Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland vr760 with B4 II

pooldude

Hi-I just got Native Instruments B4II. I want to control it with my Roland VR760. Does anyone have any experience using the VR760 as a controller? I would like to use the drawbars on the VR760 to control the drawbars in the B4II. If I can figure this out, I can probably figure out how to use the other functions I need. The B4II has midi learn capability, but I'm unsure how to setup the VR760 to output CC#'s.

Thanks in advance

Andy Trahern

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the manual, the drawbars (Harmonic Bars in Roland-ese) do not transmit over MIDI, so you will not be able to do what you want with the 760.

You can configure the 760 to receive drawbar values via CC #70-78, but those values aren't transmitted.

This according to the MIDI Specification chart in the manual that I just downloaded from the Roland website.

Sven, I saw that too but I'm pretty sure they do tramsit, but maybe not as CCs. I think it might be SYSEX, which would be a PITA and probably not doable with the B4II. I've owned all these clones at one point and they're all different.

The best the poster can do is try the MIDI learn in the setup section and otherwise contact NI.

Busch.

Hey Busch... I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the 760 has that functionality. If it does, it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual (MIDI Spec nor elsewhere).

I'd be interested in seeing a MidiOX capture of the 760's output, but I don't think you'd see anything transmitted in real time corresponding to drawbar changes. I'm willing to be proved wrong on this, of course. ;)

The MIDI spec does show the Sysex offset for the drawbars (p.109), but I'm guessing that it's not sent in realtime.

My experience was with the VK-7, not the VR760. I did a MIDI OX and discovered (I'm almost postive now) SYSEX. Andy could just test with any kind of MIDI device to see if it transmits anything when a drawbar is pulled.

To not be able to record drawbar changes in a MIDI performance seems more than a little strange. My B3 can't and I'll never buy another one ot those things again. :)

Busch.

Talked to Roland today. Unfortunately, everyone was right-no drawbar CC transmission. Does anyone have a suggestion as to another keyboard with drawbars or faders that will do the job? I really like the action on the vr-760. Thanks

andy

Archived