Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worship bands - live setup ?

Troy S.

Originally posted by gangsu:

I've never felt comfortable with the idea of bringing in drums.. but that's only because the odd person requesting the possibility (never a musician) thinks that a "joyful noise" will solve all membership issues.. emphasis on noise...

Right. It won't.

Properly used, drums can add an element that makes the music resonate with SOME of your assembly. It's not necessarily age-related, BTW - there seems to be a strong correlation to musical education. The musically unschooled, as a group, are more likely to appreciate stuff that sounds like what they hear on their radio station of choice, where those who were in a school symphony or choir are more likely to appreciate classical and choral works. Not everyone fits the mold, of course, and plenty of cross-pollenation there, too.

Other than a brief stint running a LifeTeen liturgy in the late 90's, I've never been the music leader with a drummer involved. My observation is that some drummers just don't know how to stay off the high hat, or cool their levels, or adjust their style in any way to fit the worship service. Others seem to have an instinct for how to make it work - the high school kid who played for me in LifeTeen was one of them. A real natural - hope he stuck with it.

As long as he/she is willing to take direction, and flexible enough to pull off the on-the-fly arranging that has to happen (e.g., play til Fr. is done preparing the table, then you'd better not start another verse or there'll be hell to pay), and the push-pull on tempos, I'd welcome a drummer. I'd need a bassist too, or else I'd have to bring the keyboard stack up from the basement - ooh, or get a Moog Piano Bar... :love:

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by synthdogg:

For you church-goers out there, do you ever get aa chance to see any really cool keyboard playing at church? Especially people at larger churches (Pursuit Boy)....I'm just curious.

I had the opportunity to attend a service in Sweden a few years ago, which was performed entirely in latin. The dude on the pipe organ was amazing, and the sound shook the building, which was circa 1500.

You felt like you'd gone back in time.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Most all of the musicians who play for Willow Creek Church are paid staff positions. I know most of the frontliners(both vocalists and players) have exstensive music degrees and the professionalism is on par with any first class venue here in Chicago.

There are maybe 5 or 6 (bands) groups of musicians who play together and rotate from week to week. Sometimes they will have a horn section or other combo. Every week is different. Alot of the holidays will include complete orchestras and it's like going to a symphony!

However great the musical expierence is, I always come away feeling it was done to promote the higher message. The image of self is ceartainly not portrayed.

If you ever come to Chicago,please come visit my Church (Willow Creek) for a service. The auditorium seats over 7,000 with a membership around 20,000. The musical expierence alone will make you want to take part.

Gary

Gary,

I had the opportunity to play at Willow Creek several years back (just before the new sanctuary was finished) as part of a "guest" worship team. I really enjoyed all of the people that we met there, and your facilities and equipment were amazing. I try to attend your Thursday night services whenever I'm in Chicago on business. What a great experience!

Greg

Hey Gary,

Don't mean to flame here, but what does 'paid staff', 'extensive music degrees' and 'professionalism' have any bearing on what instruments are used at Willow Creek and the original question regarding what we use in our church for keyboards? On your first post, you barely answered the question. More appropriately would be how often are the mentioned instruments used in the Willow Creek services. At least that is what I am interested in! As covered by various previous posts on this board, many of us involved with church worship teams are not paid, non-Christian performers, as in many of the mega-churches, or have extensive music degrees. We are just using the talents God gave us (as a matter of giving back to the Lord), irrespective of our formal training. Sorry to vent, but I don't see the salience of your comments.

Brian

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Originally posted by synthdogg:

For you church-goers out there, do you ever get aa chance to see any really cool keyboard playing at church? Especially people at larger churches (Pursuit Boy)....I'm just curious.

On a trip through England in 1983 my wife and I visited Salisbury Cathedral, the oldest (15th century) active church in the UK. After dinner we walked to the cathedral to do some night photography outside. It was a warm evening in September and the organist was practicing for Sunday with the windows cranked open. From 100 yards away we could hear everything clearly, and this guy was doing stuff that would make Rick Wakeman look like an amateur. The most amazing thing he did was a very swinging redition of Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train"!

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Originally posted by Buddy1065:

Off topic; I was wondering if there was a place on this forum for worship musicians to exchange tips, tricks and riffs...if not is there another forum that I can check out for this?

This is a great idea if there are enough people interested -- dB, I'd even be up for mod'ing it if you'd like someone.

