Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Singer/songwriters who play piano

Eric Iverson

I'm just curious about something.

I happen to be a Joni Mitchell fan, and as a guitarist have a lot of respect for the creativity of her guitar accompaniments, which are usually in a variety of unusual tunings.

How do you people rate her as a pianist? And how do you look at singer/songwriters in general who do a good job accompanying themselves on keyboard but are not really soloists?

My experience has been that singers who can accompany themselves on piano and/or keyboard are MUCH easier to accompany, even when they are not playing at the moment, because at least they understand the CONCEPT of keeping steady time and what a KEY is... or maybe that's another thread!

Oh well, two for the price of one - such a deal!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care if they're not great soloists. Like I've said before, I've sat and watched Bruce Sprinsteen do a solo tune on piano and no matter how much I practice or gig, I'll never be that good. Same goes for Graham Nash, Jackson Browne and the list could go on for pages. All mofo's to me. It's all about the intent. And Joni...top of my list.

I have a CD of Hoagy Carmichael playing the piano and singing his own tunes.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Brian Mcknight is IMO an amazing singer/pianist/guitarist. He doesn't just "get by" on guitar or piano, he's actually really good at them, and they're not even his main instruments. I've never heard him solo on either instruments but his chords and arrangments are top notch, not to mention his amazing vocals. This guy brings jazz back into RnB.

Check out his solo piano rearrangment for "back at one", his least jazzy and therefore most popular hit song:

Brian Mcknight - Back at one (Video)

I'm a guitar player too, so it may sound kinda odd, that I'll say........ it ain't all about the solo.

Great song first.... if he/she is a vocal performer...... I couldn't care less if there is a solo in there or not, leave that for the guitar player :) .

different people, different talent...... & the piano is such a beautiful instrument, I could listen to it all day long without a solo.

Originally posted by shniggens:

Axl Rose! ;)

LOL yes he wouldnt have attempted any mozart but was nice to hear a grand behind slash! Not too sure if the rest of the band were too happy about the whole grand piano/strings appearing onstage. "are we still a rock band?" was said i'm sure.

I think any kind of piano adds to a good singer/songwriter even if its just a few simple chords, the piano has its own special place in the sound which, in my mind, can only compliment everything else.

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

Eric, I've known people who think they play guitar who have no sense of timing, and people who think they play piano who have no sense of timing. I'd hate to generalize about guitar vs. piano and timing.

I suppose there are more people who just know a couple chords on guitar -- the bar is lower.

Actually, I know a gal who in many ways is a good musician, sings and plays guitar, but I no longer sit in with her when she plays "Angel From Montgomery" -- she doesn't know it but she sticks a half a beat at the end of one measure. The problem is she uses her fingers as substitutes for a sense of timing, and on that particular spot her picking pattern has the wrong number of notes.

But she plays some wicked delta blues too. She'd get better fast if someone mentored her just a bit, but it ain't my job!

Archived