Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Positioning hi-fi speakers next to LCD monitor

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.

As with many other users I am tight for space and would like to know if my regular Hi-Fi speakers can be placed on the same shelf as my 19" LCD monitor.

Will the unshielded design of my "Mirage M190i" speakers cause damage to my monitor?

(I know I should have proper monitors, but the money is not there right now...)

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not with an LCD. It is a problem with CRT ('tube') monitors.

As an aside... it probably wouldn't strictly damage a CRT but cause 'colour bleeding' where you'd get a section of weird colours on your monitor, and if you left the speaker there long enough it would hang around for a while, maybe a few days or something. Though some monitors enable you to trigger their 'degauss' function so you can get rid of it immediately. (Although I tested that out of curosity once by holding a large driver with a sizable magnet next to a monitor, and degauss failed. Fortunately it 'wore off' a few days later!)

I now know why you are called "Senior Member"! You've really helped me out. Thanks a lot!

My somewhat cramped studio space (alright... it's a converted spare bedroom...) thanks you too!

I can't bear to part with my CP-70B, and will do anything to keep enough room for it.

:)

BTW, the reason shielded monitors are required by a CRT is so that the CRT doesn't affect the sound in the monitors. I mean, who cares if the screen colors get goofed up!

I saw a funny thing once, long ago. A guy in the office had discovered the cool thing that a magnet did to B&W monitors, which is what most were at the time -- it does a kind of hurricane thing and the screen goes right back to normal when the magnet is pulled away. The funny part is he walked up to a color monitor. There was a hardware guy in the room, and you could see him cry "Noooooooo" in slow motion as the magnet approached the screen -- but too late. Gee, doesn't the hurricane look cool in color? Only, when the magnet pulls away, the hurricane doesn't ... oops! That was before screens had built-in degaussers too.

I also remember sharing a house with a band mate and our big color TV always looked like crap, with horizontal discoloration bands and darkness at the bottom. Then one day we pulled the big EV PA cabinet off the TV for a gig or something, and gee, the TV worked a lot better! (DOH!)

Originally posted by Conspiring Android:

I now know why you are called "Senior Member"! You've really helped me out. Thanks a lot!

My somewhat cramped studio space (alright... it's a converted spare bedroom...) thanks you too!

Actually I'm pretty new 'round here myself!

But thanks. There's so much mud-slinging and ingratitude online, it's nice to have positive feedback. :)

Archived