To answer the original question, I currently use a Kurzweil PC2X / K2661 combo most weeks, although sometimes I bring my K2600AES (rarely) and other cool pieces from the rack.

In the past -- everything from Korg X3 (just scored another one recently) to Roland A90EX to Korg Triton ProX to JD800 to B3/122 to Kawai 7'6" artist grand to O1WPro76 to blah blah blah blah blah.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

I am in a Christian Rock band (Ps147) and use a 1956 Hammond C3 w/122 Leslie and a Casio Wk3700. I was skeptical about buying the Casio initially but it has turned out to be a wonderful board. Light-weight, good solid pads, strings and synth sounds which can be selected quickly or saved in a bank for easy recall and sounds can be layered and/or split and saved for quick access. It has good pianos (though I rarely use them) and a decent Hammond section which I would feel comfortable using if the real Hammond quirked and stopped working (which hasn't happened yet). I wouldn't mind using a second WK 3700 or having a dedicated piano (M-Audio makes a good low-priced option or the best Casio EP-400--not sure of the model number there), but often I don't have the stage room for an L-shaped setup.

I do use the Hammond on just about every song, always tweaking the drawbars, chorus and vibrato and Leslie settings from song to song and within various parts of songs. I don't think it makes every song sound the same. I do think it creates a continuity in the band's sound as opposed to every song sounding like some other band--so we always "sound" like Ps147. If I could get by with just the Hammond, I would, but the music calls for those synth sounds......

When I played in a P/W band that played at church every Sunday, I used the Hammond and an old Ensoniq Electric Grand which I used as a controller with two Roland U-220's rack mounted synths.(I think). It allowed me to do all I needed to do. Our other keyboardist at that time used a stationary Kurzweil in church and a Korg Triton for "gigs". (I really did't like the Triton at all).

BD

1956 Hammond C3 with Leslie 122, Roland V-Combo, Trek II Preamp, Peavey KB 100, 1976 Natural Maple Rickenbacker 4001S bass

And yes folks, I do gig with a Casio WK 3700...So there!

I am in a Christian Rock band (Ps147) and use a 1956 Hammond C3 w/122 Leslie and a Casio Wk3700. I was skeptical about buying the Casio initially but it has turned out to be a wonderful board. Light-weight, good solid pads, strings and synth sounds which can be selected quickly or saved in a bank for easy recall and sounds can be layered and/or split and saved for quick access. It has good pianos (though I rarely use them) and a decent Hammond section which I would feel comfortable using if the real Hammond quirked and stopped working (which hasn't happened yet). I wouldn't mind using a second WK 3700 or having a dedicated piano (M-Audio makes a good low-priced option or the best Casio EP-400--not sure of the model number there), but often I don't have the stage room for an L-shaped setup.

I do use the Hammond on just about every song, always tweaking the drawbars, chorus and vibrato and Leslie settings from song to song and within various parts of songs. I don't think it makes every song sound the same. I do think it creates a continuity in the band's sound as opposed to every song sounding like some other band--so we always "sound" like Ps147. If I could get by with just the Hammond, I would, but the music calls for those synth sounds......

When I played in a P/W band that played at church every Sunday, I used the Hammond and an old Ensoniq Electric Grand which I used as a controller with two Roland U-220's rack mounted synths.(I think). It allowed me to do all I needed to do. Our other keyboardist at that time used a stationary Kurzweil in church and a Korg Triton for "gigs". (I really did't like the Triton at all).

BD

1956 Hammond C3 with Leslie 122, Roland V-Combo, Trek II Preamp, Peavey KB 100, 1976 Natural Maple Rickenbacker 4001S bass

BD

Ooops,.....sorry for the double post. Impatience got the best of me.

BD

hey bluesdisciple

we know

we know

we know.............tee hee

dont worry mate it happens to me all the time

you dont think the message is responding and you hit the send bar again

and again

and again

ive learnt now but sometimes it still seems to happen when your typing too.

Errant fingers on the enter key.

you can edit your mistake messages

it wont remove your posting but will reduce the size

but personally leave this posting as it is as then mine wont seem silly .

hope that helps.

enjoying this thread even if my days of christian rock bands are over.

mine was originally a Roland JX 8p and then traded in on a Kurweil K1000 SE extended.

Wow that was a jump in those days.

Then there was less inchurch playing but more christian Rock / Coffe shop bands here in Aussie.

Im afraid I no longer believe but remember good fellowship with fondness and sometimes longing.

cheers from down under.

Archived