Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any experience with "Running In" keyboard amps/speakers

alby

I have just bought a Motion Sound KP200 in the past 3 weeks, and have used it 3 times in the past 3 weeks on a regular weekly gig.

To be honest in the first two weeks I was pretty disappointed with the sound, especially playing the the Grand Piano 1 on a Yamaha P90 through it.

I went back to the shop after the first week and played the shop floor KP200 and it sounded great. So I bought better quality cables to use between the keyboard and the amp. Not a lot of difference.

Then last night, on the third gig, the motion sound sounded great on the Grand Piano 1.

Then I remember reading something about "running in" speakers in relation to Hi Fi speakers. I guess the same thing must apply to the Motion Sound.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Regards

Alby

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by alby:

Then I remember reading something about "running in" speakers in relation to Hi Fi speakers. I guess the same thing must apply to the Motion Sound.

All (moving-coil, at least*) loudspeakers have a "running in" or "breaking in" period as the suspension system loosens up (although it may already have been "broken in" at the factory.)

Whether or not this is enough to totally transform the sound of the loudspeaker is another matter, and probably not so likely.

(*Almost all are except for "exotic" designs such as electrostatics and the like.)

Then last night, on the third gig, the motion sound sounded great on the Grand Piano 1.
Of course the trouble is that there are so many variables--loudspeaker positioning, volume, entirely different acoustics if you gigged in different places, and your own memory.

But if you're satisifed with them, then by now that's probably all that counts. :)

Originally posted by soundscape:

Of course the trouble is that there are so many variables--loudspeaker positioning, volume, entirely different acoustics if you gigged in different places, and your own memory.

Funny, I was just about to say that. :rolleyes:;)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by alby:

No everything was the same. Same venue, same speaker postioning. Same cables.

Of course we all end up making casual observations (or whatever the word is for listening?), but if you're dealing with potentially very marginal differences, then you really need to the comparison under very tightly controlled conditions because it's too easy to hear things that aren't there. In this case, the easiest thing to do is to take measurements, if only to track if 'running-in' has occurred--a bit difficult retrospectively!

That said, to insert my own 'casual' experience here, I have found that, for instance, sometimes very slight EQ adjustments suddenly 'snap' the sound 'into focus', so I guess even a bit of difference could suddenly mean everything 'sounded right'.

Practically speaking--the sound might have changed enough that it became more appealing, and it's not a bad idea to allow for some running-in before taking back future new speaker purchases for a refund, but beyond this it's really a technical question (which may or may not interest you.)

But if you want to explore the subject further, there's a very good (but quite technical) article at:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/loudspeakers/SpeakerBreakIn.php

Archived