Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new receptor keyboard?

C J Hoffman

Hi Ted,

I would suggest that any new receptor, keyboard or rackmount, really ought to have firewire drive capability. Hey, if the airline slams my receptor hard drive on the way to Detroit, I want to be able to plug in a drive to any receptor, and do the show. And isn't there a performance benefit to be had from sample libraries that can stream on a seperate disk? I suppose Muse Research would need to format such a drive to work with a receptor.

How about a built in computer keyboard and mouse surface?

And a means to secure a small LCD monitor to the in music-stand fashion to the top of the keyboard? This could be fun.

Cheers, :idea:

CJH

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ted Rackley from Muse Research:

. . . I'd love to see a Receptor keyboard. What should the specs be? Who manufactures the greatest keyboard action, worthy of the ultimate keyboard instrument? If you guys had to design it, what should it have? Knobs, buttons, sliders, etc.? Maybe a slot/space to install the new NI Kore controller or the B4D? And VERY importantly, what would you be willing to pay for it?

I would prefer that on one hand, a maxed-out Receptor remains a studio rack version since it would be too delicate for the road. On the other hand, the keyboard version be geared towards the player without duplicating any of the already available workstation functions. A good keybed, real time controls (knobs and sliders, wheels not stick-at least for me), and the same display on the current Receptor would not break our banks. In short, for the stage, just pack that rack in into an S90-like body.
We have time, but none to waste.

Hi Christopher,

The Receptor has USB2 on it. You can get one of these:

http://www.glyphtech.com/site/products_gt050q.html

I have done SOME testing with this model. We do not have the resources to test every drive on the market, so for now I would only recommend Glyph. The drive comes in HFS+ format, but if you use Mac OS X disk utility to format the drive for FAT32, you can use it on Windows, Mac and Receptor. However, you get much better disk streaming performance with the internal ATA drive on Receptor than when using external drives with something like Kontakt 2. So I still recommend a large internal drive. 2nd drives for streaming are a good idea when using a personal computer, which writes swap files or functions as DAW, where you are writing multiple tracks of audio at once. On Receptor, once you copy the samples for your plugins to it, you are done.

I like the rack-mount idea...

I have fiddled with the NeKo, which is cool, but it still runs Windows, so you have latency, and it's a little large. I have heard that some people surf the web on these while onstage....

Plus, being a guitarist myself, with a little bit of keyboard chops, I'm not sure I could afford NeKo, and personally I can't deal with fewer than 61 keys...

I like the S90 size idea.

How much should it (Receptor keyboard) cost? Should there be 61-key and 88-key versions? Or just 88?

By the way, if you didn't see the other topic, I added a video on how to install B4 II and other NI plugins on the Receptor:

http://homepage.mac.com/tedrackley/FileSharing63.html

Except why should I have to throw another $1500 at it to make all those wonderful channels of output useful in a professional live and studio situation?

And I'm sure as hell not buying the Behringer.

k.

Originally posted by BOPBEEPER:

I vote for Kawai MP8 action with built in ashtray please (make it 85mm Dia.to double as drink holder) :thu:

+1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

+1 on the extra outputs.

How about a "receptor control panel" - with mid-size touch sensitive color display, maybe 6 x 8" - that would lie flat on my master keyboard, maybe with a bunch of extra faders and knobs, so I wouldn't have to try to use a mouse during live performances.

So, receptor + control panel + midi keyboard = brilliant set-up!!

Let each person get the keyboard they like....don't bother making a keyboard version, as everyone will nit-pick your choice of action.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Definitely don't make a keyboard version of Receptor. M-Audio is hard at work designing the next generation of controllers - once they pair their controllers with decent keybeds their controllers will be worth buying. Plus the new CME VX controllers look impressive with their motorized faders. Don't count fatar out yet - their 76 key usb controller is pretty impressive looking too - something I personnaly have been looking for - I just don't need 88 keys at a gig.

Originally posted by Tom Fiala:

+1 on the extra outputs.

How about a "receptor control panel" - with mid-size touch sensitive color display, maybe 6 x 8" - that would lie flat on my master keyboard, maybe with a bunch of extra faders and knobs, so I wouldn't have to try to use a mouse during live performances.

So, receptor + control panel + midi keyboard = brilliant set-up!!

Let each person get the keyboard they like....don't bother making a keyboard version, as everyone will nit-pick your choice of action.

You know these Ultra Mobile PCs are about to hit the market. 7" touch screen color display (some larger/some smaller). Runs Windows XP. 60GB Hard Drive. Roughly laptop performance. Expected to be $1,000 initially with the price dropping to around $500 in a year or so. Several manufacturers onboard. This could be viewed as competition for Receptor as you could certainly run VSTis on it, but not disk intensive soft synths like Ivory.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/images/features/2006/03-09umpc_01.jpg

I don't find the need for a display with Receptor. With a decent master controller and a bit of MIDI programming you can make it a seamless part of your setup.

Busch.

Keyboard or no keyboard?

I think there is some merit in making a keyboard version. I am one of the stage performers who prefers hands-on tweaking in an integrated unit. Besides, some good controllers are already as big and as heavy as stand-alone keyboards undermining the portabilty of the Receptor.

From a marketing point of view, the Receptor rack would remain invisible (unadvertised) on stage since the credit goes to the controller (believe me -many others like me only notice and attribute the sound to what the player actually plays).

Muse are pioneering a potential winner that may go to greater lengths when dressed in a keyboard. I do not think the Yamaha DX7 would have attained its height of popularity if it were a rack (which by the way exists, but remained relatively unknown). Those who loved the DX7 so much still use it as a controller. Maybe I am just a keyboard diehard.

We have time, but none to waste.

[. . .Except why should I have to throw another $1500 at it to make all those wonderful channels of output useful in a professional live and studio situation?

And I'm sure as hell not buying the Behringer.

k.. . .]

You don't need to spend $1500.00 or buy a Behringer. As far as D/A options go here are others besides Behringer and RME. For example you might get an old MOTU 2408(MKI, MKII, not the core system) for 150-300 dollars and use it as a stand alone format convertor.

I already to have an 828 mk II in my live rig, so I'll just use the ADAT bank to convert the channels if I need the seperate outs.

Not everyone needs the seperate outputs. Putting them on board Receptor would unavoidably make many people pay for a feature they don't need.

CJH

Originally posted by Christopher Hoffman:

you might get an old MOTU 2408(MKI, MKII, not the core system) for 150-300 dollars

But why should I have to?

Not everyone needs the separate outputs. Putting them on board Receptor would unavoidably make many people pay for a feature they don't need.

CJH

You're absolutely right. I guess the only reason that I keep harping on this is that I love the whole concept of the Receptor. I think it's an elegant piece of machinery. I want one. I just think it ought to be self-contained. Heck, my Emax had 8 channel outputs and another stereo pair.

A little rearranging, a few jacks, a few lines of code.

k.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Glyph GT050Q drive that works via USB2 and the Receptor, though the disk streaming performance is not as good as the internal drive. Do you plan to use Virtual Instruments that have lots of disk streaming, or do you use plugins where you just need to load the samples into RAM?

http://www.glyphtech.com/site/products_gt050q.html

Archived