Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

British Invasion

Phred

Hey all, looking for some good British invasion (1964-1968ish - British rockers...) covers that feature the Organ (Hammond preferably, maybe some farfisa).

Whiter shade of pale

House of the rising Sun

Hush

Gimme Good Loving

Other suggestions are welcome...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a song more enjoyable to play than Whiter Shade of Pale? I just love hittin that one.

I don't know where they're from offhand, but Steppenwolf did play during the 60s and I LOVE Magic Carpet Ride's sound. So, that's my reccomendation.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride !! Yea. When that came out, I was maybe 13. I can remember listening to that on the jukebox at some ice cream shop that I'd ride my bike to to buy cigs. It sounded so good coming out of that Seaberg. I still can't figure out how the guy slapped that intro on Hush. Killer tunes.

...nobody (I knew) had an electric piano during that time sooo-we all played organ on "She's Not There" by the Zombies.

On the live Zombies album from last year, Argent takes an organ solo on it, as well...

We will not waiver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and we will not fail!

George W. Bush

Originally posted by linwood:

I still can't figure out how the guy slapped that intro on Hush. Killer tunes.

It really needs the multiple contacts of a real Hammond organ to get the variations in tone between the light and firm slaps... :)

Originally posted by Phred:

[QB] Hey all, looking for some good British invasion (1964-1968ish - British rockers...) covers that feature the Organ (Hammond preferably, maybe some farfisa).

Deep purple were formed around then.

later: Ah! I'm just showing my ignorance, one of those tracks you mention is by them :)

What about this :-

http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/AllTimeHammondPopHits

long, long, long from the white album has Paul McCartney playing a Hammond ['playing' and 'McCartney' used together with apologies to musicians, please don't write :D ]

Sorry, but Deep Purple and Steppenwolf are not British Invasion bands! ;) Most British invasion organ songs are gonna be Vox Continental, not Hammond.

How about House of the Rising Sun (Animals)?

Do Wah Diddy (Manfred Mann)

I can't think of a lot of prominent organ in british invasion bands, but if you extend that to what's happening at the same time in America, you have:

Incense Peppermints (Strawberry Alarm Clock)

96 Tears (Question Mark & the Mysterions)

Hungry, Just Like Me, Kicks (Paul Revere & Raiders)

etc. etc.

The Hammond stuff started happening more in the 1967 time frame, after the invasion was over.

Moe

---

Oh hell yeah Telstar, by The Tornados if I'm not mistaken! I always thought that song could do with a really rockin near metal version, get some screamin guitars in there and hell yeah!

Seriously, that was my favorite song from age 10 to 14.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

How about some Yardbirds, John Mayall, and old Fleetwood Mack. These bands all had some good tunes with keys featured but these to might be a little late to be BritInv stuff? Have you heard of Gorgie Fame over there ? Some great Hammond sounds.
JDP

Get hold of Brian Auger and Trinity (Julie Driscoll on vocals). Their big hit was "Wheels on Fire".

Another worthwhile CD is "Blues Anytime Vol 3" with a whole bunch of guys who later became famous on it. Nicky Hopkins, for example. You will recognize some of the guitarists on there too.

Originally posted by jook:

and if we're extending to non-british bands of that era, then you'd naturally ought to be including The Doors of course, of course.

And THE BAND

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by PianoJazz1951:

...nobody (I knew) had an electric piano during that time sooo-we all played organ on "She's Not There" by the Zombies.

On the live Zombies album from last year, Argent takes an organ solo on it, as well...

One of the very few "immitative" sounds the DX7 actually did well was the "She's Not There" wurly. I used my DX7 on this little snippet, recorded around 1988. :)

She\'s Not There

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Archived