Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy Birthday Steve Perry!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um... I ain't young, but I'll say this... I say Steve Perry sucks. Journey... yuck. I don't care how talented the band is or if Neil Schon is some kinda wonderful guitarist, i think Steve Perry rocks almost as little as Dave Matthews. Horrible stuff, IMO. I stopped believing. I couldn't hold on to that feelayayaying... Ugh. Not good. The lights went out in that citayyyy. Awful. Blech.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Hey! I want to be there, in my citay! :) Okay, I liked "Escape" when it came out. It was good pop, along the same lines as REO Speedwagon, and the little girlies liked to hear him screech and warble on the boombox while we made out on the beach. For that reason and that reason alone, I salute you, Steve Perry. Well, and the fact that you're a helluva nice guy. My positive spin. So, now I come...to you...with o-pen arrrrms... :D - Jeff

Jeff... don't you mean you wanna be theyayyayyyayyyayair in your cittay by the bayeeeyayayyyy? Ugh. I just made myself sick. I remember being in 8th grade and having every girl in my class love Journey. I think I hid that tape from them because they played it every day.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

ERIK...STOP MAKING FUCKING POSTS LIKE THAT WHEN I'M DRINKING CAPTAIN MORGAN AND VANILLA COKE!!! That shit's way too expensive for me to be spitting all over my keyboard! And, speak of the devil...I guess Neal Schon and the drummer from Journey are starting a new band with (GUESS WHO????...drum roll)...Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony. No shit.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Sorry I made you spit out your yucky drink, Tedster. You white people are crazy. Captain Morgan and Vanilla Coke? Ick. That's almost as disgusting as Toto, which is only slightly less gross than Journey. No offense meant, of course. Now I feel bad. I think we're failing to address the important issues here: What the fuck kind of accent does Steve Perry have, anyway? Why does he sound like such a douchebag when he sings? And... What kind of justice is there in a world where Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Wendy O. Williams are dead and Steve Perry is allowed to live? Dammit... I want some fucking answers, people! BTW, Micheal Anthony should be fucking ashamed of himself.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Blech. How sad. So sad, indeed, that so-called lovers of music - regular contributors to a MUSIC FORUM - would celebrate this corny, soulless wart on the ass of FM radio. Sadder still when I think that many of you were adults when this music was being made... when other, REAL, IMPORTANT music was being made. Perhaps you couldn't hear it over Steve Perry's howls, but that music was there, and it changed the world. Like the timeless critique of modernity offered by Styx. Like the plaintive sound-poems of longing intoned by Foreigner. Like the unbelievable chemistry generated when great musical minds joined forces. Asia, anyone? Toto? But I guess you people missed out on all of that wonderful music. I'm probably just wasting my time. You are all a bunch of losers.

This thread makes me wee-eee-eek I'm 'onna die Wretching Puking And Heaving It's tearing me apart Every every wor-rrr-rrd It's tearing me apart Oh, yes it's quite absurd All this Wretching Puking And Heaving Nah nah nah nah nah nah Nah nah nah nah nah Nah nah nah nah nah nah Nah nah nah nah nah (note: these are the most intelligent of all Journey lyrics) Ugh! :eek: :mad: :o :confused: :freak:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I personally think the guys one of the most amazing voices in modern music. Having seen him perform hundreds of shows, I doubt there's too many that could duplicate his style, and even fewer that could do it for as long as he has. You may not like him, but you cannot deny his ability to hit every note, without autotune.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]I remember being in 8th grade and having every girl in my class love Journey.[/b][/quote]If that was 1981, we faced the same predicament (i.e., how to like just enough Journey to get into the little hotties but not enough that your Ozzy/ACDC friends would beat the snot out of you). Oh well...as long as you didn't listen to Journey ev-er-y ev-er-y daaayyyyyy... :D - Jeff

The horror, the horror.... I don't care how technically gifted Mr. Perry is... he is the anti-rock.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

My only positive Journey memory is watching Rodney Dangerfield dance to "Any Way You Want It" on the golf course in Caddyshack. What's Steve Smith doing these days? He was a pretty good drummer. I've never been a Neal Schon fan, though. That guy should have rocked out on at least ONE song over the years. Steve P. was a unique vocal talent, but then so was Freddy Mercury, and I can't stand listening to either of them. Ooh, I just had a horrible thought - Steve singing Queen hits like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Are The Champions." Yikes!! :eek:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally Journey were an offshoot of Santana :freak: [(Neal Schon & Gregg Rolie) + jazzy drummer Steve Smith & teen-heartthrob Perry]. Guaranteed to earn a kazillion bucks....just like Led Zipperland recombinating the Yardbirds. I will give them credit in two areas: One of the lastingly popular & catchy "Na na na" songs (can't recall the title but you turn it up (or off) whenever it's on the radio. Perry is the best Sam Cooke-style voice. Not as soulful as Otis Redding or Rod Stewart but a better "blindfold test".

Man, you guy's are just jealous... :eek: You make me weak, I wanna die Just when, you said we'd try Lovin', touchin' squeeeezin' each other Yeah, man, the young hotties would scream at that one. Betcha they made some money, too :D Personally, I've heard better, but they were good in their time and space. (parking space, outer space, in your face)
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

[quote]Originally posted by d: [QB]Originally Journey were an offshoot of Santana :freak: [(Neal Schon & Gregg Rolie) + jazzy drummer Steve Smith & teen-heartthrob Perry]. /QB][/quote]Journey`s original drummer was Aynsley Dunbar, who is totally amazing. Rolie did the vocals for their first three albums. I`ve said it a million times. Anyone who thinks they know Journey should check out their first albums before Perry showed up (not to mention that lame keyboard player). I personally didn`t think Rolie was that great a singer but a killer keyboardist. Schon was off the freakin scale.

Right on, Skip. Journey's first album was, I believe, just called "Journey". Their second was called "Look into the Future". It wasn't til their third album that they decided they'd better quit being musical and start selling some records and told Gregg Rolie not to sing anymore and got Schteve Perrier.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [QB]What's Steve Smith doing these days? He was a pretty good drummer. I've never been a Neal Schon fan, though. That guy should have rocked out on at least ONE song over the years.[QB][/quote]I did a live remote of Steve Smith's band "Vital Information" a few years ago in Chicago. He was recording every one of his live gigs on a world tour, and one of the Chicago cuts wound up on the live CD along with a bunch of European dates. Steve was excellent, but so were guitarist Frank Gambale (ex-Chick Corea and Australian as hell) and Tom Coster (ex-Santana and a B3 guru). WAAAAY different than any of the radio-mush you remember. RP

No shit, Tedster? I mean, about Neil Schon/Sammy Hagar/Michael Anthony/+Journey's drummer getting a band together? That's a trip. Oh, yeah, back on topic. Happy Birthday, Steve Perry. Winter ish sheer again Oh Lord Haven't been hooome in a year Oh more I hope she ho-olds on little longer Yeah, his enunciation was a trip. A vocal teacher I had once said that enabled him to hold some of those notes more easily. I like your theories about the nuts in a vise too.

Archived