Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worship bands - live setup ?

Troy S.

My live rig is: Fantom X7 (SRX 11 and SRX 7) and VK8-M.

Portability is a must for twice a week playing (practice and service). And this setup covers the bases pretty well.

For those of you who do play in worship bands, what gear do you prefer?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by: DanS

I just play on the old shitty out of tune piano.

Low G sounds like a sitar.

--------------------

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

So does what we say Daniel. ;)

>> Troy, welcome to KC! :thu: You'll find this site a rich resource for all things 'Keyboard'.

Btw Troy, since this is your first post you may want to use the search function near the top of your browser while visiting this Forum. It will be a handy tool for finding answers to your questions.

In regards to your question about which setup Worship Teams are using, I'm sure it runs the gamut from Digital Pianos to Synth Workstations to B3 Organs, to Controller Keyboards with Rackmounts, to Controllers connected to a PC/MAC using various VSTi's, etc. On this Forum you'll find members using one of the above methods and then some most likely.

Keep coming back Troy. You'll find a treasure trove of info plus meet some really nice people here at KC. And don't mind DanS. He's just being his abnormal self. :)

Mike

Originally posted by Troy S.:

For those of you who do play in worship bands, what gear do you prefer?

I know this will sound old, but I use an Alesis DG-8 (mostly for the piano) with a Vintage Keyboards Q-card. Although it doesn't have the waterfall keys (nor their feel), it does work for the preaching chords fairly well. And the built in speakers can be heard by everyone in the congregation. :o

Best regards,

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Keynote: I did notice some threads about "live gear", but wanted to get some feedback specifically about worship bands. Thanks for the warm welcome by the way - not all forums are so welcoming to the new guy!

Ken Hughes said he played a Nord Stage on Casting Crowns "Who Am I" in his review for November Keyboard. It got me wondering what gear other bands are using since most CCM calls for pads, strings, piano, and organ. Unless we're coveing recent Hillsong United, I rarely have a chance to pull out the EP's. There are dozens of ways to cover these bases, but learning a different approach from someone else always helps me grow musically.

Don: do you run through your house system as well, or just run off the stage?

Ken Hughes said he played a Nord Stage on Casting Crowns "Who Am I" in his review for November Keyboard. It got me wondering what gear other bands are using since most CCM calls for pads, strings, piano, and organ.

Funny sidenote: I read this post and tried to remember what I used for that "Who Am I" track. I can't really remember....the only thing I remember for sure is running a Nord 3 through a Korg Kaoss Pad for the main pad sound......I always liked how pitchy and quirky the tape delays are in those things.

Back to the topic.....I've done a lot of CCM work and I've always tried to stay away from those pad/string/piano conventions. Obviously, I can't always (and I'll use B3 on anything...it just always sounds goood ;) ) but I try to use them as last resorts.

The big need for me when playing in a worship setting is always speed....I need a rig where I can come up with interesting sounds fast, as there's rarely a set list and I like to just stay with wherever the flow is going....so having keys that I know well and can edit on the fly is pretty crucial....realtime knobs are very helpful, and quick edit of time based effects is essential.

I've always thought one of those tap tempo pedals would be useful, but I've never gotten around to trying one out. Anybody have any hands on experience?

This was a concert held at our church in February.Also 2 weeks ago the vocal group Take 6 performed for three services. Willow Creek has a Yamaha Grand ,Hammond B3 and a Motif ES8 thats usually always onstage. Although when special artists perform they bring alot of their own gear. Check out the website for details

http://www.willowcreek.org/

Willow Creek swayed and prayed with the Grammy and Dove- award winning Christian band Third Day on February 27. The sold-out concert filled Willows main auditorium with 7,000 peopleall eager to hear the five-member Atlanta-based band.

Jumping to their feet, the crowd launched into several spontaneous waves prior to the bands appearance on stage.

Tonight is a worship experience telling God how great He really is! said lead vocalist Mac Powell. Worship included three giant screens with colorful cascading lights, spider webs, funky circles and binary digits. The audience, who rocked and waved open cell phones in the darkened auditorium, absorbed the message of hope, love, forgiveness and grace.

Third Day played as part of the Student Ministries Next Gen Leadership Conference hosted by the Willow Creek Association (WCA). Attendees came from around the world (Canada, Costa Rica, Korea, Northern Ireland) to learn how to develop the next generation of leaders. Before the concert, Next Gen Ministry Director Darren Whitehead, invited the audience to, Rock the house. But participating doesnt stop at a concert. It goes on every week at Willows student ministries: Elevate (Junior High), Student Impact (High School) and Axis (20-somethings).

One of the evenings highlights was the song, Communion, which was added to the set by special request and rarely performed by the musicians on tour. According to band member Mark Lee commenting on the musical programs connection to the Next Gen Leadership Conference it was kind of a mix between a closed event and a regular tour show for us.

