Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paypal wants me to get "verified"

DanS

I still don't understand what the deal is with this. You reach your $750US "send limit" with Paypal, and then they want you to get verified by giving them a bank account number just so they can feel all warm & fuzzy about letting you use your money to buy something for yourself?

Suddenly my credit card is not good enough for these schmoos?

Do I have to create an account just for Ebaying & the like to keep Paypal happy?

I'm sure as hell not giving them access to one of my regular accounts.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that whole "verified" deal with your bank account number sounds like a rip-off waiting to happen. It's probably a bit worse than giving people your SS number or pin number to your ATM card. I am trying to avoid using paypal as much as possible.

It's a well-known scam. I get these verification notices often, and I don't even have a PayPal account. Do NOT reply using the links they provide. Contact PayPal independently if you have questions about the validity of the request.

Watch out for similar notices from banks who need to "verify your account info".

- Jeff

I'll second Jeff- I get those Paypal notices all the time and I don't have a Paypal account. I get the bank ones too that want me to click on a link to verify my account for a bank I don't deal with.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

This is legit.

I have .87c left in my 'send limit'

I can't use Paypal at the moment for any on line purchases.

My issue is with letting Paypal use one of my bank accounts as the default method of payment (getting "verified"). I could still use my credit card to pay for stuff, but they would still have access to an account, and that's what I have a problem with.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

<< Paypal verified for going on 3 years and never had an issue. My place of business is also verified and we make 10-15 transactions a day.

If you're really stressing it, you can take off the account after you purchase what you want and add it if you need to again.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

I rarely use Paypay but used it last night to order an old copy of Keyboard Player magazine. I recieved an e-mail (receipt) with all the information. Towards the end of that message I read where I could 'verify' myself. They wanted $1.50.

I didn't do that but the request did come from the site where I ordered that magazine. Odd.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I opened a second bank account just for PayPal. If I need to send funds, I transfer money in. If I receive a payment, I transfer it to my regular account as it appears. There's usually never more than three dollars in there ;)

So far, so good. Check out http://www.paypalwarning.com

Dont worry about the verified thing its just for security and i only deal with people who are non-verified under strict conditions as if there are any problems paypal wont cover you for selling to a non-verified account.

As per the other posts, dont respond to any emails requesting your login or bank details, paypal wouldnt do that directly.

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

Yeah, I know it's been stated a bunch already, but dear god don't respond to anything that says it's from ebay or paypal. If ebay wants to send you a message, it'll be in your ebay messages, and it will have a designation that it's from ebay. I just delete them right out. And don't respond to a question from an ebay member from your email. Again, log in to ebay, do it there. If the question isn't there, guess what?

Forward those emails to: spam@ebay.com

spam@paypal.com

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Dick Ward - My Me

I've used PayPal with no problems many times, and yes they do this sort of verification. In my case they charged USD 1.50 upon registering, which was duly credited back on my first purchase through PayPal.

That said, never trust any links from either "PayPal" or any "Bank" which are sent via e-mail. That is an obvious scam. In case you want to contact PayPal, do so by logging in their website and writing them a message from within there.

Just for the record (and to remind you guys how spoiled you are ;) ) I have a VISA Platinum which is not accepted for any purchases in the US unless I am physically present. Just because I am not an American citizen and/or the bank that issued the credit card is not in America. The official excuse is always very convoluted, involving the words "verification" and "security". Then again it is kind of weird when I try buying something from a store that accepted my VISA months ago (when I was physically present) and the very same VISA, which of course they know is valid based on the stores own previous experience, is refused.

Therefore I always have to rely on some local friend purchasing the item in my stead and then paying them back through PayPal or some other complicated scheme. Not to mention depending on someone else to physically bring the item to me in Brazil...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

I'm having a problem with PayPal. My account has been put on "limited access". I just discovered this now, while trying to buy the KC comp.

Why? "We have reason to believe your account has been accessed by a third party". on Jan 31, to be exact. Which it wasn't, believe me, I would have noticed.

So, I am unable to send money. Even though I apparently still have several hundred left in my "unverified account". The question is asked on the FAQ page: What can I do to resolve this issue? The answer (in black and white): Nothing.

