Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Yamaha Stage Pianos

WestHarp

Hi! The new German Music Store Cologne catalogue (which came today) showed two new stage pianos from Yamaha:

Yamaha CP300 (successor of P250):

-Graded Hammer Action

-128-voice polyphony

-50 voices + 480 XG, 12 Drumkits

-new 3-Layer Stereo AWM-Samples with Sustain- and Key-Off-Samples

-Half-Pedaling

-Pitch Bend and Modulation Wheel

-4 Zone Masterkeyboard Functions

-64 User-Performances

-additional XLR-Outputs

-2x30W Speaker System

-16-Track Sequencer, 140.000 notes

Yamaha CP33 (successor of P90):

-Graded Hammer Action

-64-voice polyphony

-14 voices + variations for each

-new 3-Layer Stereo AWM-Samples with

Sustain- and Key-Off-Samples

-Half-Pedaling

-Pitch Bend and Modulation Wheel (above the keys!)

-2 Keyboard Zones for Layers and Splits

The CP300 looks exactly like the P250. The CP33 looks like it may be about 10 cm deeper than the P90. No Prices yet and no weights. Available in June.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at Yamaha's site to include their press releases and found nothing regarding the CP300.

Bets anyone?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

The addition and placement of pitch bend/mod wheels on the CP33 welcome. I thought they were going to call it P95 or so. If it were to be expandable, this would be a must have. The portable digital piano market now looks lucratively competitive.
We have time, but none to waste.

Originally posted by Analogaddict:

What the... First the "Juno-D", now new "CP" pianos! Are we already out of letter combinations..? :freak:

They had to innovate somewhere :D

It's the world's first 88 hammer action acoustic guitar by the looks of their other products with the same name.

Rumour is they had development problems with the 31 watt amp and 129 polyphony engine :D

Thak you burningbusch for the link.

Curiuos about the sound of the Mono piano. Yamaha are not yet telling us the sizes of the samples they put in. The CP33 looks interesting as a controller, but how come it weighs the same as the P140? We had clamoured for such, but below 15kg and possibly with no more than 80 keys.

For me, the CP33 looks very interesting, I like the size and weight (even lighter would have been nice, but I can live with 39 lbs). I'm glad they included pitch and mod wheels. All in all, looks like a possible replacement for my P120

Won't know till I try it out, though. Looking forward to that.

Sure hope they got the Rhodes right (in other words, I'm hoping it sounds like a real Rhodes of some kind - stage or suitcase, is playable and expressive, and that the velocity-switching is implemented with subtlety and taste).

Only problem is, I can't afford one right now, even if I loved it!

OK...I NEED the P300.Today. Anyone wanna buy a P250 the day these are available?

Also very curious about the mono piano, as the need for better mono pianos has been a rallying cry for me for a long time.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Sorry about not including a link, a few threads back. The 300 does have a mono piano sound with 2 (I think)variations. According to the site, the 300 has 50 panel voices, that's 5 more than the 250, plus 2 variations each. With that info, I'm hoping it has 3 DIFFERENT clav. sounds (actual pickup settings) unlike the 250, that ACTUALLY only has one, the other 2 are merely phased and wah'd versions of the same sound.

I think what the P-series now needs is a dedicated piano module, a replacement of the P50m. As it is, owners of previous P-models don't need to buy another keybed just for new sounds. Kurz have the ME-1, whereas an expanded XV2020 provides Roland's piano sounds. In my opinion, Korg do not seem to have a tradition of piano-focused products. Therefore, Yamaha need an alternative packaging of their top piano sounds (the ES rack is a synth and doesn't have P-series pianos). In line with the new "Vintage renaming saga", I suggest Yamaha offers a CP50m.

What would be the point in launching a new product with sounds fron the previous/older model?

There is a chance that they will be worse though. :D

eg.When the P90 came out the rhodes was much less useable than the one on the P120.

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

Originally posted by InfoSal:

The P60, P90, P140 and P70 were launched without any real new sounds.

Could you point out what the original source the P140' third grand (Grand Piano 3) came from? I liked the sound and even ready to buy a prior model, but only with this one. I suppose this piano was introduced in P140, wasn't it?

Originally posted by bloodsample:

What are the audio inputs on these thing for? Is it to simply run an audio source through the internal speakers?

I believe so, although on the P250 I tried the audio doesn't pass through to the outputs which makes it less useful for putting another board through to save using a mixer.

Archived