WCA Conference Marketing Manager, Kelly Klein, added, The band was invited to conduct a musical worship experience for several reasons.

First, it was a value add for conference attendees. The program provided a place for attendees to come to worship together and feed their souls as pastors and youth leaders.

Second, the event was open to the public to bring people of all denominations together, to worship our Savior Jesus Chris together in one room.

Third, people who have never been to Willow Creek, had the opportunity to see what our church is about and what we have to offer.

The band finished the concert with the audience on their feet, hearts excited, eyes blinking, as the lights were came up in the auditorium. Drifting into the parking lot, concert-goers were still buzzing about the worship experience.

No doubt the buzz will continue.

Top of Page

© 2005 Willow Creek Community Church 67 East Algonquin Road, South Barrington, IL 60010 (847) 765-5000

For our band that I MD, I have a Motif ES7, and Hammond C3 plus a Mac laptop.

Our other keyboardist has a Motif 8 and a Roland Fantom.

But he have a full band as well too: saxophone and trumpet players, percussionist, lead and bass guitar, and a drummer.

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

Don: do you run through your house system as well, or just run off the stage?

Just the stage. It isn't the biggest church youv'e been in. Our congregation is about 75. But, the speakers are 100 watt so it can be rather loud.

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Aussie: Thanks for the welcome!

wjwilcox: If my eyes don't deceive me, your band had 4 seperate keyboard players for that gig!! Is that correct!?

Darcity: I'd really enjoy a Hammond on stage, but until then, it's a clone. Do you guys upload a webcast? I'd love to hear how the horns sound with the rest of your band. I watch 722 on the web occasionally and I think Steve Thomason uses a B3, Fantom, and Motif ES?

Synthdogg: If I go with organ too often, our songs start to all sound same. But it does sound sweet! For now, I'm trying to stick close to the original recordings. And the Fantom does a decent job with real time controls/live performance set up.

Element: If you can live with semi-weighted keys on a 76 keybed, it may lighten your load; and there's always the electro.

My favorite setup is acoustic grand and an Electro 61. Sometimes I have to lug in the S90. I'm getting motivated to find software for my laptop to play pads/choirs and drop the S90 altogether.

I always use an amp so I can compete with the guitar players. ;)

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

I use a Nord electro 61. Recently I purchased FM7, since I have a very portable Sony T250 laptop with a 10.6" screen. Now with the Nord connected to the Sony laptop I can get the vintage DX-7 sounds still popular today. I am not interested in recording right now, only playing live, and the Mackie 350 speakers make the DX-7 and other FM sounds so incredible to me I prefer them over the piano and e-piano sounds of the Nord, so right now it is only FM7 and that Nord Leslie simulation organ, which I love. I really have to check out FM7 with my Powerbook though, since I can run Garage band. Hopefully I can get FM7 sounds from there, since Garage band has drum beats and base accompanyment. Glad I took the software route instead of buying another expensive keyboard.

I use a 1936 Hammond AV with TrekII percussion, a Leslie 45 with 2 speed conversion (dyanmic mics on upper/lower), a Wurlitzer 200A, and a Roland XP-10, and our other keyboardist uses a Korg Trinity. The Trinity goes into the board via a Behringer DI rackmount and my keyboards go to a 8 channel DOD rack mixer. I have a Nady compressor I have configured as a noise gate for the Wurly, a Nady effects unit to add presence, and the other half of the compressor gets the entire band signal. We are using In-ears and I use the insert jack on the FOH mixer to send a signal back to the in-ear unit to balance between my signal (or any instruments') and the overall band monitor send.

Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

My worship setup (every week, and touring sometimes, like this past week) is comprised of a Korg 0/1wpro, Alesis QS7.1, Kurzweil K2000, and a rack with an Alesis QSR, Korg Wavestation SR and Oberheim Matrix 1000. There's nothing I really can't do with this setup.

Since we do some of the most contemporary stuff, I try to stay near the original sound, but not too close, the same with some of the riffs, too. I keep them close so people recognize them and don't get too distracted by the difference, but I do take some liberties.

The good thing about having older gear is that there are tons of affordable resources for them, and I know them inside out. Most I bought brand new back in the days when I had money. A family has taken a toll on that, but I upgrade every so often. I am considering the TritonX76 to replace the 0/1 and K2000. The jury is still out. Getting to a store to play with one is a 5 hour drive.

Hang around, this is a great place to learn just about anything musical.

Jay

Originally posted by AUSSIEKEYS:

I thought DANS was rather humourous :)

he made me laugh. :D

or he was just telling it like it is :confused:

surely in your old sunday school building there is a piano like that? Ive played many.

wasnt rude to me. :thu:

I made me laugh too.

Sadly though, it is true.

We split the service duties between 3 people, organ, piano, & guitar. We alternate every 3 weeks.

We have fund raisers to pay the heating bill...

It always amazes me when I hear of these guys who have all this great equipment for church services.

We just don't have the numbers for that sort of thing.