I tried updating my file, but there's nothing to update, nor are there any open or closed disputes on record.

I dropped off a request for help in the message box, and noticed the fine print stating it could take 30 days for a response.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

They have a phone number that you can call and get help there.

PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you during the following times:

4:00 AM PDT to 10:00 PM PDT Monday through Friday

6:00 AM PDT to 8:00 PM PDT on Saturday and Sunday

Call us toll-free at: 1-888-221-1161

Don't use the automated email service, it's useless. Call them, tell them your problem, they'll make it work. But remember, they deal with angry jerks all day, so if you're cool to them, they'll be cool to you.

Best of luck!

Dick Ward - My Me

I too am "PayPal" verified. I also only accept PayPal from those who are verified. It's the only way PayPal will back me in a dispute. Same with a buyer.

I have a second checking account used only for PayPal. I't s free account with no minimum. They charge for checks and all, but since it's only PayPal, I never use checks.

I have NEVER had a problem with this.

I also went through the similar process to be ID Verified on eBay.

David

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

FWIW (to add to the chorus) I have been a verified business member of PayPal for many years and have had no issues with them at all. I use my account there all the time. AFAIC, it's actually convenient to have them do a quick-dip into my bank account when there aren't enough funds available in my PP account.

:DTR

Originally posted by DanS:

Thanks.

The idea of opening a seperate account occured to me, but then the service fees associated with keeping that account running just for Paypal also occured to me.

Its called "free checking"...no fees or minimum balances. At least at my bank.

Warning: RANT

Paypal "verification" pisses me off. They're full of BS, frankly: this has nothing to do with security, they just want a bigger hold on you or something.

First, note that there's a difference between "paypal verified" and "verified shipping address". The latter is appropriate and simple.

But why the HECK would they wait until after you'd spent the initial amount BEFORE needing to get verified? Why would spending $1000 or so over 3 years (as I did) with no problems mean that THEN I couldn't spend any more money without getting verified?

I refuse to give Paypal a bank account. If they have that, they can take all my money and I have to get it back by taking action against them. This is entirely different than giving them a credit card number, which I can dispute through the agency. That's the only way I'm willing to do business with PayPal (other than getting a second account for a single purpose, if necessary). No way I'm going to give them the keys to the safe for any significant account.

Note that I do not suspect them of any intentional wrongdoing. It's just too easy to make a mistake, and I want mistakes to be their problem, not mine (mostly).

Here's what I did -- though it turned out to be unnecessary. I opened a second account using a slightly different name and a different credit card. Note that this is not illegal unless it's for fraudulent purposes, and I had nothing illegal, immoral, or fattening in mind. And then I didn't use Paypal at all for some time, maybe as long as 6 months. Not for any particular reason.

As it turns out, I never needed the second account. For unrelated reasons, I changed the credit card on the first account (the card number changed). Later, and maybe completely unrelated, I logged in to Paypal to pay for something and found my limit on my first account (which had been down to about $20) is now up to $7500 or something like that. I don't know what actually triggered the new limit.

Go figure.

No way I'm going to give them my bank acct # for "security reasons". If they're not willing to do business with me using the original model, they can take a hike.

Paypal. Just say no.

Sellers hate paypal because of the fees, the ripoffs, and the bad service. Buyers with any sense hate paypal because of the bad service and the ripoff potential. I hate paypal because I have been ripped off and because of their contract. Paypal suXXX0rz and I no longer use it. There are very few deals that can't be made with CA$H or a money order, and these few are with sellers who are posers.

It's a fucking scam. Anytime you get an email from "paypal" or "eBay" wanting you to give info...it's bullshit. It's NOT, repeat NOT from paypal or eBay...it's a "phisher" trying to get your credit card info.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

It's a fucking scam. Anytime you get an email from "paypal" or "eBay" wanting you to give info...

Jeez Tedster, did you by any chance hacked this post count of yours? I mean, If my math is right, 25k plus posts mean some 69 years posting once every day...

How old are you, man :confused::eek::freak: ?

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Archived