Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Magazine Billing Services?

Dave The Rave

Why does Keyboard Mag's Billing Services (out of San Luis Obispo) keep sending me renewal notices? My subscription is good till April next year - it was a 2 year subscription that I'll renew (maybe) in February 2007. Every month, they send me another reminder....WHY??? What a waste of money and the Earth's resources!!! :mad:

Make it stop please!!!

:DTR

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WARNING: THIS IS A BOGUS RENEWAL NOTICE.

The answer is, it's not our billing service sending that to you at all. Below is the complete text of Ernie's heads-up about this, which we're running in April and should be on the Musicplayer front page:

No April Fool! Watch for misleading mail

Its come to our attention that some subscribers are being solicited for subscription renewals by a company unauthorized to do so. Please be on the lookout for official-looking mail claiming to be a Notice of Renewal / New Order from a company doing business as Magazine Billing Services, Publishers Billing Services, or other similar names, with return P.O. boxes in Salt Lake City, San Luis Obispo, and elsewhere. These are not bills, and they are not from Keyboard. These solicitations are not authorized, and though we know of cases where renewals have been eventually passed on to us, we cannot guarantee that orders sent to them will ever find their way to us. If youre ever unsure about the authenticity of a renewal offer, for safe and prompt service please call Keyboard Customer Service toll free at 1-800-289-9919 to renew directly with us. -Ernie Rideout

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Here's some helpful information from one of our circulation department colleagues:

Yes, the real ones go to Ohio.

A few points for telling the difference between our official renewal notices and those that come from unauthorized clearinghouses:

The fake ones all have the phrase "Notice of Renewal / New Order". The real ones never say that.

The fake ones also have a lot of fine print in blue ink on the reverse side. The real ones never do.

The fake ones show a "Control Number", usually in the top left. The real ones never say that.

Here is an MSNBC article that does a good job explaining what's going on:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/01/beware_magazine.html

In the case of Music Player, there are no clearinghouses authorized to accept offers from this many-named company. Clearinghouses exist to facilitate things like school fundraisers -- schools can't spend the time and hassle required to deal with hundreds of magazine publishers individually, so they submit the orders collected in the course of their fundraisers to clearinghouses who sort through them and pass the orders on to publishers like us. The "billing services" / "payment services" company does not submit orders to us under their own (constantly-changing!) names; they appear to mask themselves through shell companies and impersonate legitimate purposes like school fundraisers. Many orders are severely delayed, and many customers get extremely poor service. We are working to stamp out these misleading mailings. But until we succeed, the most important thing is to be careful about where you send your money, just like you're careful when you get an email claiming to be from your bank.

James Kaltreider

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen

Gee, that was quick.

I had let my subscription run out awhile back (trying to save some money). But I just got a great offer in the mail (lower than usual), so I re-subscribed. I wish I would have taken notice of the address though... :(

• 2 weeks later...
Just a note to say I'm un-pinning this topic now. Hasn't been a post since March 9, so I'm confident everyone got the message. If you ever stumble across the perpetrators, you have our blessing to break their knees.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived