Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinion about a new Nord Electro Piano

silentman

Hello everyone.So after almost 3 weeks now,We all feel better with the new electro pianos,especially with the Steinway one.But let me ask you something.Why don't they construct a new piano with larger size, to differ from the stage pianos and to tell us that we only have to work with One Acoustic Grand,one Rhodes and the B3.This wouldn't cost me a lot as the USB function in always a great solution.I would prefer to have 1 great piano,1 Rhodes and maybe if it fits and another of the other pianos.Double the size of the Acoustic Grand and we will be happy.

Rig : Nord Electro 2 rack with Fatar SL-880(old version)

Nord Electro 2 73,Microkorg,Nord Lead 2X

I am waiting for answers and opinions

P.S. Beyond that I am also pleased with Clavia that continues to update the instrument.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would get on board (no pun intended) with that idea, except I'd take the Wurlitzer over the Rhodes. And come to think of it, I use the Clavinet quite a bit, so it would be nice to be able to include that as well. I could certainly live with just Wurly, clav, and piano if it meant an improved piano sample (plus organ too, of course).

This thread is akin to what I have in mind ... I think there is a potential for a variation of the Nord Electro which is EP (and possibly, piano) focused.

It has been often decided that the Electro keys are a compromise between organ-keys and piano-keys... and people have commented on how much better the Electro's EPs sound when used with a weighted controller.

Now, my idea is this: an Electro with a weighted keyboard, but WITHOUT the organ. Yes, the organ is popular but thats covered by the Electro and Stage. This removes the need for compromising... and it targets a specific niche that overlaps less with the existing products....

It would be a new market niche to be a dedicated EP replacement (Rhodes, Wurly, Pianet, Clav)... much like the equivalent to the dedicated B3 clonewheels available (CX-3, XK-3, VK-8, etc)

AND (should production costs permit by removing the organ components) allow for a better piano (grand, baby grands, honky tonks, harpsicord?).

Another marketing aspect of it would be visual. I know Nord would most likely not leave the "red" trademark look... but the vintage suitcase electric piano look is very much in vogue (they are featured alot in MTV video clips, its got "street cred" i guess), and to emphasize its "dedicated EP" focus, it could really be something shaped/styled more in that fashion. It could probably still be in red. I think that could really be an interesting product for the market.

In some ways... if Nord doesn't do this, I hope someone else would (someone who doesnt have to make a keyboard RED for example :) )... like Korg (who are long overdue for revamping their crappy EP sounds, and is about time they paid attention to this and did something outstanding which can be ported over to all their other products)... or Kurzweil (who are always great at pianos anyway).

I'd rather play clav on an unweighted board thanks.

You'd think Korg could roll out a board based on the CX-3 with a string model providing a clav and a physical modelled rhodes, a kinda CX-3/Z1 cross.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Yeah but... what'd be the point? I mean, the organ modelling aint exactly hogging the electro, so why make an entirely different model just for weighted keys? The stage 73 has all that and then some... and they do have an electro rack, which, if you just wanted ep sounds, would be pretty affordable and you could hook it up to the action of your choice.
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Yeah, I don't see the point of re-creating the Electro. They could satisfy my needs by simply creating a acoustic piano "mega sample." That way the user has the option of using up to six sounds with smaller sample sizes (they way it is now), or using the larger piano sample with just 1-2 extra sounds.

I can't help but wonder why they made the memory so small in the electro and if there is a way to crack open and hack my Electro and add more. Right now though I am pretty happy with the new sounds. But yeah, a memory monster piano sound would be a good option for those who want even more quality.

If, by eliminating the organ section, they could reduce the number of knobs and switches so that they could fit on a front panel. Then a nice flat top (black, not Red) so you could put another keyboard on it. At that point the legs make sense, if they're not a PITA to put on. You wouldn't have to deal with carrying around and setting up these ugly stands. This is what I was hoping for with the original Stage.

I would keep the clav. Yes, it's tough to play on a a weighted keyboard but would be nice to have. They could set the touch so that it responds with a very light touch (I believe they do this with the organ on the Stage).

Busch.

Originally posted by Buddy1065:

I can't help but wonder why they made the memory so small in the electro and if there is a way to crack open and hack my Electro and add more. Right now though I am pretty happy with the new sounds. But yeah, a memory monster piano sound would be a good option for those who want even more quality.

I'm sure that Clavia chose the amount of memory used in order to hit a certain price point. At the time of design, if they could've fit more memory for the same price - I'm sure they would have.

As for hacking the Electro for more memory, I'm certain it's physically possible - but it's immensely past anything I'd be able to accomplish. Also, the samples are stored in a proprietary format which--again--I'm sure could be hacked, but not something I'd even begin to know how to do.

I'm confused. Doesn't the Stage address all of these desires? Better pianos, weighted keys?

As I've stated in the Electro forum, I'm extremely happy with my Electro. It covers the EP bases very well, I love the Hammond clone and Clavia has continued to make incremental improvements. I'll bet they're all kicking themselves for ever putting an acoustic piano sample in the Electro to begin with. Even though the whole point of the Electro was to reproduce electro=-mechanical keyboards the grief they've been hounded with over the past few years has been constant. I'm EXTREMELY thankful that it is NOT a weighted keyboard as that would turn organ playing into a chore. I'm also very comfortable with the feel of the keyboard for EPs. I've tried playing them from my P120 and enjoy the feel of the Electro much more.

I understand why everyone keeps coming up with things they'd like different or added, but why keep picking on the Electro and Clavia?

Why not bag on Yamaha or Roland to create your dream keyboard?

In short, yes, those issues were addressed with the Stage. For my part, I'm not suggesting that Clavia re-create the Electro with weighted keys. Not at all. I think it would be pointless. However, creating a larger, optional acoustic piano sample for use with the Electro is well within their means.

I don't think anyone here is necessarily "picking" on Clavia. I think everyone here loves their Electro (I know I do!), and since Clavia has continually shown that updating and tweaking the Electro's performance is still a priority, I supposed we can't help but make suggestions.

Not to mention that the Stage costs almost twice as much as the Electro. I, for one, am not made of money.

I did not intend to pick on Clavia either. And like others have suggested, there is alot of common ground with what I propose which is covered by the Stage and Electro, and I can understand that it may not be an ideal Clavia product. The only reason it was addressed to them really, was because they have the best hardware Rhodes and Wurly emulations at the moment, and in that 'dream EP-dedicated' keyboard I mentioned above, they would naturally be the ones I want on it.

So perhaps, like I said, a nice alternative would be to have Korg or Kurzweil take up on something like this.

Korg I think, would be particularly suitable since the quality of their EPs used across their products are really dated compared to other brands. It's time they took some R&D out and knocked up a really high quality EP emulation up to par with what Nord, Kurzweil, Yamaha and even Roland are using. And it's not like they are not capable of high quality sampling or modelling... one gets the idea that they've just been focusing on other things in recent years. I think if they put the sorta dedication and effort that went into their CX-3 to creating a flat-top, Rhodes-suitcase-lookin, light and portable, dedicated EP keyboard, it would be an awesome thing indeed.

And as a visual reference to what I was describing... I've always thought that the mock keyboard illustration on NI's Elektrik Piano box cover looked like a cool keyboard to have if it actually existed:

http://shop.soniclab.ch/images/ni_elektrikpiano.jpg

Archived