big Band "Overtime"

Wynton Marsalis "Live at the House of Tribes"

Donald Fagen "Morph the Cat"

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

I am listening to Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat and trying to decide which track is my favorite.

I'm still loving "The Great Pagoda of Funn".

hehe,niacin rocks :) ))

as for me...well,i really like to jump from A LOT of

REALLY different music (yes,i have an ipod:) ) .. but today...my day began with system of a down(their self titled album ROCKSS!!)..then i listened to some chick corea (with garry burton...wow!) then on to Arto (armenian ethno-jazz) then to the progressive side of things--pain of salvation and finished the day with opeth...yeah,i do a LOT of walking on streets with my phones allways on my head :)

Tony Levin--Pieces of the Sun (a very good instrumental album with Larry Fast on keyboards; I also want to pick up Levin's new "Resonator" album).

Depeche Mode--Exciter (I've been meaning to pick this up since Keyboard featured DM in their May 2001 issue, the same issue that the Andromeda is reviewed!)

ELP--Black Moon (getting into the mood of hearing Carl Palmer in June on his first-ever North American tour with his band!)

I have around 50+ gigs of music on my computer at work and I leave it on random most of the time. Right now it's watermelon in easter hay. Next few tunes are

soul sonic force - planet rock

disco biscuits - and the ladies

sonny rollins - mack the knife

SCI - eye know why

Outkast - Hey Ya remix

Benevento Russo - Becky

Beatles - Nite before

Jon Cleary - Pin My Spin

YoYo Ma - Tango

Alligator Records - 20 Years of Blues (rearranging "Sittin' On Top Of The World")

Ruben Blades - Editus

James Horner - Braveheart soundtrack (scoring documentary)

Clifford Brown - Ultimate

Eliades Ochoa - Y el Cuarteto Patria

Alison Kraus and Union Station - newest CD (forget name)

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Originally posted by Ben One:

Tony Levin--Pieces of the Sun (a very good instrumental album with Larry Fast on keyboards; I also want to pick up Levin's new "Resonator" album).

"Pieces of the Sun" from the Double Espresso CD??

(I REALLY dig that CD... :thu: )

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by Root:

I have around 50+ gigs of music on my computer at work and I leave it on random most of the time.

Yeah, I keep the 20 gigs on my iPod in shuffle mode. Among the recent pieces that have found there way to my ears -

Get Up Offa That Thing - James Brown

Hannibal - Miles Davis, Live Around the World

Someday We'll All Be Free - Donny Hathaway

Prelude in C# Minor, Op.3 No. 2 - Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff

I'm Goin Home - Charley Patton

...And The Gods Made Love - Jimi Hendrix

The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost - John Coltrane

King Harvest Has Surely Come - The Band

Supernova 2 - Gonzalo Rubalcaba

Emerson - Ives

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hey cool, i was thinking bout startin one of these! Oi folks it makes for much more interesting reading if you add some comments on ur music list :)

Today i'm in a jazzy mood, got some new stuff:

John Scofield - 'plays Ray Charles' or something. Bluesy and slightly funky feels, fairly commercial but great playing featuring Larry Golding(s?) on B3 and wurlie, as well as guest vox - Dr John but also John Mayer and others.

Uri Caine - Diabelli Variations

Crap this is cool, who's into this guy? I've heard him play rhodes on some pithy modern electronic jazz, but here he's on a fortepiano with an orchestra live in Cologne doing partially improvised interpretations of Beethoven. I'm digging it! Apparently he does Mahler on another CD... wow i've gotta check him out.

Kenny Wheeler - What Now

Pretty typical Wheeler material (which is nice - some great charts i might have to transcribe) but an interesting album coz there's no drums; Brit pianist John Taylor ups the rhythmic ante. They divide solos and other duties fairly evenly, with Chris Potter and Dave Holland - great line up actually!

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - (self titled)

Eeeeenteresting, instrumental material recorded in the Netherlands. It kinda sounds, naturally, like the Mars Volta jamming out with some jazz players, so a little wanky but i'm getting into it. Reminds me of '21st century schizoid man' in the crazy parts, but also some more subdued sections - the first track features Omar soloing on a gong! Hmmm...

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Mostly jazz for me these days, plus a few other things.

Kenny Garrett - Songbook

Jeff Tain Watts - Mega Watts

Allan Holdsworth - Wardencliffe Tower

Joe Henderson - Double Rainbow

Robert Wyatt - Shleep

De-Lovely - movie soundtrack

Monk - In Person

Plus, several of my friends have made records in the last few months, and a few of my students too! So I'm listening to those as well. Among these works, let me recommend one by my good friend, pianist/composer/arranger Riccardo Fassi:

Riccardo Fassi Tankio Band - Plays the Music of Eric Dolphy

Arrangements of the whole Dolphy album "Out To Lunch" plus a few other pieces, set for a small big band. Extremely well arranged, played and recorded. It's on the Italian label Splash, and it should have American distribution as well.

I had read about Tom Brislin's band Spiraling in KEYBOARD mag and here so I finally snagged a copy of TRANSMITTER. LOVE IT. Real songs with what's that thing they don't have on the radio anymore...oh, yeah-MELODIES?!?!? I'm getting their other albums. Cool old analog sounds and melodies...like a nestea plunge for my ears. I'm walking around at work all day now whistling "Lightning Twice".
chip

The new Chick Corea CD (Ultimate Adventure) is really awesome. I should really check out some of these Flamenco artists...

Herbie Hancock, as always. Man-Child is definitely an underrated album.

Joe Farrell & Art Pepper - album called Darn That Dream.

Weather Report (finally got some of those CDs)

Richard Good (playing Beethoven sonates)

Nothing. I'm bored with all of it at the moment.

It happens from time to time - I'll snap out of it...

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Originally posted by kad:

Nothing. I'm bored with all of it at the moment.

It happens from time to time - I'll snap out of it...

I'm always bored of it. There's such little good music that I'm always listening to the same stuff over and over.

But I never go without music!

Wow, there's a lot of stuff I've never heard of before, guess I'll get to have fun finding it all!

I am currently listening to a rough mix of our new demo. Our guitar player/band leader has become amazing at recording considering our resources. SM58s, SM57s and a computer with 8 inputs. Just enough for our 5 piece drum set, lol. I just did the keys and one of the parts I thought I played right reliably I played miserably. So, in a few minutes I will stop listening to that and start listening to myself play that part over and over to a click until I play it right. :D

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Today's mix, included

Weather Report - various

Jaco Pastorius Big Band - Word is Out

Brad Mehldau - Various Art of the Trio

Pat Martino - Tribute to Wes Montgomery

On Pat Martino -- I saw him perform this past week. He was talking about his experiences with the big names during the height of jazz in the 60's, Wes Montgomery, Miles...etc. Anyway, he was talking about most of his peers that have since passed away. And I was thinking to myself -- we're running out of these old timers that made the originals.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Originally posted by daBowsa:

NPR Classical stream and EtherBeat.

Cool NPR,(sorry guys, but I listen to public radio :D , online)

I'm "exploring" listening to diffrent types of music ,jazz, classical, latin etc.

I'm trying to find a type of jazz I like(I don't like "smooth jazz"no offense) but am having trouble figuring out the diffrent "types".

Archived