I get that piano tuned regularly (at my expense), and it is just so old, it never retains the pitch for more than a couple of Sundays.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by DanS:

We have fund raisers to pay the heating bill...

It always amazes me when I hear of these guys who have all this great equipment for church services.

Sad, but so true. In my experience, it's pretty rare to find great equipment that is church-owned. Everyone I play with, other than the drummer, brings their own stuff.

Originally posted by DanS:

I get that piano tuned regularly (at my expense), and it is just so old, it never retains the pitch for more than a couple of Sundays.

The problem with the piano not keeping in tune might be with big changes in temperature, especially when the heater kicks in after being off for a few days. Sometimes covering the piano with a heavy duty quilted blanket will help because it reduces the rate of temperature change.

I started tuning my piano at home a few years ago. Now I'm tuning the church piano (for free) because I can't stand playing it out of tune. I use a laptop with tuning software, cuz my ear isn't the best for pitch. Maybe this would work for you?

Murray

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

The last worship band I played often in had: a yamaha C2 grand, a yamaha clavinova CVP 96, Roland TD-8 stage drumset, and guitar mixed upfront into a Mackie 1602 subout to drum monitor, vocal monitor and keyboard monitors, stereo sent to main house mix.

Our church owns a Roland VK-8, and is about to buy a Kurz ME-1. No praise band setup yet, but we're talking about it. I accompany mass with a Kawai Grand right now. The VK-8 is only rarely employed.

Last parish, I played an A-100 - we also had piano, guitar, and drums. I kicked bass. That was for a gospel choir. They just got a KME-61 to add to the fun a couple of weeks ago.

And the parish before that, we had an Alesis QS-8 as our central board. Occasionally we'd get a bassist or acoustic guitarist to join in, and we had a Roland SP-202 for the teen choir so we could do some loop-based stuff. I left nearly 4 years ago now, but I bet the SP-202 still has my samples of One Nation Under a Groove and Spiral loaded, LOL. In fact, I bet my second parish still has my sequence of the first Gloria I wrote loaded in their KT-88. That was 10 years ago. Bunch of technophobes...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I typically use a Yamaha MIDI Grand with a Motif Rack ES, and a Hammond C3 with a Leslie 122. If more synth stuff is required on a given weekend, I use a Roland A90 and a Roland XP-50 to drive the Motif Rack ES and a Korg M1R. When appropriate, I also play a Scandalli accordion...of course it's almost never appropriate.

Greg

For my example, only the Korg Trinity is owned by the church, and all other equipment is mine that I got at *really* cheap prices (except the Roland XP10, because it was brand new on the market). I am in charge of obtaining the sound equipment for my church, and we also have the 'cash flow' issues that DanS aludes to, so I have donated alot of my odds and ends to make do.

Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

For us, it's not only a cash flow problem, it's a parishoner flow issue as well (althought the 2 are intricately entwined of course).

I few weeks ago I turned to the congregation to announce one of the hymns, so shocked was I to see the low turnout, I blurted out "Whoa, where is everybody?"

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I've been diverting money from my pipe organ repair budget, since I don't use it much. Good thing it's holding up, though - 14-minute chant setting of The Reproaches coming up Good Friday, all pipe organ. THAT would sound weird on the VK.

And I donate a lot of gear too. The KME for my old parish is coming out my pocket.

We're doing pretty well on the parishioner front, but contributions are still down - everyone around here is scared about the auto industry. I gotta take another 5% off next year's budget, grumble...

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I've never been part of a praise band, with the 'mean B3' and leslie, electric guitars, drums... I've never felt comfortable with the idea of bringing in drums.. but that's only because the odd person requesting the possibility (never a musician) thinks that a "joyful noise" will solve all membership issues.. emphasis on noise...

But when it's the real deal, done well, complete with a legit gospel choir, it must be something! Daf, I'd love to hear you in your element someday.

On a given Sunday, I'm on piano (a problematic yamaha with that horrible plastic wood finish) plus cello and recorder. We improvise, we solo, we fill in time, we entertain ourselves if not others. There's often extra violins, and maybe a flute, but you never know. Kind of a spontaneous free for all, and I like it that way.

Sat nights I sub in a catholic church, and they have a powerful Rodgers organ that I like playing. But I hardly ever do since the congregation uses the GIA-Gather book, which is more piano-friendly. So I play on their Big Name Digital Piano, ...which i'm not so crazy about but what can you do. :)

My old congregation has a functional hammond from the 60's. From hindsight, it was a pretty nice organ. The melody range was clear, and the separate volume pedals for each manual went from zero to full. It was comfortable to play, and easy to lead the singing. (unlike the Lowrey at my present church, with it's noisy pedal board and slider for volume control. Don't ask me what the foot controller is for - not volume, and only a minute degree of swell. They tell me there's nothing wrong with it. Needless to say, I avoid playing it til I get a few complaints from the old people) (old. :) who's talking)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived