Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

External SCSI CD-rom drive problem?

DanS

So since my aquisition of an S760 sampler a little while back, I've had to pick up a few peripherals.

I scored a Yamaha External SCSI CDR-W drive off Ebay. When I received it, plugged it in, and pressed the eject button. Nothing happened. Stuck my wife's cake tester in the little hole, nothing happened. Decided to wait until I had the rest of the peripherals for the sampler before trying it out again. So when I received the Jaz drive, I hooked everything up to the sampler. I figured that maybe the drive door was locked closed until it received a command to 'open'.

Well everything is connected, the S760 recognizes there are 2 drives hooked up to it, but the CD-rom drive tray still won't open. I can't get the sampler to format the Jaz cartridge either, but that's another issue.

Is it possible le cd-rom drive is fucké?

Any takers?

Thanks.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DanS:

So since my aquisition of an S760 sampler a little while back, I've had to pick up a few peripherals.

I scored a Yamaha External SCSI CDR-W drive off Ebay. When I received it, plugged it in, and pressed the eject button. Nothing happened. Stuck my wife's cake tester in the little hole, nothing happened. Decided to wait until I had the rest of the peripherals for the sampler before trying it out again. So when I received the Jaz drive, I hooked everything up to the sampler. I figured that maybe the drive door was locked closed until it received a command to 'open'.

Well everything is connected, the S760 recognizes there are 2 drives hooked up to it, but the CD-rom drive tray still won't open. I can't get the sampler to format the Jaz cartridge either, but that's another issue.

Is it possible le cd-rom drive is fucké?

Any takers?

Thanks.

I don't know much about your sampler or samplers in general, but I do know computer parts. Is there any way you can tell if the drive is getting power? (are there any lights on the drive,etc)

In my dealings with cd drives I have noticed that for the eject button on some models to work the drive has to be getting power. On some drives using the emergency eject just loosens the gears and the tray will pop out then you can pull it the rest of the way.

I doubt you do, but do you have a computer with a SCSI connector you can hook the Disc drive up to?

Being an external drive with its own paower cable, even if the CD is not connected to anything the eject button should open the tray. Try it without having it connected to the sampler. If it will not open, the CD/ROM has problems. It if will open, then double-check your

You man need to use a PC to format the Jazz cartridge. Make sure that the sampler uses a Win/DOS format. Some samplers use Mac format. I had to buy Mac formatted Zip disks for my Emu ESI-32. Even though it had a format option, you had to start with Mac formatted zip disks.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks guys.

The cd rom drive has power, makes whirry noises when I press the eject button, that's it.

I do have a SCSI card on my net PC, for ironically enough, another Yamaha (internal) burner.

The Roland is supposed to be able to format drives. Using a PC to format it will just keep the Roland from being able to read it.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Thanks guys.

The cd rom drive has power, makes whirry noises when I press the eject button, that's it.

I do have a SCSI card on my net PC, for ironically enough, another Yamaha (internal) burner.

The Roland is supposed to be able to format drives. Using a PC to format it will just keep the Roland from being able to read it.

Hmm.... odd. I've had a similar problem with an internal CD drive,3 months later I realized that it wouldn't read disc anymore so I replaced it.

If you can get it open take a flashlight and inspect the gears, it just might need a cleaning.

If it won't open at all chances are the gears are jammed up, if thats the case you could try to open it up or you could just replace it.

Now is this something that could have happened to it during shipping?

The gears would have to be coated with molasses for this puppy not to open.

I suppose something could have come loose. It could also be wear and tear. On a side note I have the habit of always closing a cd drive by pressing the button, not by pushing the tray.

Archived