Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good "Drum Fill" book for keyboard players.

Firstly, I would much rather record a live drummer than have to program my own drums but....(sigh)...more times than not, I end up programming drum tracks for a lot of clients. A LOT ! I listen (and have listened intently) to drummers, live and on CD/LP..etc...and I am truly in love with the instrument and in live concerts I end up listening and watching the drummer more so than any other instrument. But, my fills are getting somewhat predictable. I'm reaching for the same or similar fills time and time again. Are there any really good drum fill books where fills are notated on score ?
eightyeightkeys

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get the twiddly bits drums disk. It´s only about $30, and well worth it. Tons of patterns, fills in midi - no programmed, but played by drummers in electronic sets. You can always open up it in a sequencer and look at the notation if that approach works better. I have a few disks from that series and I find them well worth it for the price.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

[quote]Originally posted by d-dmusic: [b]Thanks Rod. Is it under twiddly bits.com or ....?[/b][/quote]They are distributed by Keyfax. http://www.keyfax.com/keyfax/prdct.html I have the 'Drums and Percussion' one.. I can't really vouch for the others, but I recall someone saying the Bill Bruford series was good.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

As a drummer I just want to say one thing to all of you keyboard players. [b]LESS IS MORE.[/b] So many times I know that I'm hearing drum parts done by keyboard players because they have fast 16th note rolls every 8 bars ! It gets sickening! It tires out the listener. If the same rolls are played over and over they lose their IMPACT. Even though I can play very fast, I would rather play 8th note rolls only a few times in a 4 minute song TO WAKE UP THE LISTENER. If you are talking about METAL though this may be a bit differnent, but who ever heard of metal with sequenced drums? Dan http://teachmedrums.com

But don't you think that fills copped from a book will be "predictable"...or perhaps I should say [i]generic[/i]? While you may find a source that fits your goal, I think it'd be better if you derived drum fills (as with any musical material) from the context of the piece at hand.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote]But don't you think that fills copped from a book will be "predictable"...or perhaps I should say generic? [/quote]Improvisation lends itself to the piano roll just as easy as an instrument in hand. It's just a matter of how wide or narrow you perspective is I guess.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

There's no way a keyboard players flabby fingers can duplicate the speed of hard bouncing sticks. Fills in general are a kind of shortened pattern and there's a repeated vocabulary of patterned fills that can be discerned by listening to drummers. It's possible to emulate good fills with editing, not really possible to play them on the keyboard. (there are some exceptions to this rule) I think if you find a preprogrammed drum fill and utilize the fill appropriately, that's good. That's a skill right there, though time consuming. If you make your own fills, mimicking a drummer with editing will do (again time consuming). Otherwise, you need to own a midi drum pad, which I think is the second best solution to having your own set of drums in the house. I found that Drum Trax had a good library of fills, but since I bought a set of drums, it's all natural and don't use midi drums no mo'.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

Archived