Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond XB2 Value

Paul Clancy

Hi folks, im bidding on a hammond XB2 on ebay and wondering would anyone know how much they are worth and what they're like? ive been dying to get my hands on one for ages and the xb2 looks perfect for gigging with!

anyone any experiance with this board? potential problems etc? looks like its in perfect nick and currently going for about 450!!!

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're worth about US$400 if they're working. Mine had a problem with one of the RAM ICs which rendered it useless. I traded it to Goff Professional for the XK-3 and didn't get much for it, but they can fix the noise and it seems to be a common problem.

I'm just curious how you could be wondering 'what they're like', yet have been dying to get (your) hands on one for ages'? It sounds to me like you're not really sure what the XB-2 sounds like, so you may very well be disappointed. Just my $0.02, of course.

According to Prepal.com, the XB-2 has averaged out at US$654 on online auctions, FWIW.

As always, caveat emptor.

I'm currently on my second XB-2 because the first one was stolen. I got it for $533 on eBay, so you did alright.

All-in-all it's a supurb instrument. It is a very convincing B3 clone. When Keyboard included it in one of the first B3 shootouts, it got a 7 1/2 out of 8 for authenticity, and an 8 for balls. If it is a version 2 (look at the display when it boots, it will tell you) you can make several adjustments to make it more realistic, like key click and foldback.

Word of advice. Run it through a Leslie or a Motion Sound. DO NOT use the Leslie sim. It Sucks. Plus, with it running, you cannot use the vibrato/chorale. And if you don't have the Hammond expression pedal, get one, you'll need it. It uses the EXP-100A, but the new EXP-100F works as well.

Nice purchase. May you have years of great playing with it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yeah, I remember hating the onboard Leslie too!

I managed to get half-decent tone running the XB2 through a Korg G4 leslie sim. Nothing like having a real Leslie on stage, of course...

R.

Originally posted by Paul Clancy:

Also, I presume a generic expression pedal would work such as this http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/EXP-main.html

Im poor :)

It might work OK, but not near as well as the Hammond Pedal. Are you getting one with the board? If not, save up and get one. You'll find that the Hammond pedal is much smoother, and the overdrive effect is easier to control.

When I got mine it came with the EXP 100A. After a bit it for some reason failed (not a common happening). I used an inline volume pedal that worked fair, but I sprang for a new EXP-100F. Well worth the expense.

I'm running mine through a Pro3-TM using the onboard mike to run the highs through my onstage mini PA, and the lows in stereo through my little PA. Really brings out the sound.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

<http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/EXP-main.html >>

I seem to remember the expression pedal input on XB2 has a proprietary jack, not a stereo TRS 1/4 inch jack, which the m-audio pedal has.

Back in the day, I ran the output from the XB2 into a Boss volume pedal (onto the original Pro 3, the solid state one, not the tube one, nasty nasal tone) to get around purchasing the expensive Hammond expression pedal.

I don't remember if the expression pedal input on the XB2 has a non-linear volume curve like a real B3. If it does, that may be a reason to spend the extra dough on the Hammond pedal. Obviously, the volume pedal solution listed above lacks that particular but important quirk of a real B3.

Originally posted by Paul Clancy:

Also, I presume a generic expression pedal would work such as this http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/EXP-main.html

Im poor :)

Such a pedal can be connected to the output line - the Hammond one connects to its own special jack, and controls "expression" - not quite the same as volume - from the inside. But the volume pedal will work in a pinch.

I have a Pro-3 with a homemade bass cab - nothing is like a real Leslie, but it sounds pretty good IMHO.

- Bob

Archived